Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[RELEASE] Simplex Energized

Jason MehringJason Mehring Members, Plex Pass Posts: 281 Plex Pass
edited December 2011 in Simplex
A personal modification of the simplex skin
I love the Simplex skin created by CloudDweller and jaapS, but since I have over 20 library sections the horizontal media layout for media sections is just too hard for me to navigate. So I forked the simplex repo and created an alternate home screen.... and more!

I added another configuration menu so a user can select the alternate home screen. If they do not select the alternate home screen the default one is used. I love the original layout so much I figured I should then start customizing it to make it the ultimate skin for my personal use. While coding I took care to follow the original design specs as close as possible and wrote it in a way that I can update this mod with and changes to the original skin (or the original authors can merge any or all changes I have made into the original skin), then I started adding other features I personally like to have available. Every feature I added so far is user toggle-able, so they can either turn the feature on or off.

When this skin is installed, all of my mods are toggled off by default, so it will appear exactly as the original. In order to enable them, you need to select 'Preferences' on the main menu, then click in 'Skin'. Now, arrow down to 'Mods', then right to toggle options you wish to see on.

This MOD is a work in progress and will change. I will try to keep a list of major changes here.

The skin is located at: https://github.com/nrgaway/skin.simplex.energized.

Changes so far...
  1. Created an alternate Home page. Useful for those of us with large libraries. I will be continuing to work on this section to make it even better (IMO).
  2. Fixed home page artwork to display artwork from each media section when highlighted. Also the fan art will displayed for each individual item you focus when in Ondeck or Recently Added. Default artwork will still be displayed on sections that do not have their own artwork. You can still disable the slideshow.
  3. Added more detailed information on the list page to describe movies, tvshows and episodes better (user toggle-able).
  4. Added MPAA logo to both movie and tv sections (user toggle-able).
  5. Added video / audio quality to all sections (DTS, 1080p, etc). Its a tight fit so may only look good if one widescreen with no overscan (user toggle-able).
  6. Added text ratings overlay to movie section to quickly see what your movies are rated as (user toggle-able).
  7. Fixed a few display issues.
  8. Added a developer debug option
  9. Added an info screen you can access when watching a tv show or movie by pressing <F6> on the keyboard or long pressing play on an apple remote (I think).

I do need a graphic done since I know nothing about grahpics, I'm just a lowly programmer. As you can see on the screenshot the graphic I am currently using is causing distoration since I am stretching homemenu_diffuse.png to 1280x330 instead of 1280x50. It is being used to difuse the outer cover arts to make it appear there are more.

Below is a screenshot of the new alternate home screen from my forked version. Basicly when you are on a media section, like 'Dad's TV Shows', you press right to browse 'On Deck', and left to browse 'Recently Added'. Once you click left or right, the full 'deck' slide across the screen like it is in the original home screen. You can also switch between the 'On Deck' and 'Recently' like you could with the origianl home view as well (down arrow for other deck, up arrow exits and brings you back to your media sections).

simplex-althome1.png

TVShows list. You will see more detailed information including Year, Duration, Genre, MPAA, Text Rating and number of Total Episodes.
simplex-tvshow-list1.png

Episode list. Again you will see more detailed infomation as well as the video / audio indicators.
simplex-episode-list.png

Movie List. Here again you will see more detailed information as well as the text rating overlays within the list itself.
simplex-movie-list1.png

And one last update is the missing info screen:
simplex-info1.png

Comments

• jcasterajcastera Members, Plex Pass Posts: 109 Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    The URL you posted is incorrect, should be:

git clone git://github.com/nrgaway/skin.simplex.energized.git

Any plans for additional views ? Great mod.

You should also change your addon.xml to something like below to avoid conflict Simplex

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <addon id="skin.simplex.energized" version="1.0.5" name="Simplex Energized" provider-name="Jason Mehring">
    <requires>
    <import addon="xbmc.gui" version="2.11"/>
    <import addon="script.recentlyadded" version="1.0.8"/>
    <import addon="script.menucategories" version="1.0.0"/>
    </requires>
    <extension point="xbmc.gui.skin" defaultresolution="720p" defaultresolutionwide="720p" defaultthemename="Textures.xbt" e$
    <extension point="xbmc.addon.metadata">
    <platform>all</platform>
    <minversion app="xbmc">28000</minversion>
    <summary>-</summary>
    <description>-</description>
    <disclaimer/>
    </extension>
    </addon>
  • Jason MehringJason Mehring Members, Plex Pass Posts: 281 Plex Pass
    jcastera wrote:

The URL you posted is incorrect, should be:

git clone git://github.com/nrgaway/skin.simplex.energized.git

Any plans for additional views ? Great mod.

You should also change your addon.xml to something like below to avoid conflict Simplex

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <addon id="skin.simplex.energized" version="1.0.5" name="Simplex Energized" provider-name="Jason Mehring">
    <requires>
    <import addon="xbmc.gui" version="2.11"/>
    <import addon="script.recentlyadded" version="1.0.8"/>
    <import addon="script.menucategories" version="1.0.0"/>
    </requires>
    <extension point="xbmc.gui.skin" defaultresolution="720p" defaultresolutionwide="720p" defaultthemename="Textures.xbt" e$
    <extension point="xbmc.addon.metadata">
    <platform>all</platform>
    <minversion app="xbmc">28000</minversion>
    <summary>-</summary>
    <description>-</description>
    <disclaimer/>
    </extension>
    </addon>

Thanks. I had changed it but forgot to push it to git hub :) The repo is now updated.
  • AljrobAljrob Members, Plex Pass Posts: 138 Plex Pass
    Great work!

I would love to see tiles/icons view options added for both Tv shows and movies - this would likely become my default skin if that happened.

Aljrob
  • wally007wally007 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,190 Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    Very nice ideas. In 'movies' screenshot, ratings next to HD icon look odd though. You already have 3 ratings on one screen.

Either way nice work !
    wally007 wrote:

Very nice ideas. In 'movies' screenshot, ratings next to HD icon look odd though. You already have 3 ratings on one screen.

Either way nice work !

I agree it does look odd. I like it since it help me select a movie quickly. It is user toggle-able so if you don't want to see it it will disappear :) I was thinking a rectangular shape for the ratings may fit in a bit better.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,901 Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    Great job so far, I look forward to seeing your progress! Taking requests?

-Ability to change poster/fanart from video info screen
    -Time clock on home screen would be great!
    -An optional OSD that pops up while in Recently Added/On Deck that tells plot and video details...it would be great to go to a poster and get the info on that video without going into your library :)
    -To separate Plugins section, and just have it aggregate most used plugins (in general), not for just specific types of plugins. Right now, we have to go to Video Plugins, or Music plugins, but in the mobile app we get a list of our most used plugins from all categories, including Applications. It would be awesome if in Simplex, we could navigate to "Channels," and see all the most used plugins from all sections. Is this possible?

Thank you!
  • wally007wally007 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,190 Plex Pass
    Sorry for my lame comment. I commented before I tried out the skin. Very nice. I will play with the skin myself try out couple of things :

-remove HD icon from ALL lists and extend the line. I like media flags on the bottom which serve this purpose.
    -disable recently added/on deck.
    -add tagline to Movies view. Possibly replace year or length.

I agree it does look odd. I like it since it help me select a movie quickly. It is user toggle-able so if you don't want to see it it will disappear :) I was thinking a rectangular shape for the ratings may fit in a bit better.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,901 Plex Pass
    Fixed home page artwork to display artwork from each media section when highlighted. Also the fan art will displayed for each individual item you focus when in Ondeck or Recently Added. Default artwork will still be displayed on sections that do not have their own artwork. You can still disable the slideshow.

This feature seems to be broken with the latest update on preen.
    edited December 2011
    Russ wrote:

This feature seems to be broken with the latest update on preen.

Russ, Can you tell me what version of the skin you are running (in addon.xml) and what version of Lakita as well as OS.

I am running the latest Simplex Energized 1.0.5.2 on Lakita 0.9.5.2 on Windows and it seems to work fine

EDIT: Okay I see the slideshow does not work with the original home screen but does with the alternate view. I merged some changed in and geuss I wrote over that part. Will fix for next version.

EDIT: Russ, thanks for the find! It is now fixed.
    Thanks! :)
  • maaniacmaaniac Members, Plex Pass Posts: 190 Plex Pass
    Jason,

Recently viewed Shows comes up blank with just the unwatched episode numbers. Is that a known bug? Anyone else having this issue?
    maaniac wrote:

Jason,

Recently viewed Shows comes up blank with just the unwatched episode numbers. Is that a known bug? Anyone else having this issue?

Yup, It's a bug! I totally refactored the Simplex list code so I can use parts of it for the new experimental fanart view (which template is still a moving target) and must have missed that one. I will fix it for next release.
  • RmaxRmax Members Posts: 49
    i would love a Fanart view :)
    thx for your work
  • maaniacmaaniac Members, Plex Pass Posts: 190 Plex Pass
    Things have been quiet for the last few weeks. Wondering if development is still ongoing?
    maaniac wrote:

Things have been quiet for the last few weeks. Wondering if development is still ongoing?

Yup, Been busy with xmas stuff and the kids; you can expect more in the new year!
  • SaschaSascha Members Posts: 45
    edited February 2012
    I realy like the grid view that ReFocus for Plex has. I would love such a view in Simplex! And is it possible to implement the plot in the OSD like the original Simplex does?

ReFocus grid view:
    b6ac5598216d46df0e38600c49640fe6649aba4f_0.png
    Are we to expect any updates soon? Would love to see what you have cooking!
    Been busy with another Plex project for the last few months so I won't get a chance to update anything here for at least another month or so I would think.

I don't think too many people use this skin so I have not made it a priority, but I will have some updates coming.
    A few changes:
    - Fixed a few navigation bugs (will go back to proper spot when you exit out of ondeck now);
    - Recently Watched list now works
    - Reduced the black background to be more transparent for better fanart viewing (Thanks 'DJ Sascha')
    - Added Season x Episode to OSD
    - A few other misc things
    - Added Info section (as an option; can be hidden) to On-Deck / Recently Added on Home Screen

simplex-ondeck-info.png
  • jcasterajcastera Members, Plex Pass Posts: 109 Plex Pass
    Hi Jason,

Love your take on Simplex. Have you merged the latest changes from the main skin ?