If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Ubuntu 11.04 PMM not finding ANY media

canndal@cyberfulcrum.comcanndal@cyberfulcrum.com Posts: 3Members
edited February 2012 in Linux
PMM not finding anything
Hello,

Fresh install of ubuntu 11.10, and 11.04 tested. Fresh install of PMS on both. I cannot add any media to my server. I have mapped network shares to my SMB server, and can browse via the file browser. I can drill down into the share as far as I like, copy files to my linux server, etc. In plex, I can see one share, can attempt to expand it, and nothing other than the share name appears. Plex server logs only show scanning and adding nothing to server which I already know. I am new to linux, but a long time Mac user (12, err 13 years). Am comfortable, but not familiar with linux terminal. I know that I am missing how to properly mount the network share. I have done some research and found that I have to edit /etc/fstab then restart some services in order to get the share to show up in Plex (which is how I have gotten the first share to show up), but cannot browse. If I select the entire share, scanning supposedly commences, and nothing is found. I have purposely renamed files on the share so that they are at the root level, and are simple file names with no spaces, dashes, etc. Still nothing. LIke I said, have tried reinstalling new version of ubuntu 11.04 as I noticed that it was recommended on the plex install page. Banging my head against a wall here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

canndal

Also, the account that I am using to access the SMB resources has read only access. The SMB server is running on an OSX server. The user in question has read only at the POSIX level on the OSXserver, and at the ACL level for the share on the OSXserver as well.

Comments

• canndal wrote:

Hello,

Fresh install of ubuntu 11.10, and 11.04 tested. Fresh install of PMS on both. I cannot add any media to my server. I have mapped network shares to my SMB server, and can browse via the file browser. I can drill down into the share as far as I like, copy files to my linux server, etc. In plex, I can see one share, can attempt to expand it, and nothing other than the share name appears. Plex server logs only show scanning and adding nothing to server which I already know. I am new to linux, but a long time Mac user (12, err 13 years). Am comfortable, but not familiar with linux terminal. I know that I am missing how to properly mount the network share. I have done some research and found that I have to edit /etc/fstab then restart some services in order to get the share to show up in Plex (which is how I have gotten the first share to show up), but cannot browse. If I select the entire share, scanning supposedly commences, and nothing is found. I have purposely renamed files on the share so that they are at the root level, and are simple file names with no spaces, dashes, etc. Still nothing. LIke I said, have tried reinstalling new version of ubuntu 11.04 as I noticed that it was recommended on the plex install page. Banging my head against a wall here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

canndal

Also, the account that I am using to access the SMB resources has read only access. The SMB server is running on an OSX server. The user in question has read only at the POSIX level on the OSXserver, and at the ACL level for the share on the OSXserver as well.

OK, so I got fstab all squared away, and have all of my mounts in order. I am able to see all of them in plex now. I have removed plex, and purged all plex data, then reinstalled for good measure. Now in plex I see all of my shares, but still cannot drill down. I have selected the desired shares, and initiated a new scan. It is turning. Nothing so far, but will see if it finds any media.
  • jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,303Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Does the plex user account have permissions to view the directories? That's the first thing I'd check. I'm not a Linux expert by any means, though, so if that doesn't work hopefully someone more knowledgable will show up to help you out :)
  • canndal@cyberfulcrum.comcanndal@cyberfulcrum.com Posts: 3Members
    edited February 2012
    jam wrote:

Does the plex user account have permissions to view the directories? That's the first thing I'd check. I'm not a Linux expert by any means, though, so if that doesn't work hopefully someone more knowledgable will show up to help you out :)

Thank you very much for your response. Yes, permissions were set correctly on the OSX server, as the linux server could browse the smb share properly. Plex wouldn't drill down into the share when I clicked on the carrot.

I think that my inexperience with Linux was to blame. As soon as I got home (worked on it remotely today at work when I had any down time), it started working! I shouldn't say started... I should say that when I did things in the right order it worked. Don't want to make it sound like voodoo or anything.. heh :-/ Apparently, I needed to reboot the Ubuntu server. Doing a "sudo mount -a" in terminal was not enough. After reboot though, my plex server service was not starting. So, off to google to find the command "sudo /usr/sbin/start_pms" . This started plex back up, but no joy, as all of my sections were gone. Maybe a good thing though? So I continue. Now I have the reboot, Plex started, network shares look the same (although, this time mounted at boot and not with the mount -a command. So I figure, lets see what happens. I go to add a section and low and behold, I can browse my share!!! Apparently, they mount differently when booting, versus envoking the mount via terminal. At this point, I am a pretty happy camper. So, I started adding media. Beautiful, its scanning, adding. I can't believe it. Not to sound totally like a newb, but not a Linux person (obviously). So, now adding media and all looks good. Will make sure to add the start plex command to /etc/rc.local, by using the following command; sudo gedit /etc/rc.local . Then on an empty line, add /usr/sbin/start_pms. I will add some stuff, reboot, and report back. I know I am new to Linux, but am familiar with OSX command line, preference files, permissions issues, (windows, osx server, windows server, IOS.. Cisco, not apple, etc.) etc. This has kind of been a pain. Anyway, enough griping, will report back.

canndal
  • bunheadbunhead Posts: 47Members
    I have a very similar setup to you from the sounds of it. I have a mac mini running OSX server (Snow Leopard) that has multiple external drives connected to it that store my movies, television shows and music. I also have a Ubuntu machine that run PMS (9.5.2). I used to have PMS running on the mini but the mini was just not powerful enough to play hard HD files and it was also not really powerful enough to serve two ATVs at the same time. I digress though. I ran into an odd issue last night where the PMS would not scan new media. After some digging I found that it was one share in particular that was giving me fits. I had OSX aliases in that share to point to other drives so my life would be easier when I add new media. Now this used to not be an issue and I have used this system for 6+ months, but all of a sudden the OSX aliases broke the Linux PMS scanner. I was getting a "file system error 13" (not exact verbiage but close enough), I could not find where or what this error was so I went about doing drive scans and the like to try and fix the drive/filesystem error. Through a process of elimination I found that it was the OSX aliases that were giving me the issue. I removed them and all is right with the world. I don't this that this issue was caused by OSX or PMS rather I think it was an update to the SMB client on Ubuntu because I do try and keep up to date on updates on my Linux machines as a general rule. I guess I should follow one of the cardinal rules of computers and computer networks, "if it ain't busted, don't fix it"

Bunhead