If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is there a Plex client with RCA connections?

Is there a Plex client with RCA connections? Or some reasonable solution that gets to RCA connections?

My situation is odd. I have relatives with only 3G internet to their laptop (a Chromebook) and an older TV with only RCA connections. They also have a Win 7 desktop on dial-up that runs Plex and Plex Media Server (PMS), but it's not near the TV.

Is there a way to stream to the TV without upgrading to a TV with HDMI? It seems that the Roku boxes have RCA connections, but require internet, not just a home network.

Thanks!

Comments

• David SnyderDavid Snyder Posts: 1,485Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Roku is the only Plex enabled device with composite output. You can buy HDMI to composite cables but then you also open a whole bag of hurt. I was in a similar situation wanting to hook up one of my Google TV's to a monitor without a second HDMI in an office, purchased cables to do so only to find out that due to the absurd built in copy protection nonsense crapware it would not output video at all without HDMI - I believe the Apple TV will behave in the same fashion. In the end I gave up and just bought a new cheapo HDTV for that room.

Server: Synology DS916+ with Plex Cloud Mirror

Local Clients: Apple TV 4K / Roku 4 / XBOX One X / PS4 Pro / Nvidia Shield / Google Cast

Primary Interface:  Vizio 70" M 4K / Sonos Playbar + 2xPlay1 & Sub / Nvidia Shield / Harmony Elite

Mobile Clients: Nexus 6p / iPhone 6+ / iPad Air 2

Remote Clients:  A dozen or so friends and family members, mostly using Roku 3's

Network:  1GB Fiber

• richardcherronrichardcherron Posts: 9Members
    DavidNC wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Roku is the only Plex enabled device with composite output. You can buy HDMI to composite cables but then you also open a whole bag of hurt. I was in a similar situation wanting to hook up one of my Google TV's to a monitor without a second HDMI in an office, purchased cables to do so only to find out that due to the absurd built in copy protection nonsense crapware it would not output video at all without HDMI - I believe the Apple TV will behave in the same fashion. In the end I gave up and just bought a new cheapo HDTV for that room.

Thanks, David. I was afraid of this. Maybe the ultimate solution will be to get them a cheap set-top box that plays media from a flash drive.

I am still interested if the pros have any suggestions. (Unfortunately, the TV is too far away to just run a cable.)
  • jackandjohnjackandjohn Posts: 420Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My situation is odd. I have relatives with only 3G internet to their laptop (a Chromebook) and an older TV with only RCA connections. They also have a Win 7 desktop on dial-up that runs Plex and Plex Media Server (PMS), but it's not near the TV.

IMO, that whole situation needs to be reappraised.

However, there may be some room for using Internet sharing on the desktop; the roku could dial out for those small checks, then stream over the network.

Another option could be streaming a display across the network to a device with analog out (say an iphone running plex streaming via airplay to a raspberry pi with openelec, or something that would stream from the windows pc, maybe even an analog video solution that uses 5Ghz to transmit the signal

Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS x86_64 | sabnzb+, sickbeard

i3-4330 OSX86 (edits only through clover) 10.9.4 Plex / Backup server / File Server
    ASUS RT-AC66U w/Stock firmware (physical connection to the server)

FTTH (150/30)

2x iPhone 4 w/Plex app, iPad Air 2 w/Plex app, iPad 1st Gen w/Plex app

Roku2 XD w/Official Plex and RarFlix (And U.S DNS)
    Raspberry Pi - Testing RasPlex, OpenELEC and Raspbmc w/ PleXBMC V2 ; blog of this experience @ http://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com

I've successfully run Two (then three) Plex Instances on the Same Server. Click here to learn more: https://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/two-or-more-plex-server-instances-on-the-same-server/

*Constantly happy with how well Plex works, and where it's headed :)

• lazyboneslazybones Posts: 953Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    You could use the WDTV via DLNA..

Where did you see the Roku REQUIRES internet?
  • Chip "Mini" MoonChip "Mini" Moon Posts: 384Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Roku does require internet for initial set up. Although for local network resources as long as its connected to the network it can access PMS locally.

I recently changed ISP's and went without internet for a week and had plex running the entire time.
    -miniMoon

Media Server
    OS - OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4
    Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD
    ASUS - P8Z68-V LX
    Intel i7 2600 3.4 Ghz - Sandy Bridge Overclocked to 4.3 Ghz
    GT-430 2GB DDR3
    3x - 2TB WD Caviar Black SATA HDD (ZFS Filesystem)
    16GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3

Clients
    5 - Roku 2 XS
    3 - Blackberry Playbook
    1 - PS3 / Xbox360
    1 - iPad Mini
    2 - iPad
    4 - iPhone 4S
    1 - MK802 II
    1 - Vizio Co-Star