Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Remote Access not available for my Plex server

Olddawg90Olddawg90 Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hello,

I am having trouble accessing my Plex server from outside of my home. Whenever I am over a friend's house, the server is unable to be reached. When I go to Remote Access under settings, it tells me that it is not available outside of my network. I'm not sure how to fix this and I would love some advice on how to. I am somewhat of a rookie at Plex and computer knowledge in general, so I may need things spelled out for me. I have enclosed a Word document with a picture of what I see under Remote Access in the Plex server.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Answers

• simon_lefischsimon_lefisch Members, Plex Pass Posts: 165 Plex Pass

You need to configure port forwarding on your router to access your home server outside of your LAN.

Local Server
    CPU: Q9550 2.83GHz Quad-core (no hyper-threading)
    RAM: 8GB
    OS Storage: 1TB HDD (x1)
    Media Storage: 4TB HDD (x2) in RAID 1
    Plex Media Server: Latest Public Version

VPS
    Media Storage: GSuite Drive

Clients
    Nvidia Shield 16GB (1st gen)
    Amazon FireTV (2nd gen)
    Apple TV 4K

• Olddawg90Olddawg90 Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

Thank you for responding, Simon. How would I go about doing this? Unfortunately, my computer knowledge is very minuscule.