If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

BBC iPlayer

Anyone else working on this?
I've been playing around with the new plugin architecture (loving how easy it makes stuff compared to normal xbmc scripts) and am interested in putting together a nice simple down iPlayer plugin. Just wanted to make sure no one else is doing anything along these lines to ensure we aren't duplicating work and perhaps start some collaboration.

So far I've got some basic retrival of listings and a directory stucture as well as some fairly crude graphics. If anyone who's more artistic wants to take a stab at making something really nice I'd be more than happy to use it.

I've also looked into retrieving the actual programs by studying an exisiting xbmc plugin, but not really figured out how it works yet. Unfortunately I'm quite busy over the coming weeks, so probably wont have a chance to get it to work that soon. If anyone is interested they could take a stab at retrieving a program and we could perhaps combine our efforts. Let me know if you're interested.

• jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,303Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Sorry, I beat you to it ;) iPlayer is almost finished, my time lately's been spent on getting the App Store plug-in working properly in time for the 0.7.8 release. It'll be released through the store very soon.
  • rivierariviera Posts: 167Members
    Not going to complain about someone else doing the work. After all, my main motivation was wanting to be able to use it and I've still learnt the basics of the framework from hacking some stuff together yesterday, so it definitely wasn't a waste of time :-)

Just wish there was a way to get 4oD to work on a Mac and then Plex now, but unless they change course significantly I don't see that happening any time soon :(
  • jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,303Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    I agree, unfortunately :( it'd be fantastic to get 4oD in Plex, but unless they ditch the Windows Media DRM that isn't going to happen.
  • artywahartywah Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Any chance this could be used to create a player for iView (ABC Australia's online equiv to iPlayer)?

I haven't had a chance to look at the code for plugins at all yet so just throwing this out there
  • rivierariviera Posts: 167Members
    Very hard to tell without being able to see how it's set up. But assuming they don't actively try and prevent it by preventing screen scraping through changing stuff and one can access the videos through a flash player I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I mean in the end all these things like iPlayer, Hulu, Joost etc. are quite similar.

May take a little work to figure it out, but from my experiments getting the iPlayer program listings it's pretty easy to write plugins if you know a bit of Python etc.