Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Simplex Fanart View Mode

Jason MehringJason Mehring Posts: 281Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited December 2011 in Simplex
Request for suggestions
I have created a fanart type view for Simplex Energized, but am having problems figuring out what to do with the list.

I am trying to show as much as the fanart as possible without obstructing it (as shown below). The only issue I have so far is trying to figure out what to do with the list. Currently it is just floating, but may be hard to read in its current state. I was thinking maybe I could show a diffused background behind the list when you are clicking up and down, then maybe make the background disappear after a second or 2 of inactivity until you touch start clicking again. You would still be able to see the list like it is shown below, but it would have some contrast to it when you start clicking again.

So thats my idea, does anyone else have something that may work?

The screenshots below is an actual implementation of a fan art type view for movies, tvshows, seasons and episodes.
simplex-fanart2.png

simplex-fanart1.png

Comments

• thomasbrucethomasbruce Posts: 146Members
    edited December 2011

I have created a fanart type view for Simplex Energized, but am having problems figuring out what to do with the list.

I am trying to show as much as the fanart as possible without obstructing it (as shown below). The only issue I have so far is trying to figure out what to do with the list. Currently it is just floating, but may be hard to read in its current state. I was thinking maybe I could show a diffused background behind the list when you are clicking up and down, then maybe make the background disappear after a second or 2 of inactivity until you touch start clicking again. You would still be able to see the list like it is shown below, but it would have some contrast to it when you start clicking again.

So thats my idea, does anyone else have something that may work?

What about instead of the OSD like info box just use the same gradient as the top bar at the bottom? probably look a little bit cleaner.... Maybe make it 4 list items high and have the list also in there at the bottom.
  • Jason MehringJason Mehring Posts: 281Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What about instead of the OSD like info box just use the same gradient as the top bar at the bottom? probably look a little bit cleaner.... Maybe make it 4 list items high and have the list also in there at the bottom.

I'm starting to drop the info to the bottom and will try getting rid of the OSD to see how it looks. I want to see as much as the fanwork as possible while at the same time has as much info as possible at a glance and at the same time have a very readable list from a 10 foot distance :)

My latest version is getting closer (screen shot below). Right now this is available in the latest Simplex Energized build on preen / github as an experimental view (needs to be enabled via skin menu). You can switch view by pressing the left arrow/key to the default view and I was thinking of adding the option to click right and all the OSD type info would slide off the screen to the right.

simplex-fanart3.png
    edited December 2011

I'm starting to drop the info to the bottom and will try getting rid of the OSD to see how it looks. I want to see as much as the fanwork as possible while at the same time has as much info as possible at a glance and at the same time have a very readable list from a 10 foot distance :)

My latest version is getting closer (screen shot below). Right now this is available in the latest Simplex Energized build on preen / github as an experimental view (needs to be enabled via skin menu). You can switch view by pressing the left arrow/key to the default view and I was thinking of adding the option to click right and all the OSD type info would slide off the screen to the right.

I was thinking more like this (see image below, an old mockup I made) maybe not as high up as the mockup to be able to see more of the fan art but you get the idea + it's easier to see the list item text and buttons :)

4_Movie1_MOCKUP.jpg
  • maaniacmaaniac Posts: 190Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

simplex-fanart3.png

Jason, I like the idea too put the focus on the fanart but i'm not to thrilled about the placement of the OSD. What about keeping it with the translucent list but have the movie or show info appear to the left of the list after a certain time interval or when the user clicks to the right? This would give you a bit more space to put the information and it won't feel so cluttered.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,902Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I like thomasbruce's mockup! It looks really nice, and totally fits in with the Simplex vibe.
    I'm going to play around a bit and remove the OSD style for sure. If the details go at the bottom I want to keep it under a height of 200 pixels, which means I can not include the list there since there would only be 2-3 list items visible. I will see if I can do something with thomasbruce's mockup though.

I think I will also try using the right arrow to expand the details, and maybe replace the list or make it shorter. Ideally I only want to have a translucent background for anything that will display on the page so there will be no (or very minimized) visible lines or borders cause I want to be able to see that artwork!

Its too bad I am not a graphic artist; would be much simpler to mock things up first instead of implementing it :)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep them coming!

I'm going to play around a bit and remove the OSD style for sure. If the details go at the bottom I want to keep it under a height of 200 pixels, which means I can not include the list there since there would only be 2-3 list items visible. I will see if I can do something with thomasbruce's mockup though.

I think I will also try using the right arrow to expand the details, and maybe replace the list or make it shorter. Ideally I only want to have a translucent background for anything that will display on the page so there will be no (or very minimized) visible lines or borders cause I want to be able to see that artwork!

Its too bad I am not a graphic artist; would be much simpler to mock things up first instead of implementing it :)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep them coming!

made a crude mockup for you :) if you want to use some of the elements like the gradient behind the plot and list let me know. Did you get the mail I send you through the plea forums by the way?

mockup.jpg

• pooploserpooploser Plex Ninja Posts: 958Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    i'm not trying to be a party pooper here, but isn't it a bit of a shame that for every skin the same viewmodes end up being made?
    What I do find special abou Simplex among other things is its movie menu, and the intentionally little information you get about each movie..
    I just don't think a 'fanart' viewmode is necessary, or looking good for it, there is other, fanart based skins, such as Aeon, let's not end up making every skin look the same, please, and be creative ;)
    pooploser wrote:

i'm not trying to be a party pooper here, but isn't it a bit of a shame that for every skin the same viewmodes end up being made?
    What I do find special abou Simplex among other things is its movie menu, and the intentionally little information you get about each movie..
    I just don't think a 'fanart' viewmode is necessary, or looking good for it, there is other, fanart based skins, such as Aeon, let's not end up making every skin look the same, please, and be creative ;)

Personally speaking, I love the simplex view, but I really prefer a fanart view as well. I really like (yes, really really like) how the original authors of Simplex created their skin for the most part. The reason I created 'Energized' was to allow me (personally) to be able to see as many details as possible at first glance for movies and TV Shows. I also really like a fanart background so I can see the images provided. I do understand that some people such of yourself do not want other view modes, so that is why I made it an option to even allow the display mode.

If you don't like the fanart view, my suggestion would be not to click the option in the 'experimental' section. Also, you may prefer the original 'Simplex', which does not have this option :)

/Jason

• SaschaSascha Posts: 45Members
    edited January 2012
    I love Simplex! And I would love a fanart view. But when I activate the expermintal option, nothing is changing... Is this normal behaviour?

Oh, and I realy like the mock-up of Thomasbruce! It would be awesome if this could be implemented.
    DJ Sascha wrote:

I love Simplex! And I would love a fanart view. But when I activate the expermintal option, nothing is changing... Is this normal behaviour?

Oh, and I realy like the mock-up of Thomasbruce! It would be awesome if this could be implemented.

Once you enable 'experimental' option, you can then press left arrow to toggle in between fanart and regular view. The existing fanart view is not too great, but I use it daily since I love the fanart. I have not had time this last month to update it to look nicer, but I will :) I also have a few things for thomas I need to finish as well.
    Thanks, that does the trick.
    edited March 2012
    I've edited some files to make the black more 'transparant' so I can see the fanart better. And I like it!

Before:

Screenshot-Simplex-12.png
    Screenshot-Simplex-13.png

After:

Screenshot-Simplex-Energized-Zelf-Getweaked-4.png
    Screenshot-Simplex-Energized-Zelf-Getweaked-6.png

If someone want to know how I did it, I'm happy to share the files.
    DJ Sascha wrote:

I've edited some files to make the black more 'transparant' so I can see the fanart better. And I like it!

If someone want to know how I did it, I'm happy to share the files.

Nice, Please share!
    edited March 2012
    Unzip this file and move the files to Library - Application Support - Plex - addons - skin.simplex.energized - media. Finder will ask you to replace the existing files, and you have to confirm that.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,902Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Thanks for sharing!!
    DJ Sascha wrote:

Unzip this file and move the files to Library - Application Support - Plex - addons - skin.simplex.energized - media. Finder will ask you to replace the existing files, and you have to confirm that.

I added your changes to the simplex.energized repo :) Thanks again!
    You're welcome! Nice to know that you like it!
  • duyvan82duyvan82 Posts: 109Members ✭✭
    does anybody know how to get rid of the on deck/recently added stuff on the home screen? I just wanted to have a cleaner home screen :)