Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Picture Scanner

mjpmjp Members Posts: 24 Plex Pass
Suggestion
Hi,

I myself is a total noob to developing scanners and such so I'm just throwing my idea out there (nothing special)
Is there a kind soul out there that could make a Picture scanner that just reads a dir and outputs that exact folder structure to plex.

I have a folder with all my photos organized in albums and just want to be able to show them on my plex.

/Sincerely

Johan

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,357 Plex Employee
    That should already work for you in the existing released version, just make a Photo section.

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• thedenethorthedenethor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 124 Plex Pass
    elan wrote:

That should already work for you in the existing released version, just make a Photo section.

Dear elan,

Are you aware of any metadata agent or plugin specifically for Photos section? I' m tagging all my Jpgs like "kids, vacation, family" etc. But it s not possible to browse my files based on tags (like windows media center does) I'm also looking for ability to browse my library based on EXIF data of jpeg files. I could not find any plugins or agents for these purposes, any ideas?

Thnx

Server: My Build , Syno DS1812+ 8x3TB, DX513 5x4TB,TBS 5990 Dual CI SAT, Win 10 U1 x64

Clients: 2xMac Mini, 2XrMacbook Pro 15", rMacbook, iPad Air, iPad3, iPad Pro, iPhone 6Sp/6/5, Lumia 1520, Note5, S7 Edge, Panasonic 55VT30, aTV4/5

• pmxplexpmxplex Members Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Yes, browsing photos by EXIF Keyword tags would be the most sensible thing. Support for GPS tags would also be nice.
    edited October 2012
    Another thing: the photo scanner apparently uses the file *creation* time to detect the date at which the photo was taken. See Plex Photo Scanner.py:
    created_at = time.localtime(os.path.getctime(path))

That might work for the case where plex would run on the camera, but for all other cases, where the photos are copied to the computer running plex some time after the photos where shot, it should use the *modification* time instead of the creation time.
    The file creation time is set automatically to the current time when the copying happens. The modification time however is typically set to the time of the source photos (e.g. SD card).

Until a more sophisticated photo scanning is implemented using EXIF tags, I propose to s/getctime/getmtime/.
    So, after fixing the ctime vs. mtime issue locally, plex provides a proper "By Year" section. During scanning, that is. After scanning has finished, the (personal) metadata agent kicks in and somehow voids all dates. After digging a little, I found class PlexPersonalMediaAgentPhotos, which for some reason does not provide any date metadata. If I patch that class to do it similarly to PlexPersonalMediaAgentMovies (which reads the file's timestamp and adds that as 'year' and 'originally_available_at' metadata, all dates are fine.

I had thought that when the metadata agent does not provide the date metadata, the previously gathered metadata from the scanner would be used, but alas, it's not.

So can someone with enough karma fix the photo scanner to use the mtime and the PlexPersonalMediaAgentPhotos to provide the date metadata just like the PlexPnks!ersonalMediaAgentMovies agent?

Thanks!
  • steffenlsteffenl Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass
    pmxplex wrote on October 15 2012, 8:38 PM: »

So, after fixing the ctime vs. mtime issue locally, plex provides a proper "By Year" section. During scanning, that is. After scanning has finished, the (personal) metadata agent kicks in and somehow voids all dates. After digging a little, I found class PlexPersonalMediaAgentPhotos, which for some reason does not provide any date metadata. If I patch that class to do it similarly to PlexPersonalMediaAgentMovies (which reads the file's timestamp and adds that as 'year' and 'originally_available_at' metadata, all dates are fine.

I had thought that when the metadata agent does not provide the date metadata, the previously gathered metadata from the scanner would be used, but alas, it's not.

So can someone with enough karma fix the photo scanner to use the mtime and the PlexPersonalMediaAgentPhotos to provide the date metadata just like the PlexPnks!ersonalMediaAgentMovies agent?

Thanks!

Hello.

Are someone working on the photo scanner?

I have a huge collection of Pictures going many years back. I was planning on using plex to view this, but as of now Plex is useless for me when it comes to Pictures.

Really hope this is in the pipeline.

• nrutmannrutman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 41 Plex Pass

Another ping here - is it possible to have the "Photos" agent choose folder artwork automatically based on what's in the folder? (e.g. first pic in folder.)  That would be a huge improvement over the generic icon that covers my hundreds of folders...

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,357 Plex Employee
    It's on our list, completely agreed :)

• nrutmannrutman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 41 Plex Pass
    elan wrote on May 27 2013, 7:28 PM: »

It's on our list, completely agreed :)

Awesome, thanks.  And thanks for a great product!

• keflatbnkeflatbn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass
    Any news about this?
    Regarding the tagging part, could it be possible in combination with the multi-user/parental contol scope, to "block out" pictures with certain tags? Pictures from parties, might not be what I want the kids to see :)

\\Kenneth
    Should be fixed in the next release.

• crizzocrizzo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Is there an outlook for the next release that will have an improved photo scanner?  I have all my photos in a pictures directory, then have year subdirectories and month subdirectories within each year.  It appears to me that the photo scanner recursed the initial subdirectories, but once scanned, adding new directories and rescanning does not find the new subdirectories. There appears to be a cache somewhere that is not getting removed even if you delete the Photo library and re-create it.  I have Plex version 0.9.8.18.

• johanensarahjohanensarah Members Posts: 1

I'm happily using Plex, but I have some issues with photo's.

All my photos are black icons and if I select one picture it runs endlessly without showing the picture itself.

Is there a way to fix this?

• a7medo778a7medo778 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 52 Plex Pass

ping

exif tags... any news :D

facetags and that sort of stuff is the only reason why i am not 100% in plex

• giantslorgiantslor Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

I would like to be able to set the scanner to scan a particular field in the Exif data in order to populate Plex's "Summary" field for photos. In my case, the Exif field I would like to use is "Caption-Abstract" (according to ExifTool).

• Fug1Fug1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

Another vote for a photo scanner that can pull file metadata into the summary and date fields. I'm currently using embedded XMP data for my photos. Thanks!

• maxtownmaxtown Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

up

• m3xizm3xiz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

A good photo scanner is really a long awaited feature. With Elan saying in 2013 that it is going to happen...We are mid 2015 and still Nothing. Is there any hope?

• ZeroQIZeroQI Members Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

One can created a test custom scanner in "Plex Media Server/Scanners/Photos/Custom Really Awesome Photos Scanner.py" and the picture library creation popup allow to select it so we can have a custom scanner for photos... The scanner cannot populate much metadata, just the year/date/title, but could create different folder categories for the pictures shall the need arise.

The agent would be the one populating the metadata info from the EXIF/XMP metadata and more especially the summary and title fields. The presence of filters in the Plez web ui for Photos library seem to indicate some undocumented level of support for metadata. What oculd be done with a scanner is populating the title with the exif data, but that doesn't seem that useful and would require a python library that accept being loaded by the scanner....

Photo scanner source:
    https://github.com/plexinc-plugins/Scanners.bundle/blob/master/Contents/Resources/Photos/Plex Photo Scanner.py
    https://github.com/plexinc-plugins/Scanners.bundle/blob/master/Contents/Resources/Common/PhotoFiles.py

Dev center down but link up https://web.archive.org/web/20140107030832/https://dev.plexapp.com/ (Thanks madman) but little on scanners but since i wrote my own i could possibly do it

os.path.getmtime would give last modification time

I don't mind doing a scanner, but all i can give you so far is a way to output logs in a custom log inside Logs folder. This could give a head start to somebody...

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/99484/photo-agent:

Photos are scanned by the standard Scanner (look here: https://github.com/plexinc-plugins/Scanners.bundle/blob/master/Contents/Resources/Photos/Plex Photo Scanner.py ) and additional metadata is extracted by the media server during analysis. There is not a separate agent like there is for other types of media.

The Plex agent seems to extract the EXIF metadatas, but it doesn't extract the XMP or the RDF...
    No agent possible so the margin for manoeuvre is reduced

Absolute Series Scanner (ASS): Seasons+Absolute mode series scanner managing subdirectories and AniDB type specials,with a logging off all files (skipped on top of root folder, then sorted one line per file with regex used and info, all series sorted alphabetically) and one with the filelist to reproduce the library on my end with dummy files. It also add all files and recognise specials pretty accurately.

http AniDB Metadata Agent (HAMA): Some good info there, will have to re-write it at some point... Data folders are kinda mandatory... Huge libraries can fetch 10gb in space. If you have no poster but other metadata is showing, create "Plug-in Support/Data/com.plexapp.agents.hama/DataItems" agent folders as indicated in the readme on GitHub

Impressed by the agent recognition rate? Consider donating few euros through Paypal: Absolute Series Scanner + HTTP AniDB Metadata Agent. (List of all donators: Niegen, Vorador, Fratal, T. Mayville,  A. Estremera, KJKingJ. Thanks guys)

• thetonyleone@gmail.comthetonyleone@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

I would love to see an addon into Plex that would show photos on a map based on GPS locations on the photos like iOS does for them now. This would be a great feature for showing where your photos are taken since we are putting them into plex as our media destination.