If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

RELEASE: Alaska/Dark for Laika

pooploserpooploser Plex NinjaPosts: 958Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
edited December 2011 in Alaska
the much-requested dark version of Alaska is finally here!
Hello everyone,
And first of all many thanks for the kind words about my original re-vamp of the Alaska skin for Plex 0.9.5 Laika edition!
Many of you wanted a black/dark version of the Alaska skin, and therefore, with many many thanks also to the original inventor of this gorgeous theme, I present you the Laikafied Alaska/Dark!
It will be available soon as a separate skin in Preen, since choosing colour themes isn't possible anymore in Plex, I had to make two separate skins. However, the features (and therefore bugs, too) will be identical.
To install (until available in Preen): download here, and unzip, rename the folder to skin.alaska-dark and place it inside the [USER]/Library/Application Support/Plex/addons folder.
I will as always be open to hear suggestions, but let's not make this a request-fest, please ;) I will have VERY little time the next few months so if possible, rather let me know the urgent things that need fixing. :)
Also, in this version included is the option (in Settings->Alaska) to switch the default selection in the home menu between On Deck and Recently Added (MERCI beaucoup Sebastian)!!
Once again, MANY THANKS to all of you! ENJOY!
Long story short, here's some screenshots for you:
Alaska skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
Alaska/Dark skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
My flickr account

Comments

• syncopationsyncopation Posts: 592Members ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Edit: sometimes reading the initial post, does indeed help a lot. Thanks for this :)
  • friedflixfriedflix Posts: 2,018Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This looks terrific. The one thing that always held me off of Alaska was the white background. Awesome!
  • otto-mateotto-mate Plex Ninja Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Looks great - off to install :)

Thanks

M.
  • weishengweisheng Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Thanks for the great theme! Enjoying it tremendously, much easier on the eye in a dark room too.

Just FYI, I have a few PBS documentaries and the PBS network logo seems to have differing indentations for different series. Any idea why?
  • pooploserpooploser Plex Ninja Posts: 958Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    many many thanks for the kind words everyone!
    Weisheng: care to screenshot for further clearing? :) gracias!
    My flickr account
  • pm.fitzgeraldpm.fitzgerald Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hi, is it possible to install this for Plex on a windows 7 htcp? I have downloaded the file above, unzipped, renamed and put it in the Plex addons folder. However, in Plex I can't see it listed as one the available skins...

I really like the look of this dark version of Alaska. The home screen looks perfect as do the different view options (I also like your taste in Movies Pooploser)!!
  • pooploserpooploser Plex Ninja Posts: 958Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    i'll find out about this, it should work but i will make sure and get back to you! :)
    thanks, i find it a healthy 1% alternative to 99% of other skinners that use Avatar & co. as preview screenshots :P
    My flickr account
  • weishengweisheng Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hi, I've attached some screenshots. There's a difference in positioning of the PBS network logo on different series.
  • pm.fitzgeraldpm.fitzgerald Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    pooploser wrote:

i'll find out about this, it should work but i will make sure and get back to you! :)
    thanks, i find it a healthy 1% alternative to 99% of other skinners that use Avatar & co. as preview screenshots :P

Great many thanks! Can't wait to start using this skin. Maybe it will be available via the Skin Manager for windows soon?

Nice to see another fan of Berlin Alexanderplatz. That's in my library too.... one of the great masterpieces ever made for TV viewing!
    Have you ever seen Heimat?
  • phunkysaiphunkysai Posts: 1,166Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I have the cool CD Art visualizer enabled in the skin settings, but when music starts playing, the artist's backdrop will display for about a half-second, but is then quickly replaced by the generic music section (ipod silhouette) background....any ideas on how to fix this?
    Also, is it possible to get a view that doesn't show any information under the titles of movies and tv shows?

I know it's subjective, but I find my list of tv shows and movies a bit busy, and would just like to see the movie title or the tv show title as I scroll (not the number of episodes, nor the genre/duration of movies).

Maybe have a view that moves that info to the left-hand side under the poster?

Thanks for the great skin!
    edited December 2011
    there is the poster view which is really minimal… ?
    this is as "minimal" as any skin will get, if you want to remove certain things from a certain viewtype, i can recommend you to edit the .xml files for your own personal use in skin.alaska-dark/720p/Viewtype_poster.xml f.ex.
    In the .xml file, you can find the bits you want to delete, e.g. Listitem.Genre, and remove that label. i don't think i'll be modifying the current views, unless there's some bugs, but stop by in chat sometime if you need more guidance in that direction ;)
    My flickr account
  • HenningzHenningz Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    phunkysai wrote:

I have the cool CD Art visualizer enabled in the skin settings, but when music starts playing, the artist's backdrop will display for about a half-second, but is then quickly replaced by the generic music section (ipod silhouette) background....any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm having the same problem using the Spotify plugin in Alaska Dark. In regular Alaska it works fine and looks great but in dark it just displays the correct fanart briefly before switching to the section artwork. Shouldn't be thart hard fixing I guess?
    there has been a setting added about Fanart in Dark alaska (regular will get the love this weekend too).
    You can choose whether it should be your custom Fanart folder or the ones that are specified in Plex Media Manager.
    under Settings->Alaska-> Now Playing. :)
    My flickr account
  • HenningzHenningz Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Great, now it works fine! Alaska Dark is really stunning by the way, great work!
    Thanks for your replies pooploser!
  • mendodavemendodave Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I really like the dark Alaska, Pooploser, good work!

I call it "Baked Alaska"

thanks!

david
  • jennifer8jennifer8 Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I too have always loved Alaska, but the white was too much for me. This is just perfect - thank you, Pooploser for taking the time to do this!

For various reasons I have iTunes purchased content included in my library, though I very well know that Plex cannot play DRM protected media (I include a note in description that it cannot be played in Plex and to use Front Row or AppleTV instead). With Mediastream, if I accidentally chose to play one of these files, it would actually either try to play it (massive stutter) or give me an error indicating it is unable to play it.

When using the Alaska Dark skin, the Plex client crashes almost immediately.

Not that big a deal since I don't expect Plex to play it but thought it interesting that whatever skin I'm using impacted how that was handled.

Again, thank you for doing this. I'm loving Alaska Dark!!!
  • mrazstermrazster Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hi..

First off..many thanks for talking the time with this skin, it´s an absolute piece of art.
    For me it´s the only one that has the wright balance between benig "sober" and simple, yet elegante and beautiful, and still maintaining great functionality.

But there is one thing I would like help with or request !!
    I have en extensively large library of musicvids and I would love for it ti have it´s own place/section/name on the homescreen along with "movies" ant "tv shows" e.t.c.
    Would that be possible somehow int the future release. Maybe add a section in the settings for Alska where you can add more sections and maybe rename current ones ?

If this is something you NOT would consider I respect that, but in that case could you or someone else maybe point me in the right direction as how to do it my self ?
    mrazster wrote:

Hi..

First off..many thanks for talking the time with this skin, it´s an absolute piece of art.
    For me it´s the only one that has the wright balance between benig "sober" and simple, yet elegante and beautiful, and still maintaining great functionality.

But there is one thing I would like help with or request !!
    I have en extensively large library of musicvids and I would love for it ti have it´s own place/section/name on the homescreen along with "movies" ant "tv shows" e.t.c.
    Would that be possible somehow int the future release. Maybe add a section in the settings for Alska where you can add more sections and maybe rename current ones ?

If this is something you NOT would consider I respect that, but in that case could you or someone else maybe point me in the right direction as how to do it my self ?

You can add your own sections in the Media Server. Just open the media server, add the new section(s), name them whatever you want, and they will appear in the Plex client.