Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Feature Request: Server Sync

brototypbrototyp Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass
First things first: thanks for an awesome platform. I am using Plex on my LG TV, my notebook and my iOS devices.

There is one feature I would love to see. Especially with the newly announced PlexSync feature.
My current setup is: running PlexMediaServer on a Synology Disk Station. It is the place where all my movies are stored and at the same time it is quite energy-saving.
If I watch movies at my TV or the Notebook everything is fine. Once I want to watch a 1080p on my iOS device everything is very jaggy and it's not really fun. Plus with the new PlexSync feature: Coverting on a Synology Disk Station takes quite a while.

Now to my point: I would love to have the possibility to just start a "supporting" PlexMediaServer on maybe my notebook and let it support the "Master"-PlexMediaServer. Like that everything would simply speed up.

Please think about it and let me hear your thoughts.

Comments

• WBoweIIIWBoweIII Members, Plex Pass Posts: 280 Plex Pass
    I agree a media server sync would be GREAT… It would make backing up completely easy.

Also in a situation where someone has two homes you could put a 2nd media server at the other end and the content could just stay up to date.

It would really make things smoother than having to stream everything
  • tbowe2tbowe2 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 87 Plex Pass
    I also agree......a media server sync would do WONDERS for my family's two homes.....i've been using PLEX now for about 2 months now, along with a Vizio Costar, and a Roku 2 XS, and after testing numerous media servers over that last several years, .........PLEX kills them all by far!! Ease of use, quality, cross-platform functionality......it's just great!!!

I would LOVE to be able to add movies to my main plex server and have it auto sync to my vacation home plex server...would take away the need for backup, and the need for
    dragging external drives with me to 2nd home to copy new movies to library!!

Possible Feature Request?
  • jtapczynskijtapczynski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass
    +1
    I would also find this quite useful too.
  • taylorb831taylorb831 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    +1
  • CipiCipi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

+1

• knutmwknutmw Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

+1

• the_ballthe_ball Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1

I'd love to see this feature as well.

• chrillep chrillep Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

+1

• klittl06klittl06 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1

Agreed!

• Wizard.of.lost.souls@gmail.comWizard.of.lost.souls@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I was actully doing a search to fingure out how to do this..

+1 from me

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,538 Plex Team Member

This is an old thread. Not sure if this thread is in the right forum anyway.

Are you all developers or was this posted here in the hope that developers see this? I think this forum was intended for developers to use.

Anyway, There have been two recent new threads on this in the PlexPASS forums here and here

The recommendation from others is to use products such as BTSync for sync of media etc between two PMS servers.

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• PyrometheousPyrometheous Members, Plex Pass Posts: 32 Plex Pass

+1

• lukasfeitsmalukasfeitsma Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass

+2

all-thin-banner@2x.jpg

• thomasmorusthomasmorus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

+1

• dean_zadean_za Members, Plex Pass Posts: 24 Plex Pass

+1

• mmcdougallmmcdougall Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1

+1

• mpegmanmpegman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass