Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Consistent problems with Plex on AppleTV

glennbrownglennbrown Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

My AppleTV seems to have developed some consistent problems when using the Plex App. It will seem to randomly lose connection to my server while in the middle of playing a show or movie. Sometimes I will get a Unable to create a playback session error then it appears to be hung trying to re-connect to the Plex Server.

This seems to have picked frequency now, anyone seen this or have suggestions to help track it down? It only seems to affect my AppleTV my wife has not noticed any problems with our older Roku HD.

Answers

• mrjakester702mrjakester702 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 85 Plex Pass

@glennbrown - sorry you are experiencing issues. Could it be connection issues? My Apple TV 4 is hard wired to the router and have never experienced any disconnects unless the Plex server is down.

• glennbrownglennbrown Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

I suppose it could be, I will try to keep a constant ping going from my iMac (my Server) to the AppleTV to see if I have any packet loss. Right now both the server and AppleTV are wireless, I cannot fix that right now due the corporate suite I am in having limited options for hardwiring. The comcast Router they provide has limited ethernet ports the one free one is used by my Synology at the moment.

However like I said the Roku which is also wireless does not have problems plus Netflix and Prime Video do not have problems on the AppleTV.

• cferracferra Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I am experiencing this too - can’t get through a movie without a transcoder error and playback stopping - seems to have been introduced in the lasted version. Please fix.

• simon_lefischsimon_lefisch Members, Plex Pass Posts: 165 Plex Pass

@glennbrown said:
    Right now both the server and AppleTV are wireless, I cannot fix that right now due the corporate suite I am in having limited options for hardwiring. The comcast Router they provide has limited ethernet ports the one free one is used by my Synology at the moment.

Add a 5 port switch to the router and wire your Apple TV to test for connectivity loss. That would be the best way to rule out a wireless issue.

Local Server
    CPU: Q9550 2.83GHz Quad-core (no hyper-threading)
    RAM: 8GB
    OS Storage: 1TB HDD (x1)
    Media Storage: 4TB HDD (x2) in RAID 1
    Plex Media Server: Latest Public Version

VPS
    Media Storage: GSuite Drive

Clients
    Nvidia Shield 16GB (1st gen)
    Amazon FireTV (2nd gen)
    Apple TV 4K