If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Collections Disappear

jmjfjmjf Posts: 63Members ✭✭
I haven't found other posts about this by searching the forums, so...

I use PMS's collection feature to manage sets of media that I'm currently watching. (I have over 160 TV series in my library, so having a collection with 4 or 5 I'm actively watching is easier than scrolling through the big list on the Roku client.)

Problem: PMS drops a collection if any member of the collection changes.

PMS: Plex 9.5.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 (LTS)

Test Procedure:
Create a test library section with copies of 3 pieces of media (tested with movies and TV series).
Refresh Plex Media Manager (web front end).
Add a couple of items to a new collection.
Refresh PMM.
Verify that items are in collection.
In OS of choice (Linux command line, Windows/Mac via SAMBA share, etc.), change the name of one item in the collection (just delete or change a couple of characters that don't affect the item's real name).
Refresh metadata on the test library section (don't need a deep scan or anything).
Refresh PMM.
Collection disappears.

This is more of an issue in TV Series where adding an episode to the series folder causes the collection to disappear.

Anyone else seen this? Workarounds? Does it happen on other OSs? Or is this a Linux-only issue?

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,400Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    It is a web-manager bug, unfortunately. Basically when you create a collection, it's not locked by default. This means that later refreshes will erase the unlocked collection.

We are going to be pushing a fix for the media manager, but for now you can Edit Metadata for each of the shows and make sure that you click the "lock" button manually.

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• fantsypantsfantsypants Posts: 8Members
    all of my media has gone after a reboot. I've tried deleting the entries then adding again but they dont appear again...

Whats occurring?
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,400Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

all of my media has gone after a reboot. I've tried deleting the entries then adding again but they dont appear again...

That sounds like something completely different, this thread is about just collections disappearing.

The only thing I can think of is that your database or environment variables for running the media server changed, so that it's not looking in the same place.

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• fantsypantsfantsypants Posts: 8Members
    elan wrote:

That sounds like something completely different, this thread is about just collections disappearing.

The only thing I can think of is that your database or environment variables for running the media server changed, so that it's not looking in the same place.

Thanks Elan, I'll dig around and report back once its working. Apologies for my lack of patience. The problem is I have so many shows to catchup with :)