Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Resolved] Plex causing LG TVs to reboot

Comments

• GovnahGovnah Posts: 81Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    That is good news!!!! I am curious though, specifically what is the issue and is this related to Plex or LG? I suspect that the problem lies with LG.

Thanks
  • matblackmatblack Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2013
    My understanding (from what I have heard) is that its a problem with the way the LG TV handles XML

Plex are going to correct their side so it doesn't trigger the issue but now the exploit is known it would be theoretically possible for someone to write a program to drop the same information on to a network and any connected LG TVs would be put into a boot loop.

As has been previously stated the TV should be able to handle information without being placed in a boot loop and LG need to patch the problem because who knows what could trigger this next especially the TV does not need to be explicitly polling the server for the problem to be triggered!

I don't know what the tolerance of an LG set is for being turned on and off repeatedly but I bet it wouldn't do it much good!
    Any news on a patch for this problem? :)
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,317Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Try the version I just made live. I've gotten confirmation from one guy already that it fixed the issue: http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/
  • themindthemind Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    elan wrote:

Try the version I just made live. I've gotten confirmation from one guy already that it fixed the issue: http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/

hi elan, it seems that is running now!!! tks great support!!!:)
  • john.gordijn@gmail.comjohn.gordijn@gmail.com Posts: 94Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    themind wrote:

hi elan, it seems that is running now!!! tks great support!!!:)

Yep, cant reproduce the problem atm so all looks well! Will do further testing tomorrow.

O, and btw Elan. The thing i noticed with 1080 media ... was that correct?
    Brilliant work; tried it and no crashes yet.

Thanks to the dedicated Plex team for solving this when it's really LGs problem, I'm going to be upgrading my yearly for a lifetime subscription so you can have a few beers in me :)
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,317Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    BigJohnG wrote:

O, and btw Elan. The thing i noticed with 1080 media ... was that correct?

It was actually related to some XML related to embedded subtitles, so the 1080p was likely just a coincidence :)
  • dzendehdzendeh Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Works fine for me, thanks a lot :)
  • john.gordijn@gmail.comjohn.gordijn@gmail.com Posts: 94Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    elan wrote:

It was actually related to some XML related to embedded subtitles, so the 1080p was likely just a coincidence :)

:) Well many thanks anyway to you and the crew!!!
    I just heard from LG that they will be making a firmware update available as well to actually fix the crash.
    elan wrote:

I just heard from LG that they will be making a firmware update available as well to actually fix the crash.

Great news! Thanks again for all the effort you guys put into this!
  • dzendehdzendeh Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    elan wrote:

Way to go. Thanks a lot.
  • mcadoodle@gmail.commcadoodle@gmail.com Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass
    Update works for me - thanks so much!
  • Da_LukeDa_Luke Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Update works fine here! The technician who came over was about to replace almost everything in the TV... Which is about 2 months old ^^
  • grantchalmersgrantchalmers Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I have Plex version 0.9.9.4 and an LG 47LM960V and the reboot issue is still there, what is the status of this bug?
    kratos31 wrote:

I have Plex version 0.9.9.4 and an LG 47LM960V and the reboot issue is still there, what is the status of this bug?

That's the version of the manager, make sure you have the very latest version of the Plex Media Server itself and it should prevent the TV from rebooting.
  • kingydkingyd Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This problem was rather amusing for me.

Bought myself a new LG TV just before Christmas and 10 days later it stopped working completely and made a noise like it was about to blow. Upgraded to the next LG TV up and 10 days later it started to turn itself on and off constantly so assumed it was another duff LG TV. Wasn't until I read the Plex forums that I released what the problem was. Ended up taking the TV back and exchanging it for a Samsung TV.

Kinda glad it happened anyway much preferring the picture I am getting on this new Samsung TV, so thanks to LG and Plex for this problem.
    kingyd wrote:

Kinda glad it happened anyway much preferring the picture I am getting on this new Samsung TV, so thanks to LG and Plex for this problem.

You, sir, have a great attitude :)
  • wellibobwellibob Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Im getting this LG error reboot on my LG TV . I have the latest PMS installed.Is there a patch ,do i have to wipe, uninstall and re-install to fix ?   Many thanks

How do i check if i have the latest PMS

latest version of the Plex Media Server itself and it should prevent the TV from rebooting.