Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Windows Phone 8

Windows Phone 8
Is there a version of Plex Mobile in the works for Windows Phone 8? If not, is it planned?

Comments

• mfeingolmfeingol Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,091 Plex Employee
    Can't comment officially. Obviously WP8 looks to be an attractive platform from a developer perspective. But devices aren't even out yet, so it's way too early to tell.
  • Jaap_van_EkrisJaap_van_Ekris Members, Plex Pass Posts: 371 Plex Pass
    Please note that Microsoft has indicated that most WP7 applications are compatible with WP8.

That being said, perhaps WP8 opens up more cool features. One thing I hope is a better integration of Plex into the Media hub, making it more like the YouTube integration than a seperate app (i.e. a seemless history and perhaps even browsing from that hub). Somehow transparant integration is pretty cool if it just works :)

Jaap
  • justinhowjustinhow Members, Plex Pass Posts: 158 Plex Pass
    My understanding is that the porting of Windows 8 apps to Windows Phone 8 should be pretty easy.

So if one is done - the other should be largely done as well?

WP8 SDK is now out as well.

Codec support is suppose to be way better under WP8 (up to 1080p) than it was under WP7 - though no mkv support apparently still.
  • DigaoDigao Members, Plex Pass Posts: 100 Plex Pass
    justinhow wrote:

My understanding is that the porting of Windows 8 apps to Windows Phone 8 should be pretty easy.

So if one is done - the other should be largely done as well?

WP8 SDK is now out as well.

Codec support is suppose to be way better under WP8 (up to 1080p) than it was under WP7 - though no mkv support apparently still.

I've been using Plex on a Nokia 920 and have not had any issues so far. Having said that, I hope the offline option recently implemented on the iOS version comes to the WP client as well.
  • mdmagnussonmdmagnusson Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4
    Digao wrote:

I've been using Plex on a Nokia 920 and have not had any issues so far. Having said that, I hope the offline option recently implemented on the iOS version comes to the WP client as well.

I've been running in to problems with low video framerates on the Lumia 920. Did you have any similar problems?
  • TBaileyTBailey Members Posts: 4
    I am trying to run Plex on a Nokia Lumia 920.
    I have installed the full version, but it keeps limiting me to 30 seconds of playback, then redirecting me to the marketplace.
    Also noticing it not showing all episodes that are in a directory for some TV shows.

I'm going to try uninstalling the app.
  • TBaileyTBailey Members Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    Well, that caused more problems.
    Uninstalled and re-installed the app, now says my server is available, but won't download content from it for some reason.

UPDATE:
    Finally started working again.
    Fixed the 30 second time out, but still have low framerate and still not reading all files.

UPDATE:
    Seems fairly stable after another uninstall/re-install.
    Sometimes videos will pause for long periods of time for no reason.
    I was watching the bandwidth on my server while watching a video through the data, not wifi connection, and it would run for a period of time, then pause.
    At the time of the video pause, nothing is being transmitted from my server.
    It will pause for 30 seconds or longer, then I will see a start in transmissions on the server, then video will start on phone again.
  • thermtherm Members Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Two problem i have with WP8 (L 920) so far is resuming a video. When you do this it starts "scaning" the time bar for a while, Like it has to fast forward instead of jumping forward.
    The second as stated before me is the random pauses, i thougt it was my wifi-connection but now i have to test this a bit more.
  • iankenianken Members, Plex Pass Posts: 140 Plex Pass

I've been running in to problems with low video framerates on the Lumia 920. Did you have any similar problems?

Have it on my 8x. dropping frames.

The experience is not good compared to say WinRT or Android.

-Ian
  • jamzkrolljamzkroll Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Please either port the Windows 8 app to WP8 or just plain old update the already existing app. Love Plex and would love to use it like iPhone & Android users get too, instead of having the lite version.
  • vineeryclarkvineeryclark Members Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Recently, One of my friend said about the Windows Phone 8. It is the update that’s supposed to fix all that, a fully realised vision. Windows Phone 8 looks like, well, Windows Phone. There are live tiles

Recently, One of my friend said about the Windows Phone 8. It is the update that’s supposed to fix all that, a fully realised vision. Windows Phone 8 looks like, well, Windows Phone. There are live tiles

Much more than live tiles :) Better screen resolution, NFC, Hardware processing. Many improvements came with the update, now we just need Plex to update their end.
    edited January 2013
    jamzkroll wrote:

Much more than live tiles :) Better screen resolution, NFC, Hardware processing. Many improvements came with the update, now we just need Plex to update their end.

and architecturally a massive change by moving onto Windows 8 Kernal rather than WinCE. This opens up the way for much easier migration of Win 8 metro apps, multi CPU core support, shared driver model. And to add to list: better Skype integration, Office 2013, IE 10, Kid's corner (so your kids can use it but not get to any sensitive stuff etc), backup (though still not perfect), much better start screen, micro SD card support, full SatNav for the car (Nokia Drive is going to be available to all WP8 phones).

Interestingly the Plex Web UI works pretty well on the phone, but phone app update would be great.
  • jamesfmackenziejamesfmackenzie Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass
    +1 from me. I'd love to see an update to the Windows Phone client - especially PlexSync. Currently I carry both my Windows Phone and iPad around just for Plex. I'd rather just carry a phone and leave the iPad at home!
    edited February 2013
    Now there are more wp8 users than wp7 users (via wpcentral). I love your guys' work but I think the Windows Phone app is due for an update.
  • Jaap_van_EkrisJaap_van_Ekris Members, Plex Pass Posts: 371 Plex Pass
    Looking at the Windows 8 client it just looks awesome. Poting some of that great eyecandy to the WP8 devices would be great.

Jaap
    "The Microsoft Media Platform team has recently released the 1.1 version of the Player Framework for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. This release includes several Windows Phone 8 updates. If you are building media applications for Windows Phone 8, this framework offers interesting media support.
    The Player Framework is an open source video player available for Silverlight, HTML5, and Xbox, as well as Windows 8 apps and Windows Phone apps. It allows you to play both progressive download videos and Smooth Streaming videos."

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2013/02/20/microsoft-media-platform-player-framework.aspx
  • jdbrookesjdbrookes Members, Plex Pass Posts: 447 Plex Pass
    Any updates on.. any new updates?

Missing Android-style features like filters, browse by folder, higher res support etc.
  • jamesfmackenziejamesfmackenzie Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

PlexSync on the Windows Phone client! Yes please :-)

Maybe we should start a Kickstarter project? Not that we should have to but I'd like to see a Windows 8 port sooner than later tbh