Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4K HDR on Apple TV

neocleousneocleous Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

Hi Everyone,

I've seen this question asked but it seems to be a work in progress so I am a little confused what the current state of play is.

I've just bought a 4K HDR TV and obviously I want to use Plex to consume my content because it is the best!

Can you stream 4K HDR Remuxed MKV rips to an Apple TV? I know the apple TV won't natively play MKV files so can it transcode it to an MP4 container on the fly?

Thanks

Answers

• nigelpbnigelpb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,159 Plex Pass

The Plex client never transcodes. The Plex server does the transcoding. If the Plex client can Direct Play the particular media there will be no transcoding.

• neocleousneocleous Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

Thanks for the response and that was my question exactly, will Plex transcode the file into a format the Apple TV can play without losing quality and HDR meta data.

• Jecht SinJecht Sin Members Posts: 118 ✭✭

Yes, it should transcode from mkv to mp4. But if an audio or video format isn't supported by tvOS it may convert or break the transcoder.

• neocleousneocleous Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

Does it maintain the HDR info? I tried to use it with my PC which has HDMI 2 on it, I turned HDR on Windows 10 and my TV didn’t pickup the HDR signal the way it does with its built in video app.