Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Resolved] Plex causing LG TVs to reboot

matblackmatblack Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited July 2015 in LG Medialink
Fixed in 0.9.7.10
A problem between Plex and the 2011/12 LG Smart TVs is causing the TVs to continuously reboot and rendering them useless unless PMS is taken down or the TV taken off the network.

I understand that LG users only make up a small proportion of Plex users, but this isn't a glitch its a fatal bug for those of us with this combination of equipment.

I'm a big fan of Plex and happily paid for the PlexPass but this has rendered my system useless until its solved

I believe that There is some discussion as to whether this is an LG problem or a Plex problem, but please Plex look into this problem and see if a simple adjustment will save us poor LG owners :)

If you agree this is an issue please up vote this post here
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comments

• dslate69dslate69 Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    matblack72 wrote:

A problem between Plex and the 2011/12 LG Smart TVs is causing the TVs to continuously reboot and rendering them useless unless PMS is taken down or the TV taken off the network.

I understand that LG users only make up a small proportion of Plex users, but this isn't a glitch its a fatal bug for those of us with this combination of equipment.

I'm a big fan of Plex and happily paid for the PlexPass but this has rendered my system useless until its solved

I believe that There is some discussion as to whether this is an LG problem or a Plex problem, but please Plex look into this problem and see if a simple adjustment will save us poor LG owners :)

If you agree this is an issue please up vote this post here
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Disabling GDM Network Discovery will stop the reboots and allow you to use Netflix, etc on your TV but Media Link will NOT work since it relies on GDM to find the PMS.
  • matblackmatblack Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    dslate69 wrote:

Disabling GDM Network Discovery will stop the reboots and allow you to use Netflix, etc on your TV but Media Link will NOT work since it relies on GDM to find the PMS.

Unfortunately that renders Plex useless as the SmartShare on the LG isn't very good unless you want to look through 100s of files to find the one you want to watch.

Yes it's a work around but it's a but rubbish and we need to get GDM fixed from the Plex or LG end

I've actually got my Media Link working by removing a lot of the library including all my music so people might want to try that but it doesn't negate the problem and I'd really like to use full functionality rather than cripple Plex's funcationality

My understand from elan is that this has been brought up with LG although the LG team don't seem to be as active on these forums as they once were :(
    Please development team have you had any thoughts on this or is the ball firmly in LGs court?
  • rojolkorojolko Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Unfortunately, I have the same problem... :(
  • renegaderenegade Posts: 197Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2013
    Interesting,

LG repair man scheduled to visit me tomorrow for this very issue. I wonder what he will have to say about it.

TV has worked fine since March of last year, problem only started after last firmware update, but did not happen immediately after taking it, it waited a few days. It just now occurs to me though, that the problem manifested itself after installing the latest PMS update, so perhaps its then attributed to PLEX, rather than LG.

If the work around works for me, I will be happy. I have a library with over 4000 movies in it and the TV itself will not display the entire library anyhow, so its somewhat worthless to me anyhow.

But, after seeing this, seems to me its just a software fix that will be required from LG, or PLEX.

EDIT:

Out of curiosity, where is the setting to disable GDM. Unfortunately the tv doesn't stay booted long enough to find it. I guess I will just disconnect it from the netowrk and explore.
    GDM is in Plex not the TV

You need to click advanced settings and Network Discovery appears then uncheck GDM

:)
    matblack72 wrote:

GDM is in Plex not the TV

You need to click advanced settings and Network Discovery appears then uncheck GDM

:)

Thank you, that was my next place to look.

Personally I also found another workaround, though it would/should not be acceptable to anyone wishing to use PLEX with LG tv.
    I disconnected my wired connection and connected using my guest wireless network.
    Of course this is a crappy solution.

Needs to be fixed via PMS and/or LG.
    renegad3 wrote:

Thank you, that was my next place to look.

Personally I also found another workaround, though it would/should not be acceptable to anyone wishing to use PLEX with LG tv.
    I disconnected my wired connection and connected using my guest wireless network.
    Of course this is a crappy solution.

Needs to be fixed via PMS and/or LG.

Disabling GDM does not remedy the problem for me when using ethernet.
    So far the only "solution" for me is using wireless guest network.

Just received this

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your email regarding your 42LM670T.

Based on the information you have provided me with and reading through your query, I can advise you that this is not a problem with our TV&#39s. It has been discovered that this is a problem with the Plex software itself. The best way to stop your TV from rebooting would be to uninstall Plex which allows this to work.

I hope this has been of assistance to you. However, if the information I have provided does not help you or if you have any further questions please email again or contact our Customer Service Team again on 0844 8475454 or via the Web Chat facility on our website and we will endeavour to do our best to resolve your query.

Please could I ask you to complete a short survey based on the response and information that I have provided you today. All feed back given is greatly appreciated and helps to improve LG Electronics Customer Services.

Best regards,
    Joshua

TV, Media & IT Product Support
    LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

LG Customer Services
    UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954
    Mon-Fri 8am to 8pm
    Sat 9am-6pm
    Sun 11am-5pm

So there you go, LG are saying its not us and Plex are saying the same thing.
    matblack72 wrote:

Just received this

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your email regarding your 42LM670T.

Based on the information you have provided me with and reading through your query, I can advise you that this is not a problem with our TV&#39s. It has been discovered that this is a problem with the Plex software itself. The best way to stop your TV from rebooting would be to uninstall Plex which allows this to work.

I hope this has been of assistance to you. However, if the information I have provided does not help you or if you have any further questions please email again or contact our Customer Service Team again on 0844 8475454 or via the Web Chat facility on our website and we will endeavour to do our best to resolve your query.

Please could I ask you to complete a short survey based on the response and information that I have provided you today. All feed back given is greatly appreciated and helps to improve LG Electronics Customer Services.

Best regards,
    Joshua

TV, Media & IT Product Support
    LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

LG Customer Services
    UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954
    Mon-Fri 8am to 8pm
    Sat 9am-6pm
    Sun 11am-5pm

So there you go, LG are saying its not us and Plex are saying the same thing.

Interesting, I just cancelled the appointment for tomorrow with LG repair, the tech I spoke to knew nothing about the problem, though I dont think thats too surprising.

In the end, its the users that lose. I guess we'll see who really cares or not.
  • xenonxenon Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    matblack72 wrote:

In my opinion, it is the fault of LG! Whatever problem there is, the TV should have mechanisms to avoid rebooting. It could just block traffic from DLNA, if it is sended in a flooding manner or something like this. Might be the first step towards hacks or viruses on tvs, when you can stop tvs from behaving normally ;)
    I hadn't pointed that out to LG, it might give them a little motivation
  • tinycgtinycg Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Having this exact same problem, very disappointing. I'd love to see this addressed if Plex can work with LG to figure out the problem. I understand we're a small contingent but Plex promotes the LG / Smartlink and its a shame that its now causing issues. Nobody is denying that there is an issue but the finger pointing doesn't help those of us effected.
  • dzendehdzendeh Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Just for the record: I'm having the same problem (TV: LG 47LM640S) with the latest version of PMS. A downgrade helped me for the time beeing.
  • themindthemind Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hi, i also Facing the issue...wuch version you have downgraded?? I did this yesterday and the result was the same!!! Rebooting my lg!! Tkx
    edited January 2013
    themind wrote:

Hi, i also Facing the issue...wuch version you have downgraded?? I did this yesterday and the result was the same!!! Rebooting my lg!! Tkx
    PMS Version 0.9.7.8.359
    I believe you need to delete the old PMS-Settings, first (on the Mac: the preferences file com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist and the Plex Media Server folder under Application Support; both in your user's Library-folder.)
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,317Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    We've been working with LG to investigate the resolve the issue.

We're hoping to have a hot-fix media server for you shortly which works around a bug in the TV.

Thanks for your patience!
    elan wrote:

We've been working with LG to investigate the resolve the issue.

We're hoping to have a hot-fix media server for you shortly which works around a bug in the TV.

Thanks for your patience!
    That's great news, thanks for the update.
  • themindthemind Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    tks, really great news!!! and tks Borstein!
    edited January 2013
    Excellent work elan, out of interest are LG indicating that they are going to patch the bug too?

Thanks

Matt