Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sonos Beam and DTS HD MA

N0_Klu3N0_Klu3 Posts: 101Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited June 10 in Plex Media Player

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of getting the Sonos Beam + Sub, connected to my Sony KD49EX9005 via HDMI Arc, playing from PMP
But I have some questions on audio streams. Lets say I have a movie that only has DTS HD MA or one of the other unsupported audio formats what will happen?
Will Sonos or the TV auto convert into a playable format? Or will it just do whitenoise?

My main issue is I kinda need to go wireless, and dont NEED my current 5.1 setup. If I did I'd defo need new speakers which pretty much costs the same and I'm about to move so dont want to run speaker cable everywhere. There are plug sockets around the back if I decided to add 2x Play:1's or so for 5.1 Sonos setup.

Thanks

Answers

• N0_Klu3N0_Klu3 Posts: 101Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone have any idea, or info?

• DaveBinMDaveBinM Posts: 1,388Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@N0_Klu3 That's only an issue if you have passthrough enabled in PMP. Otherwise PMP will decode the audio, and pass it as PCM to your TV. There are soundbars and wireless systems that do support HD audio codecs out there if you have a look. I personally use a HEOS Bar and sub., but there are others by the likes Samsung and Sony that also support HD audio codecs.

Server: Intel Hades Canyon NUC (NUC8i7HNK) [i7-8705G, 16GB 2400Mhz RAM, 500GB NVMe PCIe SSD]
    Storage: Synology DS1815+ [HGST DeskStar 3TB x 2, HGST DeskStar 6TB x 2, HGST DeskStar 8TB x 2, and HGST DeskStar 10TB x 2]
    Clients: Plex Media Player (Mac). Plexamp. iPhone. iPad. Apple TV. PS4. Android. Android TV. Web.

Help: Support | PMS Logs | PMP Logs | iOS Logs | Media XML

No PMs unless directly requested.