Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Question about how shared plugins work...

pmcarlsonjrpmcarlsonjr Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sorry if this seems obvious but I've been mulling it over. I recently installed a plugin to allow users I share with to request additions to the library. Previously I didn't have plugins shared over concerns of wasting bandwidth, i.e. someone has Comedy Central since they have cable but they watch it through my Plex using my bandwidth. Is this how it works? I assumed so since it is all running back through my server. Or do website based plugins get that data directly over the users internet, circumventing my internet entirely?

Answers

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,915Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

It goes through your PMS

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• coder-alphacoder-alpha Posts: 838Members ✭✭✭

@pmcarlsonjr said:
    Sorry if this seems obvious but I've been mulling it over. I recently installed a plugin to allow users I share with to request additions to the library. Previously I didn't have plugins shared over concerns of wasting bandwidth, i.e. someone has Comedy Central since they have cable but they watch it through my Plex using my bandwidth. Is this how it works? I assumed so since it is all running back through my server. Or do website based plugins get that data directly over the users internet, circumventing my internet entirely?

@dane22 said:
    It goes through your PMS

@dane22 I don't think that's completely accurate. If the said Comedy Central video is played using Direct Play then the connection is direct between the User and the video hosted on the Comedy Central website. However, if the said video requires transcoding only then the connection is via PMS and will use up the bandwith of the PMS machine.

OS: Win7, Win10, Ubuntu 16.04, MacOS Sierra, FreeBSD 11.0

Storage: 4x6TB WD PR4100 NAS

Clients: PlexWeb, Samsung Plex App, Sony Opera App, Firestick Android, PS4, Samsung Galaxy S7, iPhone 7.0

Channels: FMoviesPlus, cCloudTv, Einthusan, DesiTelly

If you like my channels you can support my beer fund here ;)

My published channels and other work in progress on github

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,750Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited June 13

@coder-alpha said:
    @dane22 I don't think that's completely accurate. If the said Comedy Central video is played using Direct Play then the connection is direct between the User and the video hosted on the Comedy Central website. However, if the said video requires transcoding only then the connection is via PMS and will use up the bandwith of the PMS machine.

^^ This is correct, it really depends on if the video requires transcoding or not. If so: everything goes through the Plex Media Server. If not, the video is played directly from the source website and only the initial request for metadata goes through Plex Media Server.

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,915Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I stand corrected then ;)

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me