Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Audiobooks - support for a 'Resume' feature?

Audiobooks functionality
I have audiobooks as mp3 on Plex (latest Win versions from 9/2012). Plex treats these as music. So when I play the audiobook Plex starts from the beginning, not where I left off. Can 'Resume' functionality be added to Plex for audiobooks that tv shows/movies have. Can a Audiobook media section be added to Plex that has such 'Resume' behavior?

Comments

• adelendaadelenda Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Agreed. Adding an option to remember the last played and playback position of an album would be a great feature to have Plex manage the audiobooks as seemlessly as it handles the TV Shows, Movies and Music.

• f33rxf33rx Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Yes, that would be GREAT! I hate having to remember where I was.

• AntiJohnnyAntiJohnny Members, Plex Pass Posts: 105 Plex Pass
    This is the main reason i have not used plex for my audiobooks thus far. This would be a nice feature
  • HonsouHonsou Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 ✭✭

Yeah, I would really love this. Maybe create another media type separate from music specifically for audiobooks. That would be amazing!

• drylesdryles Members Posts: 1

Amen, This would save me so much headache!

• escl8rescl8r Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass

I was admiring the PMS layout and thinking about how great it would be to have a Library choice on the server just for Audio Books and not just under "Music". Others have already made the point of being able to pause and resume, so I'll just say, "Me To". It would also be nice to not only handle books in MP3 format, but if at all possible, deal with .aa format directly, so books I've bought can be loaded on Plex and streamed, the Bookcovers can be loaded, the book detail displayed just like Movies are. This would complete the Media Management Picture for me.

• budofrokubudofroku Members Posts: 4

How did you get audiobooks to play on Plex?  I have 3 audiobooks and it will only recognize two of them.  The two that are recognized won't play. Thank  you

• pmaherpmaher Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

+1, this would also be great for podcasts.

• flexplex@despam.deflexplex@despam.de Members Posts: 2

Hi Guys,

the original post is from late 2012.

regarding this, i have 3 questions:

is plex now able to

a) play audiobooks

b) has a resume feature, and

c) has the ability to handle audiobooks NOT stored in the musiclibrary?

cheers and have a good time,

• flexplex@despam.deflexplex@despam.de Members Posts: 2

I guess, no answer means no to at least b) and c)

cheers,

• ColonelBarneyColonelBarney Members, Plex Pass Posts: 77 Plex Pass

Features mentioned above would be nice but at the very least is there a way to fast forward a mp3 file? Anytime I try it just moves to the next mp3, so annoying.

• Bastian.Bastian. Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

Resume and shown (heared) and unshown (unheared(?)) would be great. I will love to sync my audiobooks to my iPhone, hear a few chapters and resume in the evening on my pc...

Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, WHS2011 with Plex Server

• christian.hanzalchristian.hanzal Members Posts: 1

Hi there!

Rather old Post but a +1 from me.

Is there any Feature-Request page to place this request to, so the developers will recognize and possibly reply to it?

cheers

Christian

• pattuluspattulus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Another Plex Pass Plus 1 for a resume feature of Audiobooks – as mentioned before: a separate section would be a killer feature for us audiobook nerds.

• caveatsemporiumcaveatsemporium Members Posts: 10

This would be a great feature- I've been using a different app just for audiobooks, but would much rather use Plex.  If the same section could also support resuming play of podcasts, that would be even better!

• robertpolsonrobertpolson Members Posts: 133
    edited November 2013

+1

I think that it would make sense for Plex to add a new category "Audio Books" which would support the resume function.

• BreechesBreeches Members Posts: 4

Bumping this because I would really like to see this functionality added.

Either allow resume playback on audio files or create a new section for audiobooks that allows this functionality on audio files within the specified directory.

Plex 0.9.7.28 on Server 2008R2

2x Xeon x5550 quadcores

18TB RAID50 primary, 14TB RAID5 secondary storage arrays.

Roku 2XS

Proud PLEXpass member!

• Wag3Wag3 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 236 Plex Pass

Me too! Me too!

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 14.04 VirtualBox VM, i7 4470k @3.8GHz, 8GB RAM

Storage: 32TB ZFS Raid

Mobile Client: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, TF101, TF201

Other Clients: Multiple Chromecasts

• trionfantetrionfante Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Count me in!