If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

feature request: iTunes as main menu item

indiepantsindiepants Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
First off, really great job. In addition to the restraint and attention to detail in the visual design you're making some really smart, simplifying choices. From one designer to another—well done!

So, my request: I would love to be able to have iTunes available in the main menu rather than buried two clicks under Channels. Because the music source options are relatively unusable, iTunes is the only way I play music. I suspect that's the case for lots of folks. A few skins have done this to varying degrees—the new Refocus, for example. The ideal solution would be something that let's the user pin whatever plugins they like to the main menu. I'm guessing that's beyond what's in the bounds of the skinning system, though.

This might not fit into where you want to go with the skin or may be something that only I want, so feel free to ignore :) Either way I'll be sticking with Simplex. Keep up the great work!

Comments

• CloudDwellerCloudDweller Posts: 228Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for those kind words. I'm relaly glad that others and not just myself are enjoying Simplex. There's loads more I would like to do but I'm running into the limits of what the current skinning engine will allow. Hopefully over time these will be addressed and I can really go to town.

Thanks also for the suggestion. I'll take a look and maybe add it as an options in skins. I don't think its possible to let the user add there own via a setting so it will have to be hard coded with an option to switch it on and off.

Just out of interest, would you and indeed anyone that uses Simplex also like the option to add the iPhoto channel to the home screen and would you be happy if these are labeled Music and Photos as apposed to iTunes and iPhoto?
  • indiepantsindiepants Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2012
    A couple of nights ago I went and hacked this in myself and it's pretty nice. The way Simplex handles submenus makes it perfect for iTunes—I set it up so you can jump immediately into artist, genres, decades, etc.

I named mine "Music" since I don't have another music source. I think that most users who would like this option wouldn't have another music source added, but if they do labeling iTunes "Music" could get confusing. Personally, I'd be happy with it named either.

I don't really view photos through Plex, but offering iPhoto too kind of logically follows.
    edited January 2012
    indiepants wrote:

A couple of nights ago I went and hacked this in myself and it's pretty nice. The way Simplex handles submenus makes it perfect for iTunes—I set it up so you can jump immediately into artist, genres, decades, etc.

So did you get it to work so that when you are on the home screen and you have iTunes focused, you see artists, genres, decades etc below? Similar to how Preferences and Channels work. If so would you mind PM'ing me and sharing your code?

So did you get it to work so that when you are on the home screen and you have iTunes focused, you see artists, genres, decades etc below? Similar to how Preferences and Channels work. If so would you mind PM'ing me and sharing your code?

Yep, that's it exactly. Code PM'd. Hope it helps!
    Great thanks. I'll try to get this into the next update.
  • freedom80freedom80 Posts: 82Members ✭✭
    Is this also possible to be implemented in the movie sections? Still got hopes to get rid of the intermediate menu somehow.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,901Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    With this implemented, and having the focused item's fan art in the background (rather than a random slideshow) would get me to switch back to this skin. I use iTunes a lot, and this would be very convenient! I would like to request for it to say iTunes, and not music though.
  • marklightmarklight Posts: 1,015Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Russ wrote:

With this implemented, and having the focused item's fan art in the background (rather than a random slideshow) would get me to switch back to this skin. I use iTunes a lot, and this would be very convenient! I would like to request for it to say iTunes, and not music though.

user defined background when on main items with focused item's background showing when a media item is selected would be great. - but yea i'd like the iTunes on the main menu too and can't wait for the next update!
  • soopsnzsoopsnz Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    indiepants wrote:

I named mine "Music" since I don't have another music source. I think that most users who would like this option wouldn't have another music source added, but if they do labeling iTunes "Music" could get confusing. Personally, I'd be happy with it named either.

I don't really view photos through Plex, but offering iPhoto too kind of logically follows.

Hi indiepants, I have also been looking for a way to include itunes in the main menu. Is there any chance I could have the code you used to do this? It would be very much appreciated.
    soopsnz wrote:

Hi indiepants, I have also been looking for a way to include itunes in the main menu. Is there any chance I could have the code you used to do this? It would be very much appreciated.

I've attached my hacked up Home.xml file. It replaces the existing file in the 720p folder of the skin. I'd save the existing one, of course. Also note that I did this a couple of versions of Simplex ago, so I'm not sure exactly what (if anything) is missing from my hacked version and the current official version.
  • soopsnzsoopsnz Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    indiepants wrote:

I've attached my hacked up Home.xml file. It replaces the existing file in the 720p folder of the skin. I'd save the existing one, of course. Also note that I did this a couple of versions of Simplex ago, so I'm not sure exactly what (if anything) is missing from my hacked version and the current official version.

Thanks a lot for the file, worked a treat. You don't by any chance know which file to look at to position the recently added cover art I'm trying to position It above the menu so I can add a submenu for movies and tv shows.