Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

The new version of the mobile app is worthless

ElusiveZatchmoElusiveZatchmo Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I won't go too much into the UI problems, seeing as others have already posted on that. My issue is with functionality as a whole. It just doesn't work. The home screen takes forever to update and there's no real to refresh like we could with pull down in the original version. On top of that, it has so much trouble connecting to my server, both away and at home on the same wifi. I never had this issue with the old app. Now I find myself starring at a screen telling me my server is offline, when I can clearing see it running on my computer. And when it comes to being away from my network, I'm able to connect to my home server just fine through the web, app.plex.tv, yet as I said I can't connect at all through the app. Or, if I go to TV or movies, it keeps telling me I need to add content, when that's clearly not the issue.

I'm not sure what brought on these changes down the pipeline, but for our sakes go back. It may not have been as "pretty", but at least it worked correctly.

Comments

• wyldemusickwyldemusick Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wouldn't even go so far as to call this 'pretty' -- it's just a complete bloody mess.

• GinjaGinja Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Has anyone from Plex commented on this yet. I see the reviews on Play, I see the never ending comments here, and I align them with my own thoughts and simply cannot understand why they don't seem to be listening??

I loved Plex, our whole house media experience revolves around it but this us seriously testing my resolve. I've rolled back for now but just don't understand why Plex themselves won't accept they need to step back, roll us back, review what they were looking to achieve, test it with users and then move forward again with a better thought out and importantly working approach.

• STWallmanSTWallman Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Ginja said:
    Has anyone from Plex commented on this yet. I see the reviews on Play, I see the never ending comments here, and I align them with my own thoughts and simply cannot understand why they don't seem to be listening??

I loved Plex, our whole house media experience revolves around it but this us seriously testing my resolve. I've rolled back for now but just don't understand why Plex themselves won't accept they need to step back, roll us back, review what they were looking to achieve, test it with users and then move forward again with a better thought out and importantly working approach.

Because they HATE to admit they might have made a mistake...

• Dominic MondelloDominic Mondello Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 14

@Ginja said:

You're right, but they're in denial and they won't admit the new UX is broken and an ergonomic disaster... They prefer to pretend we need time to learn enjoying it.

Plex is now too big for its own good, the devs are not listening the customers/users anymore :neutral:

• thelanrangerthelanranger Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You're right, but they're in denial and they won't admit the new UX is broken and an ergonomic disaster... They prefer to pretend we need time to learn enjoying it.

Plex is now too big for its own good, the devs are not listening the customers/users anymore :neutral:

This. They're not even using the forums anymore. No one even comments on bugs. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of unpatched bugs and they just keep piling buggy features on top of them that none of the users asked for.

Maybe I'm old and lost touch or something, but I would be far more likely to pay money for things like..oh I don't know...a usable UI, apps that don't crash, a functional search feature, stuff like that...vs being able to sit in a virtual living room on my VR headset and synchronize the TV show I'm watching with my friend so we don't have to drive 5 mins to hang out together. But what do I know?

• Mark OtwayMark Otway Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have you considered the fact that they might be listening but you might be amongst a (albeit vocal) minority? I much prefer the new app layout.

• flowflow Posts: 720Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me too. I like the new one...

Please note the Legal notice for the usage of Google Analytics in my Channels.
  • kicker83kicker83 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't care about the new app layout, but please, let us choose which server we want to use. Search something in app is a chaos, with the new update.

• zx10guyzx10guy Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Mark Otway said:
    Have you considered the fact that they might be listening but you might be amongst a (albeit vocal) minority? I much prefer the new app layout.

The number of 1 and 2 star reviews on the Google Play Store since the new version release would say otherwise.

The number of 1 and 2 star reviews on the Google Play Store since the new version release would say otherwise.

Not really. Most people (like me) who like the update will either leave their review alone, or will just get on with their life. Very few will go in and add a new 5-star review. Whereas almost everyone who hates it will go in and one-star it to show their anger. And yet out of 130k reviews, only around 10% are one or two stars - in all time. So per my comment above, the vocal minority who hate it will settle down after a while.

• s7ickys7icky Posts: 49Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Pretty sure i wont "settle down"...... I pay for something that works and they break it and not give 1 **** about fixing it.

I meant 'settle down' as in 'level out' and stop increasing in numbers.

I'm sure Plex do want to fix it, and will iterate on the current design to ensure that functionality people need is supported. So maybe best to roll back to 6 and give it a couple of months.

@Mark Otway said:

Not really. Most people (like me) who like the update will either leave their review alone, or will just get on with their life. Very few will go in and add a new 5-star review. Whereas almost everyone who hates it will go in and one-star it to show their anger. And yet out of 130k reviews, only around 10% are one or two stars - in all time. So per my comment above, the vocal minority who hate it will settle down after a while.

Nice taking the entire review history to bolster your position. If you look at what I said which is reviews SINCE version 7 was released, you'll see that the one and two star reviews make up 90 to 95% of the reviews posted. Nice try spinning.

The point I was making is that whilst the majority of the reviews of the latest version are 1-star, that's because the majority of people who like it won't bother going in and giving it a 5-star review. So there's a massive element of selection bias going on when talking about 1-star reviews, if you want to talk about spinning. How many Plex Android users do you think are out there who aren't on the forums, are happy with the new version, and haven't done a review on Play? I'd imagine it's a pretty large number.

All I'm saying is that you might not like it, but that doesn't mean that everyone dislikes it - or that you're in the majority at all.

And that's a valid point but part of the criteria I use (right or wrong and I suspect others do the same) is to look at the review rating. I tend to gravitate towards apps and such with high ratings and with a predominance of people that put the product in the 4 and 5 star camp versus the 1 star. I do get there are those that will complain for no reason at all. But you can look at the general trend of the recent reviews to see how things are going with said app. The fact there has been an explosion of 1 and 2 star reviews recently for the Plex app can't be ignored as just the complainers being more vocal. There's usually a balance and distribution between happy and unhappy users. We're not seeing this at all with the version 7 release.

But the only real way to get proper feedback was if Plex had even bothered to beta test the app before releasing it. You then have a controlled environment where feedback both positive and negative is gathered. Plex didn't bother to do this as evidenced by the app being broken out of the gate and I'm not talking about the UI here. It took them a few days to finally release an update to fix this play back issue. You can't tell me they followed proper software development practices here. And if they did have testing done before release, as I said in first post here in the forums, the person in charge should be fired. There's no way a major malfunction of the base operation of this app should slip through any kind of testing.

Yes, Beta testing would have helped a lot, and might have identified some of the more niche edge-case scenarios (people with multiple libraries who want search restricted to just one, and so on). They certainly don't help themselves, it has to be said.

Perhaps the issue is the lack of competition. In another 6-12 months or so when Emby gets to the point of being a viable alternative to Plex, then perhaps as paying customers begin to migrate, Plex might start to take this stuff a bit more seriously.

Definitely agree with both of your points.

• theoryoltheoryol Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'll chime in that I don't really like the new layout either.
    Not sure why it always seems that Plex enjoys constantly putting out "new" features and not putting enough effort into polishing the rough edges. It's the little details that count on software this complex...

• earratiaearratia Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Mark Otway said:
    The point I was making is that whilst the majority of the reviews of the latest version are 1-star, that's because the majority of people who like it won't bother going in and giving it a 5-star review. So there's a massive element of selection bias going on when talking about 1-star reviews, if you want to talk about spinning. How many Plex Android users do you think are out there who aren't on the forums, are happy with the new version, and haven't done a review on Play? I'd imagine it's a pretty large number.

All I'm saying is that you might not like it, but that doesn't mean that everyone dislikes it - or that you're in the majority at all.

I disagree with your assessment. When the app was good, I gave it 5 stars. I actually went in there and provided my 5 star review.
    Now that the app is so awful, I revised my review and lower my original 5 star down to 1 star.
    Once the new UI is 5 star worthy, I will again edit my review to give its 5 stars back (or however many it deserves), even if others might be giving it 1 star. I can't be the only one doing this.

Those of us who are so vocal are because we are so passionate about the product and hate what they've done to it. We tend to be the grassroots Plex evangelists. I can't tell you how many people I've recommended Plex to and got them on board. But I cannot do that anymore if this is the new UI they are going to push on all platforms.

Server: Intel i9-7960x, Corsair 64GB DDR4, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB OS, LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8I, 8x Toshiba 3TB P300 in RAID 6: 18 Tb (16.3 TB) usable storage; Windows 2016
    Devices: 2x Samsung S7 Edge, Amazon Fire HD 10 (2017), Samsung S5, 2x Roku 3, Roku Ultra, more PCs than you can shake a stick at.

• earratiaearratia Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Perhaps the issue is the lack of competition. In another 6-12 months or so when Emby gets to the point of being a viable alternative to Plex, then perhaps as paying customers begin to migrate, Plex might start to take this stuff a bit more seriously.

That I completely agree with. Hopefully it will not be too late for them as has happened with so many companies in the past.
    Again, I am very passionate about Plex and really, really like their product. But I do hate the new UI with the exact same level of passion.

Server: Intel i9-7960x, Corsair 64GB DDR4, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB OS, LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8I, 8x Toshiba 3TB P300 in RAID 6: 18 Tb (16.3 TB) usable storage; Windows 2016
    Devices: 2x Samsung S7 Edge, Amazon Fire HD 10 (2017), Samsung S5, 2x Roku 3, Roku Ultra, more PCs than you can shake a stick at.