Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

tvOS 12

nickp85nickp85 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭

Will Plex be taking advantage of the tvOS 12 beta to adopt new features and ensure compatibility? I hope this doesn’t end up like Apple TV 4K and tvOS 11 support where we waited months before most features worked.

Comments

• mrmctvmrmctv Members, Plex Pass Posts: 70 Plex Pass

What tvOS 12 features are you looking to be supported ?

• kclimiekclimie Members, Plex Pass Posts: 79 Plex Pass

For me, one to the major new features is Dolby Atmos. Considering how long it took them to implement their lackluster support for HEVC, I won't be holding my breath anytime soon.

• darciliciousdarcilicious Members, Plex Pass Posts: 938 Plex Pass

@nickp85 said:
    Will Plex be taking advantage of the tvOS 12 beta to adopt new features and ensure compatibility? I hope this doesn’t end up like Apple TV 4K and tvOS 11 support where we waited months before most features worked.

In the six+ years I've been using Plex, this is the biggest lesson I've learned: Plex's development process has only gotten worse over time. However long it took them to "implement" tvOS 11 features into Plex, it will take even LONGER for tvOS 12 and it will not work consistently or well.

• Regan01Regan01 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I jumped ship to Infuse

• jayz78jayz78 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

@darcilicious said:

@nickp85 said:

>
    In the six+ years I've been using Plex, this is the biggest lesson I've learned: Plex's development process has only gotten worse over time. However long it took them to "implement" tvOS 11 features into Plex, it will take even LONGER for tvOS 12 and it will not work consistently or well.

Indeed. Plex appears to almost have abandoned tvOS Apple TV development. The app is so infrequently updated and when it is the changes are absolutely minimal compared to other platforms. Even in the beta program there’s virtually never any updates.

• Rick WilliamsRick Williams Members, Plex Pass Posts: 69 Plex Pass

I just hope the method Apple is using for Atmos opens the door to bitstreamong all codecs. Atmos support is going to be worthless if it’s some weird setup that Plex can’t work with.