Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Spartacus

How to organize
Before Vengeance I had two separate folders ("Spartacus - Blood and Sand" and "Spartacus - Gods of the Arena"), now with the new episodes from Vengeance I tried doing the same with the new season (created a folder with the name: Spartacus - Vengeance) and Plex didn't recognized it :/

How are you guys organizing Spartacus?

Can you please show the folder structure you guys are using?

Comments

• jamerson9jamerson9 Posts: 771Members ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    I would suggest that you first make sure you have the correct names for the series by looking them up on thetvdb.com.

Then make sure that you are following the recommended file and folder naming guides.

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Plex_Nine_PMS#Media_File_Naming_Guide

If you need to rename and reorganize the files, there are many tv media naming utilities out there like filebot, therenamer etc, to help automate the task.
    The scanners are pretty loose and good with different naming formats, but it seems that its most happy and trouble free when the recommended naming formats are followed.
  • awxawx Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2012
    Try putting them in a single folder. It works for me but I don't think it is the best solution:
    B&S: "S1 Ex"
    GotA: "S0 Ex"
    V: "S2 Ex"

The tvdb seems to have a bad habit of labeling shows as specials. Archer has the same problem.
  • waw74waw74 Posts: 491Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2012
    to expand on what awx said

Main Show Folder titled "Spartacus"
    then...

Blood and Sand (episodes 1-13, aired Jan '10 to apr '10) should be called Season 1

Gods of the Arena (episodes 1-6, aired Jan & Feb '11) should be called Season 0

the current season (started Jan 27 '12) should be called Season 2

now ...
    if we could only get plex back to the old way where is sorted by air date in the all seasons list, instead of just season/episode

and at least it's better than American Dad where fox came back and said season 1&2 are now season 1, season 3 is now season 2, and so on.
    Only Fox and thetvdb use the new numbering, everyone else seems to use the old.

Sources....
    http://thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=129261&lid=7

and the specials page (why can't they put episode numbers for speacials on the big list?)
    http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=129261&seasonid=158701&lid=7

edit below

i just did this, keeps coming up titled with blood and sand
    the season 00 episodes don't match anything that i see anywhere on thetvdb, look like true specials ("andy gets plastered",exposing your ludus")

tried
    "fixing incorrect match",
    removing the whole folder, doing a deep scan, replacing the folder, doing another deep scan.

i think i remember hearing that plex has started a cached version of thetvdb? could it just be that they haven't updated yet
  • Chris CChris C Posts: 11,811Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    I just set up some test files and had no issue at all getting the correct metadata retrieved for the episodes. Test files:

/TV Test Section
      /Spartacus
        /Season 0
          Spartacus - s00e01.mkv
          Spartacus - s00e02.mkv
        /Season 1
          Spartacus - s01e01.mkv
          Spartacus - s01e02.mkv
        /Season 2
          Spartacus - s02e01.mkv
          Spartacus - s02e02.mkv

Showing Season 0 on the Media Manager:

[attachment=9455:Spartacus_season0.jpg]

i think i remember hearing that plex has started a cached version of thetvdb? could it just be that they haven't updated yet

The TheTVDB (and other) agent does, indeed, pulled from a cached copy of the website info. The cache is automatically updated based on user access. Let's imagine that you're the first person to request info for a show/movie/whatever. The Plex servers go out and get the info from the actual website and cache it. When I request info for the same item tomorrow, the cache server sees the info it has is still recent and so sends me that cached info. A few days later, Bob requests it again, but since it's been several days since the info was cached, a fresh copy is pulled from the website and cached again.

So, basically, it's sort of a moving cache that depends on how often a particular item is requested as well as when the cached version of that item was last updated. I've never personally had to wait more than 2-3 days to see new info get pulled by Plex if I update it on the metadata website.

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

i've tried a refresh, and a manual match on the show, and even though i manually match to "Spartacus" (and my main level folder is called that), it still names the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand"
    which up until i saw this thread earlier today all of season one was "blood and sand"

when i did a search on thetvdb for spartacus this afternoon it returned 2 entries, "Spartacus" and "Spartacus: Blood and Sand - The Motion Comic"

now it's returning 6, those 2, plus all the different variations, all of which except for the comic one point to the same showid, so i think they might be working on it since the new season started last night.

i moved the folder, deep scanned, restarted the media server, and ...
    it seems to be matching the correct show
    Jan 28, 2012 22:47:27 [0xa0c39540] DEBUG - Setting GUID for metadata item 14530 (title: Spartacus) to com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb://129261?lang=en (thumb=)

the folder showed up as "Spartacus" in PMS until the artwork showed up, then changed to "spartacus blood and sand"
    and it's still coming up with the wrong metadata.

it it helps, here's all the lines with that showid,
    Jan 28, 2012 22:47:27 [0xa0c39540] DEBUG - Setting GUID for metadata item 14530 (title: Spartacus) to com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb://129261?lang=en (thumb=)
    Jan 28, 2012 22:47:27 [0xa0c39540] DEBUG - No match for item 14530's GUID com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb://129261?lang=en, we're just changing its identity.
    Jan 28, 2012 22:47:27 [0xa0c39540] DEBUG - Migrating metadata settings from local://14530 -> com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb://129261?lang=en
    Jan 28, 2012 22:47:27 [0xa0c39540] DEBUG - Refreshing GUID: 'com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb://129261?lang=en'
    Jan 28, 2012 22:47:27 [0xa0c39540] DEBUG - HTTP request to: http://127.0.0.1:32400/system/agents/update?mediaType=2&force=1&guid=com%2Eplexapp%2Eagents%2Ethetvdb:%2F%2F129261%3Flang%3Den&id=14530

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,811Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    wes, you might be running into a situation where the PMS itself (well, the metadata agents, technically) are locally caching some info. They do that to cut down on the server requests and typically it doesn't cause any sort of issue. But I suppose it could be interfering here. Try:

1. Move your "/Spartacus" directory somewhere else, say your desktop

2. Deep Scan in the Media Manager so it sees the show missing. Empty the trash to remove the show.

3. Quit/stop the Plex Media Server

4. Delete the following two directories:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Caches/com.plexapp.aggents.thetvdb
    ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Data/com.plexapp.aggents.thetvdb

5. Move the "/Spartacus" directory back

6. Restart the PMS

7. Do a Deep Scan of the TV section

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

hooray!

thanks chris.
  • awxawx Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    The Plex Media Manager needs a "clear caches" function that handles these situations.

These special seasons would probably be better shown as S1.5.
  • SilentAssassinSilentAssassin Posts: 1Members
    wes wrote:

the folder showed up as "Spartacus" in PMS until the artwork showed up, then changed to "spartacus blood and sand"
    and it's still coming up with the wrong metadata.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I followed Chris C's directions and I'm still ending up with the same scenario. (as above)
  • sandman4suresandman4sure Posts: 788Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 2012
    The new episode is Season 2 under Blood and Sand, that way it shows up fine for me
  • mikethewxguymikethewxguy Posts: 11Members
    edited April 2012
    My Spartacus is all jacked-up as well...can't seem to get it to display all 3 seasons properly. Right now, "Vengeance" is not showing at all. Those that have it working correctly, I would love to see the way you guys have them named/saved on your drive to work with Plex.

Thanks

Update: Duh! Just figured it out....even though I had changed the folder to SEASON 0, I still needed to change the individual files to read as S00E01, S00E02, etc.....
  • IamSpartacusIamSpartacus Posts: 640Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I have my Spartacus folders listed like so:

/Spartacus
    /Season 0
    Spartacus - s00e01
    Spartacus - s00e02
    /Season 1
    Spartacus - s01e01
    Spartacus - s01e02
    /Season 2
    Spartacus - s02e01
    Spartacus - s02e02
    /Season 3
    Spartacus - s03e01
    Spartacus - s03e02

However The whole folder is labeled as Spartacus: Vengeance and there is no metadata for any of the episodes. I've done multiple deep scans before and after completely removing the Spartacus folder from my server to no avail. Someone who has their Spartacus folder setup right, PLEASE chime in :( .
  • BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,819Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    can you take them out of the directory. empty the plex trash. add them back then after it finishs scanning attach the Plex Scanner.log here. the logs are located in ~/Library/Logs
    Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • IamSpartacusIamSpartacus Posts: 640Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    BigWheel wrote:

can you take them out of the directory. empty the plex trash. add them back then after it finishs scanning attach the Plex Scanner.log here. the logs are located in ~/Library/Logs

Thanks for the reply but I posted in the Windows section because after this thread came up in a search I realized too late that this was the Mac forum haha.
  • IMacosirisIMacosiris Posts: 455Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    diegocj wrote:

Before Vengeance I had two separate folders ("Spartacus - Blood and Sand" and "Spartacus - Gods of the Arena"), now with the new episodes from Vengeance I tried doing the same with the new season (created a folder with the name: Spartacus - Vengeance) and Plex didn't recognized it :/

How are you guys organizing Spartacus?

Can you please show the folder structure you guys are using?

Check the thetvdb.com the correct name for the show is: Spartacus Blood and Sand
    Then you have
    Season 0
    Season 1
    Season 2
    And the current Season 3
    all your file should be Spartacus Blood And Sand S03E01 and so on

Then plex present all the show right
    Simple as that

Running Plex on Mac

PMS Mac Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz 16 GB RAM El Capitan 10.11

Storage 18.5 TB

PHT iMac intel 2007 El Capitan 10.11 4GB RAM Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz

Storage 1 TB

Apple Tv 3

Movies collection

• Movies 3950
    • B-Movies  250
    • Anime 60 Tv shows
    • Concerts 95
    • Complete TV Shows 210
    • Personal Videos 500
    • Adult Videos 300
    • Music 12000 tracks
    • Sports 4
    • 33 Libraries
  • cbeskeencbeskeen Posts: 1Members

all your file should be Spartacus Blood And Sand S03E01 and so on

I know this is years later, but I was having the same issue with "Gods of the Arena" not being seen by Plex. Just renaming the show titles to 'Spartacus Blood And Sand s00e01' worked. Thanks guys!