Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Mac Media Server Feature Requests

5stringdeath5stringdeath NinjaMembers, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,402 Plex Ninja
edited November 2015 in macOS/OS X (Mac)
For the PMS

Post em Here to keep em organized!

Please keep in mind, your request will probably NOT get a direct response, so don't expect a "yes or no" answer here. This is more of an open thread that the Plex Dev team monitors for requests.

EDIT: Cleaned up the list so open requests wouldn't get lost in the strikethroughs   :rolleyes:

This first post is updated to track the most recent requests.
Please read through this list to avoid posting dupes so we can keep the thread somewhat clean.
Note these are in no particular order of importance (anymore)

CLOSED

Password Protection and/or User access control of media sections on local networks / ability to hide sections  (w00t)

• Support handling of DVD/Blu-Ray extras

Playlists
In addition, watched / unwatched status for different local users
Ability to stream movies directly in browser from Media Manager and/or myPlex website
Mass editing of metadata in Media Manager
Ability to watch trailers / option for such via client (downloaded file and/or stream)
More granular control of library update scan frequency (certain time of day)
Enhanced updating of PMS' connection to myPlex for flaky ISP's
Enhanced collection management (drag and drop, mass additions)
Tweaks to fixing incorrect matches (using URL or local .nfo, etc)
Granular view of who is actively connected / using a PMS via myPlex
uPnP support
Ability to "search by quality" like 720p / 1080p / 480p etc.

• Add a "stop" button to plexweb Activity to force a shared user off
Other search options (language, date, etc, a lot of different requests :-)
More audio codec options for audio files (multichannel FLAC, etc)
iTunes sharing tweaks (playlists, import playlists, etc. see post #49)
Proper exif data support for photo and video rotation (seen a lot with iPhone videos)
Option to exclude certain folders / files from library scans
Force transcoding option to local clients for various reasons such as bad wifi, etc
Audio-only transcoding for clients that demand mp3 playback
Dynamic IP (dyndns etc) myPlex support -> server discovery is already available through plex.tv
Default user views in PMS (ascending, descending, etc)
VOBSUB transcoding
"Empty trash" as an option on the cocoaUI menu bar drop down

OPEN:

• Share iTunes channel via myPlex as opposed to making a redundant music section
• Headless PMS (no need to login to a user account)
• Allow for external audio tracks, similar to external subtitles
• Feature to allow export / viewing of history of what was viewed on the PMS -> currently available as PlexWatch or Plexpy
• Distributed PMS transcoding
• Play a file on multiple clients at once (simultaneous) - quite useful for audio files at first

• Ability to specify through advanced settings in the app the location for application support file storage

• Sync library data (not media) to iOS and other devices for offline library browsing and showing off (edge use case)

• User defined sort order / filters and user defined library sorting (rather than purely alphabetical)

• Allow Plex clients to move media to other PMS sections

• Ability to set "maximum quality" on PMS for shared users (think throttling)

• Ability to set a schedule for specific shared users (useful for a parental control kind of thing, but has other applications too)

• Provide a mechanism via filenaming convention to indicate burned-in subtitles via metadata (ex: Movie.Year.hebsubbed.ext would indicate the movie had burned in Hebrew subtitles)

• Allow audio only to be sent to iOS device for remote audio listening (think Roku3 headphone-in-the-remote feature)

• Enhanced management / metadata control for home movie sections

• Full metadata export options
• Ability for a single movie file to be referenced in multiple sections

• Live TV recording support (DVR function)

• Media Manager view of all items that couldn't be matched

• Play counts on media items, such as iTunes does for music

• Native "DVD Order" Scanning Agent

• Advanced PMS power management (client wake-on-lan or something similar)

• User defined default scan levels

• Change onDeck/Recently Added behavior to reflect movie behavior regarding movies that have been previously viewed to not re-appear as "unwatched"

• More control over subtitles, font, color, size, position, thickness of the drop shadow. 

• Animated gif playback

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

Comments

• patxaranmanpatxaranman Members Posts: 1
    Hi!

I've been using Plex as my default media center for 3 years ago and I'm pretty happy with it. But in this time I encountered some things that I thought they would be fixed up to now. So, these are my requests for you :)

1. A simple but complete "Delete" functionality. I mean, the same system that you can find in iTunes, iPhoto, Adobe Lightroom,.. I suggest an option with two types of delete.
    - Delete from the library but not from the hard disk. This will be useful when you want to move some movies from the main directory to another machine and want to manage this manually in your library.
    - Delete from the library and the hard disk. The best way to manage your library without going to the hard drive directories.
    The most important thing is the idea of deleting files one by one manually.

2. A better manual management in the library. As far as I know, now I can't create manually an structure in a section with my camera videos, as I do with series and seassons. The best solution today is creating a Collection but this is like a Playlist and don't want that. So why not create a complete functionality for users that want to imitate the structure of Series (like Seasson 1, seasson 2, seasson 3,...) with their camera movies?

I hope you consider these requests and can have them in my mac mini one day.

Thanks!
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,402 Plex Ninja

2. A better manual management in the library. As far as I know, now I can't create manually an structure in a section with my camera videos, as I do with series and seassons. The best solution today is creating a Collection but this is like a Playlist and don't want that. So why not create a complete functionality for users that want to imitate the structure of Series (like Seasson 1, seasson 2, seasson 3,...) with their camera movies?

#2 has existed for some time. Follow this guide:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_Naming_Guide#Personal_Media_or_Home_Movies

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets

• bobbelklbobbelkl Members Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I need

access restriction (login for clients, at least IP-Blacklisting),
    since my PMS is running 24/7 and i'm in a big home-network. don't want everybody using my server w/o permission.
  • BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,760 Plex Employee
    Launch Plex to play file from media manager. Many a time i have been fixing metadata or some other thing and decided i wanted to watch something i havent seen in a while. I would like to be able to just right click on the thumbnail in mediamanager and click play.
    Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • bytesailrbytesailr Members Posts: 14
    I have a very large library (2000+ movies) and would love to be able to edit multiple movies' metadata the same time in PMS (eg. to add the same genre to multiple movies). I just upgraded to the latest 0.9.5.2, and I'm still unable to do that. Would love this to be added soon.

My top feature requests:
    1) Ability to edit multiple movies metadata.
    2) Login ability, lock ability for sections

Thanks!
  • thempsteadthempstead Members, Plex Pass Posts: 155 Plex Pass
    Features I would suggest ...

1). It would be nice to have a preference setting to set the default scan level, (maybe configurable separately depending on whether the scan is an automatically scheduled one or a manually started scan via the PMS GUI or WebGUI).

Would be easier than having to remember to option+click on the button each time to force a deep scan when media is stored on remote NAS drives which can be a bit unreliable over some remote desktop connections. Could leave the default settings as they are now but allow the settings to be changed if people have specific requirements and would allow for automatic scanning to be more reliable on NAS shares.

2). Would be nice to be able to flush downloaded metadata for a film/series completely to allow for those times when things have gotten in a mess.
  • bishopbishop Members Posts: 42
    1. Be able to attach trailer to the description page.
    2. Have movies marked as unwatched/watched
    3. Multiple Metadata editing would be nice addition.
  • pickthenimppickthenimp Members, Plex Pass Posts: 115 Plex Pass
    bishop wrote:

1. Be able to attach trailer to the description page.2. Have movies marked as unwatched/watched3. Multiple Metadata editing would be nice addition.

1. +1 for ANY kind of trailer support whether I download it or stream from the interwebs

2. You can mark movies as watched...?

3. +1 as well
  • TsurisutoTsurisuto Members Posts: 46
    The ability to add game ROMs to the Plex Media Server. I would really like a cool way to organise my game collection too.
  • ionblueionblue Members, Plex Pass Posts: 502 Plex Pass
    How about a way to rename a collection without removing it and starting over?? I've tried right clicking on the collection name, double clicking, clicking on Edit Section (which just brings up the main Section)...

Seriously?

Mac mini (mid 2011) 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - MacOS 10.12.5 - Panasonic GT50 (60 inch) - Yamaha YSP-5100 - TowerSTOR TS4CT 9TB

• phunkysaiphunkysai Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,155 Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    My main ones are:

- Parental controls / make sections invisible to remote clients

- Local trailer file support. Until the devs can get around to doing it 'the plex way,' just add back the xbmc functionality of scanning my local trailers. I have a 'movie-trailer.mp4' (of various extensions) in every single one of my movie folders, harkening back to when the xbmc code in plex allowed such a thing, so I really only need PMS to scan those files with the movie, and then show a trailer button in the movie info screen. I'm still in the habit of downloading trailers for every movie, but right now that effort is pretty meaningless. It would be very helpful in convincing my wife to watch certain movies. :-)
  • kim.tkim.t Members Posts: 68
    Parental control
    Start a Movie from PMS
  • gbdesaigbdesai Members, Plex Pass Posts: 238 Plex Pass
    Kim T wrote:

Parental control
    Start a Movie from PMS

Parental control is key for me, kids getting older and smarter...
  • pds6pds6 Members Posts: 1
    Updating the files takes too long. There has to be a way to only scan for new material.

Would you also allow me to set the time Plex scans and updates the Library.
  • 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,402 Plex Ninja
    pds6 wrote:

Updating the files takes too long. There has to be a way to only scan for new material.

Would you also allow me to set the time Plex scans and updates the Library.

Library update frequency can already be set in the PMS prefs, or disabled completely (manual update only)

• mikedm139mikedm139 Plugin Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,022 Plex Ninja

Library update frequency can already be set in the PMS prefs, or disabled completely (manual update only)

Frequency (hourly, daily, weekly, etc) yes, but I don't think that it is currently possible to tell PMS at what time of day to run a scan. That would be a nice feature. So I could set PMS to scan everyday at 4:30am when the chances of anyone watching anything are very slim.

If you are having trouble with one or more channels, check here first.
    If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************
    Check out unofficial channels in the
    UnSupported AppStore
    Follow my efforts on Github and Twitter
    Donate

mikedm139 wrote:

Frequency (hourly, daily, weekly, etc) yes, but I don't think that it is currently possible to tell PMS at what time of day to run a scan. That would be a nice feature. So I could set PMS to scan everyday at 4:30am when the chances of anyone watching anything are very slim.

Noted - but I'm not sure what people watching has to do with a library scan :-)

• jfgaertjfgaert Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    I have a pretty unreliable internet connection at home and sometimes the modem will reset itself while I'm gone which, in turn, gives me a new iP address. So my request is the MyPlex checks the connection from time to time and makes sure that the login is still good. Right now, if my modem reconnects, I lose my MyPlex connection unless I manually log out and back in.
  • mikedm139mikedm139 Plugin Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,022 Plex Ninja

Noted - but I'm not sure what people watching has to do with a library scan :-)

Good point. I guess I still remember the early days of 0.9 when a library caused playback to stutter on my system :-P Things have really improved :D

If you are having trouble with one or more channels, check here first.
    If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************
    Check out unofficial channels in the
    UnSupported AppStore
    Follow my efforts on Github and Twitter
    Donate

• ben_allisonben_allison Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    A standard group select for changing properties/metadata... like in iTunes.

I'm very finicky about wanting my genres lean and mean.. being able to sort by something like genre, then having the ability to group select and edit would be amazing!