If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Ubuntu_10.04 on ATV1

diezpesosdiezpesos Posts: 1Members
Hoi!

I've installed PMC for Windows on ATV1 with Ubuntu 10.04_desktop and wine.

I had to recompile wine_v1.3 (!!), because there are no binaries for my environment to download anymore in this version and I wanted to compile wine for exactly the hardware and OS I use.

Because ATV1 only has 256MB RAM, You'll have to get a fast hdd (for example a SLC-SSD-drive) because of the swap-partition.

By removing many of unused preinstalled files, programs (office, dev-files, ....) and the tools You need to compile wine (!) it's possible to store Ubuntu_10.04 with wine and a 512MB swap partition on a 8GB drive, so You have the possibility to buy an internal (IDE) drive with a budget of 80€ (be careful to buy SLC, not MLC (which would be much too slow)) - there will be enough space to install spotify, too (with wine or the preview for linux, both versions do their job).

At the moment I use an external SATA-SSD drive on USB; it also works with an 5400rpm internal drive, but much slower.

I have decided to put the system on an internal drive because It's very much safer to do this and I think a little bit faster.

If You've installed everything and it works, do make a backup of the whole disk (for example with the command "dd" on an external system) - this is an important point.

I think this constellation is useable for music only; I haven't tested videos, so I don't know, but I'm pretty sure....

I also would use a USB-Hub to connect keyboard, mouse and an external soundcard with a good quality, the internal does work, but....

So, that's it.

Have a nice day,
diezpesos