Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How can I make background play more user friendly?

marvelharveymarvelharvey Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
in iOS

Am I using background play incorrectly?

In most media apps I use, I:
1) tap the play button
2) push the sleep button and that's it, media plays in the background.

In Plex however, I:
1) tap the play button
2) push the sleep button, but this stops the media
3) I then need to push the sleep button a 2nd time, bringing the background media controls on screen
4) tap the background-play button
5) finally, push sleep again to switch off the screen

Is this correct? Is there a setting I need to flip to not pause media when the sleep button is hit?

Answers

• JeffyFisherJeffyFisher Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

If there is a setting then I’d like to know about it too as I do exactly what you do. It’s not a show-stopper but it is a bit of a pain.

• DaveBinMDaveBinM Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,394 Plex Employee

What kind of media are you playing? I just tried doing exactly what you described with some music, and it worked exactly as expected. Pressed sleep, and it kept playing.

Server: Intel Hades Canyon NUC (NUC8i7HNK) [i7-8705G, 16GB 2400Mhz RAM, 500GB NVMe PCIe SSD]
    Storage: Synology DS1815+ [HGST DeskStar 3TB x 2, HGST DeskStar 6TB x 2, HGST DeskStar 8TB x 2, and HGST DeskStar 10TB x 2]
    Clients: Plex Media Player (Mac). Plexamp. iPhone. iPad. Apple TV. PS4. Android. Android TV. Web.

Help: Support | PMS Logs | PMP Logs | iOS Logs | Media XML

No PMs unless directly requested.

• marvelharveymarvelharvey Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

@DaveBinM said:
    What kind of media are you playing? I just tried doing exactly what you described with some music, and it worked exactly as expected. Pressed sleep, and it kept playing.

My apologies for such a slow reply. I'm playing TV shows and movies; mp4 and mkv files I believe.

• DaveBinMDaveBinM Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,394 Plex Employee

@marvelharvey If I may ask, why play a video with the screen off? I'll check with the engineering team, but stopping playback for a video seems like it would be the desired intention most of the time.

Server: Intel Hades Canyon NUC (NUC8i7HNK) [i7-8705G, 16GB 2400Mhz RAM, 500GB NVMe PCIe SSD]
    Storage: Synology DS1815+ [HGST DeskStar 3TB x 2, HGST DeskStar 6TB x 2, HGST DeskStar 8TB x 2, and HGST DeskStar 10TB x 2]
    Clients: Plex Media Player (Mac). Plexamp. iPhone. iPad. Apple TV. PS4. Android. Android TV. Web.

• marvelharveymarvelharvey Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

@DaveBinM

I'm probably a small minority on this, but I often fall asleep listening to old TV shows. I could leave the screen on, but I switch it off to save power. It's not the end of the world though.

@marvelharvey I've checked with the engineering team, and stopping the video when turning the screen off is the intended behaviour.