If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex app for Panasonic Smart Viera

Comments

• André.JeAndré.Je Posts: 224Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Btw is there a way to beta test it?
  • didudidu Posts: 40Members ✭✭

Can't wait a client for Panasonic !
    I am waiting my TX-P42ST60E :)

If there is a way to help or need dev skill, I am ready !!!!

• plex@thebenesch.complex@thebenesch.com Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As soon as my TV arrives and I get it working on an actual device, I will see about getting it distributed.  I'm wondering if it would work just within the Viera web browser, since it is just an HTML5 app.  If so, I may release a beta accessible through the browser and release the app when it is more stable.

Just added the "watched status" functionality, so it sends the last timecode to the Plex server, so you can continue from other Plex clients.  It will also pick up the last timecode and give you the option of continuing or starting from the beginning (just like other Plex clients).

I've also added basic 30-second skip forward & backward.  True rewind/fast-forward functionality may have to wait for DirectPlay/DirectStream functionality,  Native HLS does not appear to support faster-than-normal playback (since by its very nature it is "live streaming").  I may revisit this at a later date.

Here's a taste of where it is so far.  Very simple right now, but it's a start.

http://imgur.com/a/Tqjkt

• many7695many7695 Posts: 237Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    plex@thebenesch.com wrote on July 5 2013, 6:32 PM: »

As soon as my TV arrives and I get it working on an actual device, I will see about getting it distributed.  I'm wondering if it would work just within the Viera web browser, since it is just an HTML5 app.  If so, I may release a beta accessible through the browser and release the app when it is more stable.

Just added the "watched status" functionality, so it sends the last timecode to the Plex server, so you can continue from other Plex clients.  It will also pick up the last timecode and give you the option of continuing or starting from the beginning (just like other Plex clients).

I've also added basic 30-second skip forward & backward.  True rewind/fast-forward functionality may have to wait for DirectPlay/DirectStream functionality,  Native HLS does not appear to support faster-than-normal playback (since by its very nature it is "live streaming").  I may revisit this at a later date.

Looks good, maybe now I will be in interested in purchasing the Panasonic Smart Viera brand.
    My Plex Family
    running plex server on windows 10 HP
    Xbox One 
    IPad Air 2
    Nexus player
    Chromecast
    Appletv 4 currently my favorite
  • teakaauteakaau Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Really excited to see this - great stuff!
  • kevanbulmerkevanbulmer Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass

Would you like to add your code to GitHub, so we can have more developers work on it (including myself)?

• redknight01redknight01 Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Awesome, I've been waiting on a Panasonic app for months now. With regards to the look of the app, my 2 cents would be to mirror the design of Plex HT as much as possible like the Samsung app. Great work, let us know when and how to beta test. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  • atrusatrus Posts: 11,100Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    plex@thebenesch.com wrote on July 5 2013, 6:32 PM: »

Nice job sir. My VT50 is longing for something like this. Looking forward to trying this! Let me know if you need anything.

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page

My real job has taken up most of my time this week, so I haven't had a chance to work on this.  I'm hoping to have some more time in the next couple of weeks to work on it, though.  My Panasonic TV finally arrives tomorrow, so cross your fingers that this will work on an actual TV.

• SnowleX01SnowleX01 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    VieraApp wrote on July 14 2013, 1:07 PM: »

My real job has taken up most of my time this week, so I haven't had a chance to work on this.  I'm hoping to have some more time in the next couple of weeks to work on it, though.  My Panasonic TV finally arrives tomorrow, so cross your fingers that this will work on an actual TV.

Thanks for the info, keep us informed ;)

• a5pirea5pire Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Count me in on this thread....  Ill happily pay for this app and help out in any way I can.  I have a UT50A so hopefully HTML5 works on it.

• pdaboypdaboy Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Thinking about getting a TX-L47ET60B would really swing my decision in favour of it if a plex app would work on it.

Quick update: Work has slowed (due to the aforementioned "real job"), but still progressing.  I finally received the actual Panasonic TV (TC-P60ST60), paid the $130 for the developer account, and low and behold... the app didn't work.  Technology is a bitch, sometimes.  However, I have finally been able to get it to stream video at 1080p using the universal transcoder.  There are definitely still some problems.  The keys that worked well in the browser didn't translate particularly well to the remote control, so that needs to be reworked.  Large libraries are very slow to load & navigate, and setting IP & port is completely broken.  So, there's a lot of work to be done, but I hope to have a good enough app to submit to Panasonic in a few weeks.  Please be patient!

VieraApp wrote on July 25 2013, 3:24 AM: »

Quick update: Work has slowed (due to the aforementioned "real job"), but still progressing.  I finally received the actual Panasonic TV (TC-P60ST60), paid the $130 for the developer account, and low and behold... the app didn't work.  Technology is a bitch, sometimes.  However, I have finally been able to get it to stream video at 1080p using the universal transcoder.  There are definitely still some problems.  The keys that worked well in the browser didn't translate particularly well to the remote control, so that needs to be reworked.  Large libraries are very slow to load & navigate, and setting IP & port is completely broken.  So, there's a lot of work to be done, but I hope to have a good enough app to submit to Panasonic in a few weeks.  Please be patient!

We are all excited to see what you can do with this nighttime project. My VT50 is very interested in trying out a Plex client :)
    Best of luck to you!
     Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
  • LamerTexLamerTex Posts: 16Members

Ready to help testing it on my TX-L39E6 when it's ready :)

Thanks for all the work you are doing and good luck!

• maiismaiis Posts: 2Members

Super cool ! Looking forward.

@VieraApp if i can help anyhow, i'd be pleased. I am front-end developer, html5, css and javascript are my daily tasks.

• theguy64theguy64 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass
    edited August 2013
    VieraApp wrote on July 25 2013, 3:24 AM: »

I hate to be a nuisance, but I have a Panasonic Viera TC-P65ST60. From my understanding, it is still possible to use Plex via DLNA correct? Also, especially if DLNA is not an option, I would like to know when this app will be done. I planned on in about 1 month to components to build a home server from Newegg.com. However, before I spend $600+ on a server, I would like to make sure that I will be able to stream to my TV with Plex.
    edited August 2013
    riley.lloyd24 wrote on August 1 2013, 2:40 AM: »

I hate to be a nuisance, but I have a Panasonic Viera TC-P65ST60. From my understanding, it is still possible to use Plex via DLNA correct? Also, especially if DLNA is not an option, I would like to know when this app will be done. I planned on in about 1 month to components to build a home server from Newegg.com. However, before I spend $600+ on a server, I would like to make sure that I will be able to stream to my TV with Plex.

Yes, DLNA is still available. It is possible that the DLNA profile for Panasonic needs to be somewhat altered to support the 2013 TVs, but I don't know. I have a TV from the 2012 lineup so I can't test if the 2013 line-up works good or not via DLNA. However, you said that you have the ST60 already so you can try for yourself or have you gotten into a problem?

Btw, I do believe VieraApp was quite clear on that he has a day job separate from this. That usually means that he/she will not be able to give a release date. :)
  • didudidu Posts: 40Members ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    I have a PANASONIC TX-P42ST60E and I use Plex with DLNA.

And the result is not very good.....I can't travel in the movie (the movie start from the beginning), I can't begin where the movie stopped  (the movie start from the beginning), sometimes Plex totaly crash by him self during a "simple" play without touching something and....
    So when I use it: I hit the Play button, keep away from me the remote  and Pray for God that nothing happend during the movie.

I read on the changelog of plex beta that there is some modification about panasonic but I don't have more information and I can't test (not plex member).

That's why I can't wait a update of plex or the plex client !
  • yasarymarielayasarymariela Posts: 1Members

Plex app for Panasonic Viera TVs. Bring it ON :)