Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Simplex

CloudDwellerCloudDweller Members, Plex Pass Posts: 228 Plex Pass
edited December 2011 in Simplex
A simple and elegant skin for Plex
Introducing Simplex v 1.0.6

After a few weeks off, I've been working on an update to Simplex. I've not been able to get as much done as I'd like as works gone super crazy but hopefully you'll like the changes I've made. Here's a quick rundown of whats new.

New - Option to hide Channels
New - Option to hide Search
New - Option to hide the Power Menu
New - Network Preference
New - Media information OSD (DialogFullScreenInfo.xml)
New - Repeat & Shuffle player controls
Updated - English & Swedish translations
Updated - Keyboard shift, delete & space buttons (should help with non English translations)
Fixed - Quit, restart & sleep power options should now work correctly

New Media Information OSD
ScreenShot2011-12-05at214813.png
The update its now live in Preen or if you prefer to install manually, you can download it here.

I've also been really pleased to see mod's of Simplex starting to appear. Its great to see the skinning community embracing Simplex and some very talented people (Eric Wascome & Jason Mehring) have come up with some terrific ideas.

I'll hopefully find some more time over the Christmas break to work on some more updates. There's still plenty that I would like to see added to Simplex and will continue to keep pushing the design to forward, hopefully in the right direction :P

CloudDweller

Comments

• friedflixfriedflix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,013 Plex Pass
    awesome update! just an fyi, preen doesn't seem to be working for me...
  • David SnyderDavid Snyder Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,484 Plex Pass
    Love that Media Info OSD CloudDweller, keep up the awesome work!
  • MartinAylaMartinAyla Members, Plex Pass Posts: 848 Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    Nice work CloudDweller, thanks for the updates, keep 'em coming! :)

I can't remember, did you do a "Codec Info" screen (the one showing fps, cpu usage etc. while playing a video) for Simplex (if not, will it be in a future update)?

Regards,
  • AljrobAljrob Members, Plex Pass Posts: 139 Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    CloudDweller - great work, I love the concept of Simplex.

However, one thing keeps me from making this my default skin, which is lack of a tile/icon view for both tv shows and movies.

I know there is support for keeping things as simple as possible (hence the name!) but any chance of giving us this option? I have no desire for big fanarty screens or anything, but do find visual cues (and 2D scrolling) allow me to select what i want from a large library faster than scrolling down a list.
  • CloudDwellerCloudDweller Members, Plex Pass Posts: 228 Plex Pass
    I'll be adding a Codec Info dialog hopefully in the next update, plus I've noticed a few bugs here and there so I'll try and squash them too. I've got no plans to add a tile/icon view any time soon but as more of the base features are added/completed then I may look at additional views later on. Never say never :)
  • AljrobAljrob Members, Plex Pass Posts: 139 Plex Pass

I've got no plans to add a tile/icon view any time soon but as more of the base features are added/completed then I may look at additional views later on. Never say never :)

I'll be keeping my fingers firmly crossed!
  • freedom80freedom80 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Could you change the home page fanart to display only the images from the selected media section? Alaska theme and Jasons Energized mod got this working. Oh and please don't include other view options without adding a kiosk mode. Keeping the navigation simple, right?
  • jp12xxjp12xx Members Posts: 588
    freedom80 wrote:

Oh and please don't include other view options without adding a kiosk mode. Keeping the navigation simple, right?

And make that "kiosk" mode default B)
  • puithovepuithove Members, Plex Pass Posts: 407 Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    freedom80 wrote:

Oh and please don't include other view options without adding a kiosk mode. Keeping the navigation simple, right?

+1 please!
  • macnaxmacnax Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass
    Stupid question probably, but how do you get the OSD working? I only get the time scrubber, but no additional info.
  • SaschaSascha Members Posts: 45
    I have the same stupid question as Macnax...
    Simply hit T on the keyboard to bring it up or what ever button you have mapped on your remote. Its not possible to access it yet using an Apple remote but I will be adding this very soon.
  • SaschaSascha Members Posts: 45
    Oh, okay, I only use an Apple Remote. That's the 'problem'.

I would love that I just have to hit the pause-button and that it appears like in your screenshot.

And maybe you can make a toggle for this in the skin-preferences so that the people who don't want this can turn it off.
    edited December 2011
    Okay here's Simplex 1.0.7 with the obligatory list of changes:

• Fixed - Audio Playing Indicator alignment issues
    • Updated - Media Information can now be accessed using Apple Remote. Simply press up or down on the remote when the VideoOSD is visible
    • Updated - Moved fast forward and rewind speeds to the top left of the VideoOSD
    • Added - Numeric keyboard so you can enter IP addresses etc.
    • Added - If video is playing, it is now visible in the calibrating screen
    • Added - Fast forward and rewind speeds to OSD progress bar
    • Added - Codec information screen (WIP so it's a little rough but hey its really only used for debugging)

Direct download as always is available from here and it should be available via Preen within the next 24 hours. If you're wondering why such minor updates, its mainly because I'm struggling to find time at the moment to work on Simplex as much as I'd like to. Hopefully I should get some time over the holidays to work on a few more things.

As always please keep the feedback and bug reports coming.

CloudDweller.
  • puithovepuithove Members, Plex Pass Posts: 407 Plex Pass

If you're wondering why such minor updates, its mainly because I'm struggling to find time at the moment to work on Simplex as much as I'd like to.

Thanks for the update. I know I'm not alone when I say that I appreciate your time and dedication.
    puithove wrote:

Thanks for the update. I know I'm not alone when I say that I appreciate your time and dedication.

That really means a lot. Thanks.
  • jsahlenjsahlen Members, Plex Pass Posts: 29 Plex Pass
    Agreed. I really love this skin – it's been my new default since the first release, and it's great to see it becoming sharper and sharper with each release. Thanks for your hard work!
    edited December 2011
    jsahlen wrote:

Agreed. I really love this skin – it's been my new default since the first release, and it's great to see it becoming sharper and sharper with each release. Thanks for your hard work!

Thanks for those kind words. It's comments like this that keeps me going and of course my love for Plex :D
  • martzukmartzuk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 513 Plex Pass
    Is there any possibility of having more than one power option available rather than having to choose only 1 in preferences? for example sometimes I might want to just power the media centre down or sometimes I will want to quite plex to update or change something? I would think that having three options under the shutdown option would work well?
  • dedalusj@gmail.comdedalusj@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
    Could I cast a vote to add the finish time to the playing show OSD?

It's the feature I miss the most from an otherwise fantastic skin