If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

playback to multiple devices

Ok so just converted over from xbmc, have installed server and media center on multiple machines and is working great, even got the android app working in seconds, There is just one thing I wish i could get this to do...

When browsing through tv shows or films on the android app you click to play and it asks you where you want to play the file, locally on laptop or htpc. please can I have an option that allows playback on all devices at the same time. It may seem totally pointless to some of you but I know there are others like me that want to do this.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this

Comments

• dawagdawag Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass
    I'm in. I have gatherings for watching football games. Often, there are quite a few people all around the house. I have, in the past, set up some pretty complex streaming setups to get synced streaming to different devices, so that no matter where you are, you can see the game. I love Plex and this would be a wonderful feature.
  • pd10867pd10867 Posts: 3Members ✭✭
    ubersteve wrote:

Ok so just converted over from xbmc, have installed server and media center on multiple machines and is working great, even got the android app working in seconds, There is just one thing I wish i could get this to do...

When browsing through tv shows or films on the android app you click to play and it asks you where you want to play the file, locally on laptop or htpc. please can I have an option that allows playback on all devices at the same time. It may seem totally pointless to some of you but I know there are others like me that want to do this.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this

+2 good for parties
  • z9852z9852 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I like this idea too. run it through the transcoder to the lowest common denominator. Then multicast it to the clients. I could see this being cool for music from your library or Pandora too.

• OestOest Posts: 15Members

This has been discussed so many times and the biggest problem is the synchronization of the streaming...especially when we are talking music.

I have developed a UPNP system for multiroom streaming (as I call it) and it involves the NTP protocol for sync of the streams. Regards to Plex I have unfortunately developed this in Java, but it could be ported to Plex. The next thing is, I'm not a developer at Plex...but I will be happy to "donate" or help in this process of this feature.

Best regards

Kenneth

• OrionshockOrionshock Posts: 3,328Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    This has been posted a few times in the plexpass forums. Sync is not exactly a problem as the mpeg-ts format takes care of it, mostly.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

"The Vast Majority of problems come from misguided expectations and poor planning." 
    "If you're going to do something, do it right and do it right the first time." -- Unknown.

Occam's Razor Murphy's Law Hanlon's Razor

• kungenjanne@hotmail.comkungenjanne@hotmail.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The need for a complete solution for a household is in the air.

i think plex server could be the solution.

it is almost everything there.

1. a great playback media player

2. nice solution to control the player from the android/ios/windows plate/phone.

3. a great backbone with the plex server.

so here is my thoughts.

the last two years the plex solution has gone from good to great. i think it is time for the next step.

1. the sync to multiple devices. great if you have a party and want to show videos and sport events. this should also include different streaming to othe single /multiple devices.

2. a freeware solution for streaming to dedicated players. here i am looking for both audio streaming devices and audio/visual devices.

let me explain. in my house hold i have two kids and a number of audio devices. the kids have tv sets with a mediaplayer, so they use plex. the problem for them is that the mediaplayer only have hdmi out. so they cant get the audio out to the stereo.. so if i bought a simple audio streaming device, maybe a rasppi? or a cheapo linux board. or even better a company inegrates the solution as standard. This should be a simple way to connect the stereo to the wifi/eth cable. This should be controlled from the phone/pad/mac mini/windows plex. These players could be "dumb" players. 

3. better plex server integration with youtube, spotify,pandora etc, and of course web streaming radio channels aswell as your own music collection.

there could be a number of things that could be added on top of this.. like cable integration.. but i think that the future is streamed content.. so if i had to choose i go with having the plex as the central hub in my home and get all the content from plex and stream it to different devices.

• buddabudda Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I saw on the RARPlex client the option to sync video playback with another Plex "Friend" (but not another client device on the network).

I've not tested the Friend sync, but it would suggest that there is already something implemented in PMS perhaps?

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,833Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Not the PMS. The sync just starts the video at the friends progress. Think of it just resuming, but again, at the other persons current progress.

BuddaBoy wrote on March 7 2014, 2:27 AM: »

I saw on the RARPlex client the option to sync video playback with another Plex "Friend" (but not another client device on the network).
    I've not tested the Friend sync, but it would suggest that there is already something implemented in PMS perhaps?

• vader88vader88 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass

I have just started using Plex and absolutely love it.

I just want to add that the ability to playback to multiple devices at the same time would be absolutely awesome for me.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,809Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

This was an old thread - but all you people who want this and are PlexPASS users, please add your vote (Like for first post) to this Feature Request thread

Tandem Playback to Several Clients

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• Dr3x1Dr3x1 Posts: 2Members

Sorry for necro, but this thread is the top result on Google when searching for this feature so it seems relevant. @sa2000, it looks like this never became a thing. That's unfortunate. This would be a feature I would actually purchase a Plex Pass for. Nothing else seems worth it. Is there any talk about this still internally I wonder?

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,809Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@Dr3x1 said:
    Sorry for necro, but this thread is the top result on Google when searching for this feature so it seems relevant. @sa2000, it looks like this never became a thing. That's unfortunate. This would be a feature I would actually purchase a Plex Pass for. Nothing else seems worth it.

I can't believe that. Have you seen the list of what Plex Pass gives you?
    There is a table further down this page https://www.plex.tv/features/plex-pass/

@Dr3x1 said:
    Is there any talk about this still internally I wonder?

No - but there have been posts on the feature request Plex Pass topic that say it can be achieved in a way
    Link to Plex Pass post by @jjrjr1 https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1381795/#Comment_1381795
    Contents of Post

You can actually play in tandem if you all sign on to the same account.
    Create an account lets say make the user name tandem (just so this user does not have Admin authority)
    Two or more people (or devices) log on to that account.
    One location starts a media file.
    The subsequent locations start the same media file.
    Plex will give you 2 options
    1 Start at the beginning
    2 Resume
    On the subsequent locations hit resume.
    The subsequent locations will start where the first location is at.
    Users can keep joining the party and if they all hit resume, you will all pretty much be in sync within reason.
    There is latency issues but not too bad.
    Works for me around my house in different rooms and across different physical geo-locations.
    Latency over remote connections is a little worse depending on any transcoding requirements or network latency but it is workable and mostly achieves what coding tandem users would do.
    Just a thought.
    Maybe give that a try and let us know how that works for you.

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• Dr3x1Dr3x1 Posts: 2Members

@sa2000 Yea, really. I don't use PLEX for music or photos. I haven't watched television for over 5 years. I'd rather use my own NAS than your new cloud (cool service though). Multiple users doesn't hold any value for me in an app like Plex like it does for Netflix (also still a cool feature though). Sorry, but I'm just not the target audience for any of these features.

Being able to sync playback and share controls with friends at a distance, however, is of great interest to me. A virtual living room to connect with friends and family has been a dream of mine for many years. Currently it seems the best way to do this is via rabb.it which works with Plex just fine. Alternatively those with VR can use an app like Bigscreen on a Rift/Vive for a really unique media sharing experience.

I realize there probably aren't a ton of people who would actually benefit form this feature as most residential Internet connections don't have sufficient upload bandwidth to stream to more than a couple clients anyway. Those who can probably wouldn't use synchronous playback as much as they might think either. For me though it's an easy sell, and lifetime subs aren't really all that expensive.

FWIW, I hope you reconsider this in the future. For now though rabb.it seems to work fine.

• sam cmsam cm Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass