If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex app for Panasonic Smart Viera

Comments

• HealeydaveHealeydave Posts: 280Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2013

Having only just learned of this exciting project today [Hangs head in shame], I'm wondering if this method could be used in a similar way to provide a long awaited Plex client for Panasonic Smart TV's?

Basically some clever out-of-the-box thinking has enabled the manipulation of an exiting app on un-jailbroken AppleTV's (including the 1080p ATV3) to be re-jigged to provide the Plex client on the devices!

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57831-plex-atv-think-different

http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/06/04/introducing-plexconnect-an-appletv-client-which-thinks-different/

 MacMini 2.4 GHz Core2Duo 8Gb DRAM - PMS   |    ATV4 Plex Client   |    iPadMini - UnityRemote    |    iPadAir - Plex for iOS   |   2 x  iPad3 - Plex for iOS   |    iMac 27" Retina 4.0 GHz Intel Core i7 24Gb DRAM

Panasonic TX-L55DT50B (55 inch) 3D LED   |    Sony DA2400ES HDMI Receiver   |    Vu+ Solo 2 E2 Satellite STB   |   Drobo 18Tb Mass Storage Unit   |   2 x LG 32LA620V 3D LED & 1 x LG 42LN613V (Bedroom TVs)

• thecraw_authecraw_au Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Really hoping that we get a Viera App for Plex....only just jumped on the Plex bandwagon yesterday. 

Have my desktop, android devices, phones and Synology nas all running Plex but my 2013 Viera is looking like something out of the...well the 2012's ! :)

Just adding that I would be happy to shell out for a decent app for Viera. Just as I have with the Plex app. 

• ezhirzhan102193ezhirzhan102193 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So wish this would happen.

• André.JeAndré.Je Posts: 224Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agree! This would be fantastic. Can't wait for this to happen :)

• NudibranchNudibranch Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You can count me in for paying for the app if it came to be.

• GillyshereGillyshere Posts: 1Members

and me...

• plex@thebenesch.complex@thebenesch.com Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just ordered a Panasonic plasma TV and am seriously considering developing a client app for it.  The issue is that Panasonic offers two completely different development platforms: Ajax-CE and HTML5.  Ajax-CE is the older platform that supports 2011+ Panasonic TVs & Blu-ray players.  HTML5 is only supported on the 2012+ TVs.

I think I could develop something better in HTML5, and it might be useable on other TVs that support HTML5.  However, it would only support newer models and leave Blu-ray players out completely.

So, which do you prefer: a better app for 2012+ TVs, or a more compatible app for 2011+ TVs & Blu-ray players?

Yeah! Definitely HTML5 although I am not a 100% sure if my STw50 will support it. I bought this TV in 2012.. So I guess HTML should work..

Thank you!!
    noreason wrote on June 28 2013, 11:48 PM: »

Yeah! Definitely HTML5 although I am not a 100% sure if my STw50 will support it. I bought this TV in 2012.. So I guess HTML should work..

Thank you!!

It looks like like *50 series supports HTML5, while the *30 series only supports AJAX-CE, so the HTML 5 option should work for you.

• TK02TK02 Posts: 1Members

Definitely HTML5!!!

Thanks :) Btw, how much would you think, would the development cost all in all?
  • kevanbulmerkevanbulmer Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass

Hi

I am considering building a HTML5 app, but I am put off by the expensive membership costs, if anyone wants to seriously setup a kickstarter for this I'd be willing to make a start on building something.

Thanks

Kev 

noreason wrote on June 29 2013, 12:12 PM: »

Thanks :) Btw, how much would you think, would the development cost all in all?

Really good question - are you talking out-of-pocket expenses or counting all development time?  The out-of-pocket expenses will be rather reasonable.  I figure I'll have to pay $130 for the developer account, but hopefully that's about it  The development time is almost impossible to tell.  I'm pretty sure a barebones HTML5 client could be developed rather quickly, but I don't want to stop at a barebones client.  Some of the clients out there are quite beautiful, and I'd like this to be on par (or surpass) those.  So I figure if I move forward, I'll put in hundreds of hours of my own time.

Not too much of a response (not enough Panasonic users out there?), but I think I will give an HTML5 version a try. I think it has the best long-term opportunity, and could be leveraged for other TVs in the future.

I don't even have my new TV yet, but I've started putting together some proofs-of-concept with promising results. My aim for version 0.1 will be basic: manually enter server IP, display all TV Show & Movie libraries, and play full-screen via HLS (Plex transcoding) using a very basic interface. Future versions will add more options (e.g., bitrate), myPlex, DirectPlay/DirectStream, and a better interface.
    Yes please! Thank you!
  • SnowleX01SnowleX01 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    plex@thebenesch.com wrote on July 2 2013, 6:05 PM: »

Not too much of a response (not enough Panasonic users out there?), but I think I will give an HTML5 version a try. I think it has the best long-term opportunity, and could be leveraged for other TVs in the future.

I don't even have my new TV yet, but I've started putting together some proofs-of-concept with promising results. My aim for version 0.1 will be basic: manually enter server IP, display all TV Show & Movie libraries, and play full-screen via HLS (Plex transcoding) using a very basic interface. Future versions will add more options (e.g., bitrate), myPlex, DirectPlay/DirectStream, and a better interface.

Sounds good! You have all my spiritual support, and I will be happy to test it if necessary.

It would be nice to have something like the Serenity app for android on the the Pana (https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android)

Thanks again for taking care of it

Some good news.  I have a basic HTML5 client working on my Mac.  It still has a long way to go before it's ready for distribution.  I don't even have my Panasonic TV (backordered) yet so I have no idea if it will actually work on the device itself.  I am following the guidelines in the documentation, so I am optimistic.  So far, I have the following working:

1. Library listing (including TV shows & seasons)

2. TV-friendly library scrolling using arrow keys (should be up & down buttons on remote)

3. Library navigation using enter & backspace keys (should be OK & Return keys on remote)

4. Movie & TV show/season/episode thumbnails

5. Full-screen playback using HTTP Live Streaming (i.e., Plex Transcoding)

6. Jump to letter in list when a letter/number is typed on the keyboard (unsure if this will work on the TV with a keyboard)

Minimum work to be done before a beta is released:

1. Fast-forward / rewind functionality

2. Settings panel to set server IP, server port, and possibly some transcoding settings

3. Many tweaks & improvements to the user interface

4. Add proper error checking (in case some files don't have particular metadata) 

5. Testing on an actual TV

6. Submission to Panasonic for QA & approval to app market

Work to be done in future versions: 

1. Movie & TV show/season/episode metadata display

2. Watched status functionality (including continuing where left off)

3. myPlex support

4. DirectPlay & DirectStream support

5. Improved UI

6. Advanced options

7. Subtitles

8. Audio/Photo support

Sounds great! I guess not every Panasonic user is actively following this thread. Nevertheless your App will be highly appreciated :)
  • Can't wait to test this on my new TX-L55ET60E if you make a Kickstarter project i'm more than happy to donate! :D

• hpedersenhpedersen Posts: 1Members
    Indeed I am waiting for a long time for a Plex app for the Panasonic TV. I will gladly support it.