If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

My Wishlist

Ideas For Improvement
Hi guys:

Now that I've got Plex up & running (A **PROPERLY WORKING** router with the admin page STILL INTACT & REACHABLE helps :) ), I have a few ideas to make Plex EVEN BETTER (We all like that, don't we? ;) ) !!!!!

1 The ability to add STREAMING MEDIA URLs - This way, we can add some of our favorite media streams & play those back via Plex instead of settling for just the bundled channels (Bundling is so LAST DECADE anyway! Look what the cablecos & telcos did with it & look what we were "Rewarded" with!)

2 FOLDER ORGANIZATION - I have media in SEVERAL directories which PMS has access to. However instead of displaying it in an ORGANIZED mannar BY FOLDER FIRST, everything is displayed OUT IN THE OPEN within the main PMS directory. The end result is all my porn videos (Yes I like my porn on the go! :) *LOL!*) is mixed in along with my Classic TV & video podcasts IN ONE GREAT BIG JUMBLED MESS !!!!!

Ditto with my audio as my Old Time Radio shows are mixed in with all my audio podcasts in YET ANOTHER jumbled mess

Finding a specific audio or video file in either of those jumbled messes is like TRYING TO FIND A COUPLE OF NEEDLES IN A COUPLE OF HAYSTACKS

Orb has folder organization yet despite all its technical flaws, at least I can find stuff because it keeps things nice & tidy :)

Well those are the only two I can think of right now. TTYL.....

Cheers :D

Pat

Comments

  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    PC Bigboy wrote:

    2) Folder Organisation.


    Have you looked into creating collections, or just splitting your, ah.. movies into multiple sections?
    Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
    Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3
  • PC BigboyPC Bigboy Posts: 16Members ✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Trudge wrote:

    Have you looked into creating collections, or just splitting your, ah.. movies into multiple sections?
    Creating collections? :?:

    What I have is all my videos in seperate folders (Porn videos in one folder, Classic TV shows in another & video podcasts with associated subdirectories in yet another). Ditto for my audio stuff (Old Time Radio shows in one main folder that makes all the subdirectories available for access by Plex & audio podcasts in another main folder with each podcast in its own seperate subdirectory which are also accessible via Plex simply by adding just the main folder to PMS)

    Not sure what you call it but I call it organization :)

    Cheers :D

    Pat
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    PC Bigboy wrote:

    Creating collections? :?:

    What I have is all my videos in seperate folders (Porn videos in one folder, Classic TV shows in another & video podcasts with associated subdirectories in yet another). Ditto for my audio stuff (Old Time Radio shows in one main folder that makes all the subdirectories available for access by Plex & audio podcasts in another main folder with each podcast in its own seperate subdirectory which are also accessible via Plex simply by adding just the main folder to PMS)

    Not sure what you call it but I call it organization :)

    Cheers :D

    Pat

    Collections -> http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_MediaManager#Collections


    You could define your sections as Classic TV, Video Podcasts etc - they'll end up as separate menu items in the main menus of the client.
    Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
    Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3
  • mikedm139mikedm139 Plugin Developer Posts: 3,022Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    PC Bigboy wrote:

    1 The ability to add STREAMING MEDIA URLs - This way, we can add some of our favorite media streams & play those back via Plex instead of settling for just the bundled channels (Bundling is so LAST DECADE anyway! Look what the cablecos & telcos did with it & look what we were "Rewarded" with!)


    Have you heard about the myPlex queue? It shows up as "Queue" on your Plex client (desktop/mobile/etc.) and allows you to play... wait for it... Streaming videos that you select and bookmark from your favourite websites such as YouTube, Vimeo, and literally hundreds (if not thousands) more. Head over to my.plexapp.com to get yourself set up.

    If you are having trouble with one or more channels, check here first.
    If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************
    Check out unofficial channels in the
    UnSupported AppStore
    Follow my efforts on Github and Twitter
    Donate

  • jzn2jzn2 Posts: 8Members ✭✭
    PC Bigboy wrote:


    2 FOLDER ORGANIZATION - I have media in SEVERAL directories which PMS has access to. However instead of displaying it in an ORGANIZED mannar BY FOLDER FIRST, everything is displayed OUT IN THE OPEN within the main PMS directory. The end result is all my porn videos (Yes I like my porn on the go! :) *LOL!*) is mixed in along with my Classic TV & video podcasts IN ONE GREAT BIG JUMBLED MESS !!!!!


    I think a great way to solve this issue is to add collection recognition to the file naming scheme and the Library Scanner.
Sign In or Register to comment.