Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PLEX as DLNA Control Point

myhtpcmyhtpc Posts: 96Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
The PLEX PMS is already DLNA Server which is absolutely great !

On the other side, the whole DLNA chain is Server => Control Point => Renderer.

Is there any plan to enhance the PLEX-clients with Control Point and the PMS with Render Functionality?

Having PLEX as Control Point, I would be able to search and navigate my movies via my iPad or Android Tablet on my couch and then direct my DLNA TV to play it => killer Feature!!!

If PLEX(PMS) would also be able to act as a DLNA Renderer, wouldn't it then be possible to easily develop Channels to include DLNA streaming (e.g. from an enigma 2 based SAT receiver like DREAM DM8000HD with DLNA Server Functionality)? This would bring multiple new ways to include Live-TV within PLEX.

Am I too exotic with my thinking or would that all make sense?

All the Best

Comments

• myhtpcmyhtpc Posts: 96Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I want to bring this up again.

Is there any plan / chance to enhance PLEX with control point (clients like Tablets) & rendering (PMS)?

Thanks for anyinput
  • MGMMGM Posts: 9Members
    I really support implementing this feature, as already stated in other place... :rolleyes:

former post

Hope this "killer feature" will come soon...

B)
  • dirk.reitz@gmail.comdirk.reitz@gmail.com Posts: 6Members ✭✭
    sounds like a good idea. Hope Tobias or somebody else from the dev team comment on this

brgds Dirk
  • colesadamcolesadam Posts: 2Members
    Love to see this happen. My ideal setup - Android tablet with plex client - browse my movies and play to Samsung TV via DLNA. I have other stuff that will do that with the Plex Media Server via DLNA but the standard DLNA interfaces are just metadata-free folders.
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,359Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Great idea, we'll consider it for the future :-)

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

Hey elan,

that's what I wanted to hear - great news.

This feature will rock!
    Great News! One step closer to THE perfect home media Solution... Thanks!
    hi elan,

is "future" the near future or more longterm?
    Hi elan,

any signal which keeps me hoping?
    Any Updates?
    Still in the consideration state, or One step further?

Any info would be great...

Tank you!
  • mhartvigmhartvig Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I'm actually developing something like this for the WP8. The only feature I'm missing is the a way to determinate the capabilities of the mediarenderer and someway of gettig Plex to transcode if necessary.
  • LongChairLongChair Plex Dev Team Posts: 668Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 2013
    I'll support this feature request as well :)

As the OP I have PMS running on a DS713+ and browsing it with my Ipad / iphone to pick up the movie.

As of now i have to switch to another Ipad app to have the renderer functionnality with the DLNA onto the TV.

Having the DLNA renderer added into the plex players window would be indeed a Killer feature !

Would be sweet to have some feedback to see if this is somewhere into plex roadmap :)

Plex Dev Team

• GalaxisGalaxis Posts: 2Members
    Actually I just bought the iOS app for the sole purpose of controlling my WDTV Live, only to find out PMS does not support DLNA control <_< <br />
    Meanwhile Windows features 'Play to' for ages, right? :P

Oh well, won't get a refund anyhow, so count me in for this request B)
  • NoSNoS Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    myhtpc wrote:

Having PLEX as Control Point, I would be able to search and navigate my movies via my iPad or Android Tablet on my couch and then direct my DLNA TV to play it => killer Feature!!!

I found this out by accident. I just bought a Denon AV Receiver (Denon AVR 1713) which is connected to my WIFI network where my PMS and my LG Smart TV also reside. I went to download this App for my Iphone https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/denon-remote-app/id388608880?mt=8
    and found out that I can access my Plex server and Airplay the contents directly to my LG TV.

Is this the same feature requested here?

I also have Plex App on my Iphone which i used to Airplay to my TV via an ATV-2. Not sure if I can Airplay directly to the LG TV without going through the ATV though.
    no, this isn't the same. All you refer is Airplay which is a proprietary transport-channel for iOS compatible devices. We refer to DLNA which is an open protocol which would allow using our PLEX clients (and their nive navigation interface;-) to browse and search modia on our PMS (or PMS channels) and then choose on which DLNA renderer (e.g. AV-reciver for music, TV for movies or Beamer for pictures) the media should beplayed. And this without having to use a vendor-specific app like your DENON's one
  • NoSNoS Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Ok I see what the requested feature is about now and support this request. I think it's reasonable considering I paid for the App both on my iOS and my Android (TF Prime).

Played around with the Denon App again and found it was faulty and can not play most videos files from my library.

waiting patiently for the next release :P
  • SamJongenelenSamJongenelen Posts: 18Members
    NoS wrote:

Ok I see what the requested feature is about now and support this request. I think it's reasonable considering I paid for the App both on my iOS and my Android (TF Prime).

Played around with the Denon App again and found it was faulty and can not play most videos files from my library.

waiting patiently for the next release :P

Do you mean functionality like 'BubbleUPNP' (Android / Windows app) ?

This would indeed be great! IMO PMS' DLNA isn't entirely feature complete, but i'm confident that it will be soon. Does the Plex team work with a product backlog or something? I'm rather curious about the PMS teams priorities. Just curious because their added 'bussiness value' in every increment is awesome :)
    Yep, BubbleUPNP is the kind of analogy, except, that we have just PMS on the sever side and a great UI (Plex clients) to navigate, find and select th media;-)
  • SamJongenelenSamJongenelen Posts: 18Members
    myhtpc wrote:

Yep, BubbleUPNP is the kind of analogy, except, that we have just PMS on the sever side and a great UI (Plex clients) to navigate, find and select th media;-)

Ahhh yeah, that would be awesome indeed!
  • psimonspsimons Posts: 4Members
    Been directed to this post as my post had been requesting the same feature.

Would very much like this feature to be added and would buy clients across all my devices if they supported it.