If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Photos

mmj2341mmj2341 Posts: 2Members
Does the metadata agent do anything?
I am trying to get my photos displayed in some kind of order. However, after adding them, they all photos are displayed under the year 2011 without any hierarchy. However, file creation date and exif data are all correct (and not 2011, but between 1992 and 2010). They photos originate from F-Spot and are in a year-month-day folder hierarchy. The top level folders are displayed in the plex media manager, but not when viewing with a (Mac) client. Is anybody using the photos feature? Searching the documentation and the forums was not very yielding as photos seems to be the step child in the Plex family...

Comments

• jensujensu Posts: 101Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    hi,

i'm happy to see that someone else than me seems to be interested in photo sections too ;)

i really like to show photos on my samsung tv and i've used plex photo plugin and shared folders to do so until i've discovered the photo sections. unfortunately it seems that this is in early development. i'm running the PMS on my Qnap NAS, client on mac book pro (SL) and ipad2 (ios 5).
    i've the following issues/remarks:
    - scanning folders takes a very long time (up to hours)
    - exif data seems not read/used (only the filter all, year, recently added available)
    - on mac client the order is descending and therefore slideshow are reverse
    - the only (real) filter "year" works incorrect, it seems the modified date is wrongly used

with the wrong order it's unusable for me at the moment. and i would really like to have more possible filters e.g. by keywords.

the latest ios app which supports photo sections now (i bought the previous version for the reason to browse my photo library and was very disappointed) is also not much usable for me. to go to the next photo takes too long, it shows the ugly stretched thumb for 2-3 seconds. sure transcoding takes some time (atom cpu not that powerful) and transmission too, but this could be solved by pre loading the next image. even after going back and forward again the cached (as it seems) image will not be displayed immediately.

i hope there will be a bit more development in this direction in the future.

cheers
    jens

Qnap 459 Pro - FW 4.x - PMS 1.1.x
    Mac Book Pro - OSX 10 - PHT / PMP
    iPad 2 & iPad Air - iOS 9 - Plex iOS client

Nexus 4 - Android 6 - Plex Android client
    Hisense H65MEC5550 4k - SmartTV app 2.7.5

• qwerty1234qwerty1234 Posts: 15Members
    I'm really missing the use of EXIF and other metadata in the Photo section aswell. It should be possible to filter/categorize your images based on Geo-location, date/time and all the other usefull metadata that modern cameras provide. I want Plex to fullfill all my streaming needs, and make all my personal (and commercial) media available on all my devices (smartphones, tablets, PCs) no matter my location. Plex is the closest solution so far...
  • KraterKrater Posts: 45Members
    Yes, please!
    At least get the year from EXIF, but I'd also like the rest of EXIF and IPTC (and XMP?) tags recognized.
    Regards,

Krater
  • BinkerBinker Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass
    Krater wrote:

Yes, please!
    At least get the year from EXIF, but I'd also like the rest of EXIF and IPTC (and XMP?) tags recognized.

+1
    /Binker

Penguins don't come from next door. They come from the Antartic!