If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex app for Panasonic Smart Viera

Comments

• infestacoolinfestacool Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I will donate also. I'd love to a full gui version on my tv. The Roku isn't cutting it.
  • LWatchornLWatchorn Posts: 16Members ✭✭
    edited December 2012
    The Viera TV's are much better at handling DLNA than the Samsung TVs. I own two Samsung TVs and two Panasonic Viera TV's and hands down, the Panasonic TVs just plain work better. They FF, Rewind, pause, stop, and on the newer (2012) TV, it remembers playback position. The Samsung TV's have clunky FF & rewind--sometimes you have to use the FF/RW buttons and other times you need to use the right or left arrows to "jump" forward or back for files with the same h.264 video, aac audio codecs (with the same container) and neither remembers playback position. There is no reason for such random behavior. For this reason, I like the Panasonic TVs networking functionality better and think they are a better platform for Plex than Samsung. I would really like to see a Plex app for the Viera TVs.
    DLNA Environment:
    Synology DS411
    Samsung PN58B860Y
    Samsung PS51E550D
    Samsung BD-E5900
    Panasonic TC-P50ST50
    Panasonic TC-P50U50
  • ronwasteronwaste Posts: 12Members
    I'll donate to!
  • MiloudTMiloudT Posts: 7Members
    I'd love to have plex on my Panasonic TV. I am actually using my plex server (synology NAS) with viera connect, but sadly I haven't the optimized Plex interface.
  • syskasyska Posts: 1Members
    I really want this too.

One of my biggest concerns about buying a Panasonic TV.
    edited December 2012
    This begs the question--are any of the developers following this thread? I would like to know if they are entertaining the idea of writing an app for the Viera line or if this is nothing more than wishful thinking on our part.
    DLNA Environment:
    Synology DS411
    Samsung PN58B860Y
    Samsung PS51E550D
    Samsung BD-E5900
    Panasonic TC-P50ST50
    Panasonic TC-P50U50
  • xasteyxastey Posts: 3Members
    Hey guys my wife JUST bought me an Panasonic VIERA TC-P55VT50 55 for our anniversary today. I already registered with Panasonic dev centers so I'll see what I can wipe out, not making any promises but I'll update you guys as I go, but first I need to figure out why Plex wont work on my Win7 x64 pc lol
    xastey wrote:

Hey guys my wife JUST bought me an Panasonic VIERA TC-P55VT50 55 for our anniversary today. I already registered with Panasonic dev centers so I'll see what I can wipe out, not making any promises but I'll update you guys as I go, but first I need to figure out why Plex wont work on my Win7 x64 pc lol

Congrats on the anniversary and on the sweet new toy :-) Yes, keep us posted.

Thanks!
    DLNA Environment:
    Synology DS411
    Samsung PN58B860Y
    Samsung PS51E550D
    Samsung BD-E5900
    Panasonic TC-P50ST50
    Panasonic TC-P50U50
  • mattydmattyd Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    There should be movement in the early stages of the development space on this soon. At least one of the official Plex developers has a new Panasonic plasma. The viera environment can have applications developed in java based Ajax-CE or in html5. Plex has a paid account on the Viera Connect Developer site, so it will happen eventually.
  • bardekbardek Posts: 1Members
    keep in mind that viera connect app platform does not support many media formats so only streaming is the case.
  • xasteyxastey Posts: 3Members
    bardek wrote:

keep in mind that viera connect app platform does not support many media formats so only streaming is the case.

Yeah I found out and DNLA support isn't available in viera connect apps, so everything would be transcoded. Well I just wasted $129 for a dev license ><
  • OckingshayOckingshay Posts: 283Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Positive news is that Panasonic is now part of the smart tv alliance along with Samsung to make a single platform/sdk.
  • joaocdnjoaocdn Posts: 4Members
    LWatchorn wrote:

The Viera TV's are much better at handling DLNA than the Samsung TVs. I own two Samsung TVs and two Panasonic Viera TV's and hands down, the Panasonic TVs just plain work better. They FF, Rewind, pause, stop, and on the newer (2012) TV, it remembers playback position. The Samsung TV's have clunky FF & rewind--sometimes you have to use the FF/RW buttons and other times you need to use the right or left arrows to "jump" forward or back for files with the same h.264 video, aac audio codecs (with the same container) and neither remembers playback position. There is no reason for such random behavior. For this reason, I like the Panasonic TVs networking functionality better and think they are a better platform for Plex than Samsung. I would really like to see a Plex app for the Viera TVs.

Is the Pause/FastForward/Rewind/Resume functions working for you?

I just bought a Panasonic TX-L47ET5 and I'm using my macbook as Server.
    I can find my movies and even play them with subtitles, but everytime I try to pause or FF or RW, it always goes to the beginning and starts all over again.

Any help?
    joaocdn wrote:

Is the Pause/FastForward/Rewind/Resume functions working for you?

I just bought a Panasonic TX-L47ET5 and I'm using my macbook as Server.
    I can find my movies and even play them with subtitles, but everytime I try to pause or FF or RW, it always goes to the beginning and starts all over again.

Any help?

Yes, all work fine. The FF & RW are stepped, meaning the more times you press them, the faster the FF/RW speed--similar to Tivo and other DVRs. As for starting at the beginning, I haven't had that problem. It's hard to say if it's your TV firmware or if it's the MacBook. One thing to point out is that I'm not going through Plex for my Panasonic TV's because my movies won't play--something about incompatible file format or something like that. I'm assuming I need to create a profile to use Plex for those TV's. I've been playing movies straight through the TV from my Synology NAS running it's own media server. I'm only using Plex for my Samsung TV's.
    DLNA Environment:
    Synology DS411
    Samsung PN58B860Y
    Samsung PS51E550D
    Samsung BD-E5900
    Panasonic TC-P50ST50
    Panasonic TC-P50U50
  • iRon01iRon01 Posts: 3Members
    edited February 2013
    LWatchorn wrote:

Yes, all work fine. The FF & RW are stepped, meaning the more times you press them, the faster the FF/RW speed--similar to Tivo and other DVRs. As for starting at the beginning, I haven't had that problem. It's hard to say if it's your TV firmware or if it's the MacBook. One thing to point out is that I'm not going through Plex for my Panasonic TV's because my movies won't play--something about incompatible file format or something like that. I'm assuming I need to create a profile to use Plex for those TV's. I've been playing movies straight through the TV from my Synology NAS running it's own media server. I'm only using Plex for my Samsung TV's.

No, nothing works fine :-( See my post here: Post 2 @ Plex no longer working well with Panasonic TV since forced upgrade

So, any help?
  • HealeydaveHealeydave Posts: 280Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Wow, so glad I just thought to check on Plex support, I was just about to pull the trigger on a Panasonic TX-L55DT50B.
    I had assumed a Plex client was available for all smart tv's now, especially a brand like Panasonic.

This is a gorgeous tv with built in satellite and digital terrestrial tuners and seems to benchmark well, especially now it can be bought for around £1,250 but after having spent loads of time narrowing down the right model for my budget, not having Plex is a deal breaker :-(

Since this thread looks like there is little movement in nearly 12 months and there's no obvious indications that is likely to change, its back to the drawing board. I guess I need to research the best LG I can find for my budget now, because Samsung has an horrendous reliability track record in this household. So far I've had a TV, Refridgerator and Printer all fail from Samsung, so am boycotting them for sure.

 MacMini 2.4 GHz Core2Duo 8Gb DRAM - PMS   |    ATV4 Plex Client   |    iPadMini - UnityRemote    |    iPadAir - Plex for iOS   |   2 x  iPad3 - Plex for iOS   |    iMac 27" Retina 4.0 GHz Intel Core i7 24Gb DRAM

Panasonic TX-L55DT50B (55 inch) 3D LED   |    Sony DA2400ES HDMI Receiver   |    Vu+ Solo 2 E2 Satellite STB   |   Drobo 18Tb Mass Storage Unit   |   2 x LG 32LA620V 3D LED & 1 x LG 42LN613V (Bedroom TVs)

• HealeydaveHealeydave Posts: 280Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2013

Ok, so I spent a few more hours assessing alternative panels and decided for the price of £1,245 with a 5 year warranty, the Panasonic 55" deal was not surpassed by any other panel with a Plex smart tv app.

I guess it wasn't the deal breaker I thought it was after all, as much as I'd have liked to have a native client on the TV, at the end of the day, my PMS does and probably always will sit in the main lounge and might as well also serve as the reliable Plex client it always has.

In reality, its probably more useful to have a native Plex client on the smaller tv's you might have scattered elsewhere in the home (not next to your PMS).

Here's a tip to consider, a second hand 27" iMac makes a great bedroom tv also!
    I have done it myself (see pic below), using an EyeTV satellite tuner and of-course Plex. It turns on fast from standby, configured right, its needs no interaction from a keyboard or mouse, all control (including switching between EyeTV and Plex) is done with an Apple aluminium remote. When you consider the cost an a smart tv, if you can pick up a good deal around the £600 mark, you have a much more powerful solution than just a TV panel costing the same!

 MacMini 2.4 GHz Core2Duo 8Gb DRAM - PMS   |    ATV4 Plex Client   |    iPadMini - UnityRemote    |    iPadAir - Plex for iOS   |   2 x  iPad3 - Plex for iOS   |    iMac 27" Retina 4.0 GHz Intel Core i7 24Gb DRAM

Panasonic TX-L55DT50B (55 inch) 3D LED   |    Sony DA2400ES HDMI Receiver   |    Vu+ Solo 2 E2 Satellite STB   |   Drobo 18Tb Mass Storage Unit   |   2 x LG 32LA620V 3D LED & 1 x LG 42LN613V (Bedroom TVs)

• brian4ajobbrian4ajob Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Someone want to spearhead a kickstarter.com project to get someone paid to code this?  I tried to start one but don't have a personal business license needed to accept funds.

• kvskvs Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I tried signing up for a VIERA Developer account. Unfortunately, the trial doesn't include access to upload the app to the TV, so there's no way I could test the functionality.

Basically, it's possible to develop either an Ajax-CE app or an HTML5 app, the latter only being supported on 2012+ models.

The APIs exposed allows video to be player via either HTTP Live Streaming or regular HTTP streaming. In both cases, the supported format is mp4 with h.264 video and AAC audio - no details about channels or such, for passthrough purposes.

The Ajax-CE stuff seems to support basic drawing (boxes, boxes with rounded corners), and image objects, so it should be possible to do some fanart/poster-loading.

But as I mentioned, the trial doesn't allow uploading to devices, so I can't even try to make a prototype :-/

• André.JeAndré.Je Posts: 224Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How much is a full membership/year? Would you be able (and willing :)) to develop the app, if there'd be a crowdfunding for you? ;)