If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Problem playing certain videos - e.g. no audio or no video.

darrindarrin Plex Dev TeamPosts: 2,044Members, Plex Pass
[font=Verdana, Arial,]The most common of these seems to be with people running into problems playing mkv files. Many have used MakeMKV or other tools to generate their mkvs[/font] which I'm told[font=Verdana, Arial,] most often create mkvs with mpeg2ts video and DTS audio. Unfortunately these are NOT a formats supported officially by Google TV (though apparently both work fine on the Sony NSZ-GT1). [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial,]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial,]Since every video format is not supported by Google TV - to get around codec limitations you'll need to use Handbrake or something else to re-encode the video into a container and format that Google TV understands. Should you have to understand and do this? Not ideally. However until the GoogleTV supports enhanced HLS (at which point Plex will do this for you auto-magically) you'll have to pay a bit closer attention to your media choices. MediaInfo is great for helping to figure out how your media is really encoded. [font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial,]The list of codecs/formats/containers [/font][font=Verdana, Arial,]supported by Google TV can be found here: Supported Media Formats - Google TV.[/font][/font]

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial,]
[/font]
[/font]

For those interested here's a decent summary of video containers, video codecs and audio codecs to help explain some of the nuances related to them check out: http://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/mediaformats.html.

[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial,]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial,]--[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial,]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial,]Why can't Plex work magic on the Google TV like it does on other platforms? [/font][font=Verdana, Arial,]In my original announcement of Google TV - I mentioned that Google TV does not support HLS at this point. HLS is required in order for Plex to support a good number of channels, subtitles, and to transcode codecs and containers that are not supported natively by the Google TV but are supported by other versions of Android (Honeycomb and higher). A future patch from Google will add support for enhanced HLS on Google TV and at that time Plex for Google TV will automatically transcode your videos on the fly just as it does for other platforms. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial,]

Thank you for your patience.

[/font]
Please visit the Android FAQ for network troubleshooting tips and if you're not sure how to Capture a Logcat and Caputre a Plex Media Server.log. To ensure a prompt reply - please always include a link back to the topic you're writing about!!

Follow me (darrin) on twitter for Android and Google TV related goodness.

Thanks!
-Darrin

Comments

• erikmerikm Posts: 12Members
    Hi Darrin.

Can you comment on the status of this issue now that GTV does support HLS??

I have a large number of videos encoded using MakeMKV. I cannot get these to play on my Logitech Revue. I either get no audio or no video. I have tried numerous combinations of settings in advanced for direct play, direct streaming and HLS support. I find that with direct play forced, I get either no audio or no video, as might be expected. With direct play disabled, I get the following message:

We're sorry but there was a problem attempting to play "<video name here>":
    An error occurred (error 0x 17: UNKNOWN)

I will try to get a log cat and PMS log sent in soon.

Logitech Revue - 3.1
    Plex for GTV - 2.0.3.3
  • erikmerikm Posts: 12Members
    Logs sent.
  • darrindarrin Plex Dev Team Posts: 2,044Members, Plex Pass
    erikm wrote:

Hi Darrin.

Can you comment on the status of this issue now that GTV does support HLS??

I have a large number of videos encoded using MakeMKV. I cannot get these to play on my Logitech Revue. I either get no audio or no video. I have tried numerous combinations of settings in advanced for direct play, direct streaming and HLS support. I find that with direct play forced, I get either no audio or no video, as might be expected. With direct play disabled, I get the following message:

We're sorry but there was a problem attempting to play "<video name here>":
    An error occurred (error 0x 17: UNKNOWN)

I will try to get a log cat and PMS log sent in soon.

Logitech Revue - 3.1
    Plex for GTV - 2.0.3.3

Logitech Revue still doesn't support HLS eric - but it will when it gets the patch. That's your issue.

Please visit the Android FAQ for network troubleshooting tips and if you're not sure how to Capture a Logcat and Caputre a Plex Media Server.log. To ensure a prompt reply - please always include a link back to the topic you're writing about!!

Thanks!
    -Darrin
  • njack21njack21 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass
    I have a similar issue to this but it is not isolated to mkv files. In fact I'm not sure what the issue is.

I have 2 Google TVs. One is a Logitech Revue, the other is a Sony Bluray player.

On the Logitech, everything works fine, I can play videos, get audio, as I say, no issues at all.

On the Sony, for certain videos, I start a video, hear audio, but do not have video. The video will 'play' for about 20 seconds and then stops completely.

I've cleared the app data, rebooted the GTV, rebooted my ReadyNAS Ultra4 running Plex Media Server, etc. I've even uninstalled Plex from the Sony GTV, rebooted, then reinstalled. The issue persists.

Suggestions?
  • darrindarrin Plex Dev Team Posts: 2,044Members, Plex Pass
    njack21 - the issue is most likely that PMS is having trouble transcoding those video... one thing to try is turning on "Offer Choice of Direct Play" in Advanced Settings. Try forcing direct play with the ones that work on the Revue. Media analysis will get better over time - sorry for the trouble.

Thanks!
    -Darrin
  • jaadfoojaadfoo Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass
    I've got a similar issue with mkv files, but with a few additional details. All of my movies are encoded in HandBrake using the same profile (attached). Some of these play fine on GTV, but others will have only sound, no video. I've used mediainfo to look at the file details, but I'm not seeing any obvious differences. I verified the problem videos on the server and using the Plex client on my Galaxy Nexus phone. Both work fine.

The fact that both working and non-working videos have the same encoding parameters has me stumped. Any ideas?
  • Enzo01Enzo01 Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Pretty sure advanced HLS support is now out for the Revue =).

My question is, now that it's supported, is it an either or toggle? Will everything be transcoded? As opposed to before, it attempted to direct play everything with varying success? I just snagged a Revue and am anxiously waiting to put Plex on it! Curious as to how it works in case I'd have to trouble shoot some files not working or being weird =P.

Edit: Found the answer in various blog posts =P. I guess the media server determines it on a per file basis, though it may be conservative. The option to give the user an option (=P) is also very cool. Can't wait to give it all a spin.
  • BudwyzerBudwyzer Posts: 179Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Got my NeoTv Prime last night and it's begun playing without the video. It supports HLS, im prety sure. It says it's using it at the top of the video.
  • ZeliardMZeliardM Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I was looking at getting one of the NeoTV Prime units...I'm interested to see if you get this working...
  • BudwyzerBudwyzer Posts: 179Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2013
    ZeliardM wrote:

I was looking at getting one of the NeoTV Prime units...I'm interested to see if you get this working...

I gave up
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/59622-netgear-neotv-prime/
    Sorry to hear that...I was hoping to find out if it was an issue with the Plex for Google TV app and maybe the new Plex for Android that can be installed on Google TV would help...its supposed to be coming out for PlexPass members today or tomorrow...oh well...
    Sorry to hear that...I was hoping to find out if it was an issue with the Plex for Google TV app and maybe the new Plex for Android that can be installed on Google TV would help...its supposed to be coming out for PlexPass members today or tomorrow...oh well...
  • MrgagreerMrgagreer Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a Vizio co-star running honeycomb I find it does not play mkv files or files that are encoded AAC 5.1 audio  but does play 2 channel stereo, makes me believe it is an audio issue not video. even mp4 files with 5.1 audio will have no sound.

• slick8086slick8086 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass
    edited February 2014

Just FYI the link to the list of codecs/formats/containers supported by Google TV in the OP is no longer working.  I found this link to similar information.

https://developers.google.com/tv/android/docs/gtv_media_formats

• Schicksal01Schicksal01 Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Same Problem here with the firetv.

• googlebooglegoogleboogle Posts: 5Members Plex Pass

I installed the FireOS5 beta and it resolved all playback issues with plex.

• paradoxhubparadoxhub Posts: 89Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@googleboogle said:
    I installed the FireOS5 beta and it resolved all playback issues with plex.

is there a guide on how to do that? and if so, would you recommend doing it when all I do with my firetv box is watch plex?

• googlebooglegoogleboogle Posts: 5Members Plex Pass

Just signup to Amazon developer site and it will rollout new beta os. It does have bugs mind. If yours works I wouldn't bother changing

• toran4toran4 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What is the status of this? I have a Philips 40PUT6400 with Plex installed on it.
    When I try to play movies that I have encoded using Handbrake (Normal or High Profile preset) I get no video, only the audio plays.
    If I try (in Plex app) to force transcode to a low bitrate I can get sometime can get a single frame displayed on the TV, but after that only audio.

The movies that can’t play on the TV plays fine on other android and windows devices.

I can play some other videos using Plex on this Philips TV so I guess that it is a problem when playing movies that needs transcoding.

• andi_sandi_s Posts: 12Members ✭✭

I also have playback problem with a Philips Android TV (40PUK6400). Opened a thread for that (https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/219809/please-help-video-playback-problems-with-philips-puk6400-android-tv#latest) and uploaded log files. But is seems that nobody is interested to help.
    Also registering for the beta programn did not improve anything.