If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Edit or Delete a Collection

yoghovyoghov Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Hi guys,

I kept looking for a solution or an answer, but couldn't find anything.

1. How an item is removed form a collection?

2. How a collection title is renamed?

3. How a collection is deleted?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• yoghovyoghov Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Never mind, I believe all the above actions aren't implemented yet. Everything still can be done using the old media manager by option+opening it.
  • 0x49D10x49D1 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2013
    Wonder how can i do this on windows(from web interface i think)? Do i have an option to at least remove movie, that was added to the collection by mistake, from the collection?
    Never mind. Found the solution here: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_MediaManager#Collections
    Collection is removed automatically if it doesn't contain any movies.
  • vmattaurvmattaur Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2013

Yes - 0x49D1 but the process of removing the movie is at least 7 clicks:

Process:

1. Click collection list
    2. Click collection list title
    3. Click pencil to enter edit mode (movie profile)
    4. Click X to delete collection
    5. Click save
    6. Click back button to get back to collection list
    7. Click collection list to remove

I wouldn't much mind doing the following steps for 1 or 2 movies that were added by mistake however I rebuilt my Plex server on OS X and Plex created a collection list and about 30% are single movies . I have tried to go directly to the collection list and uncheck the box but that did not work or I'm not clever enough to figure out how to work it.

It would be nice if a simple delete collection list function was added :)

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,222Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Collections will be getting a makeover in the (hopefully near) future.

• morbidjmorbidj Posts: 14Members ✭✭

That will be awesome ericmatthys! 

• RobertSmithRobertSmith Posts: 420Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2013
    ericmatthys wrote on March 6 2013, 9:14 PM: »

Collections will be getting a makeover in the (hopefully near) future.

Great, I love collections like

Criterion Collection

James Bond

Best Picture (oscar winners)

Studio Ghibli, Pixar, Dreamwork's (I know i can use studio filter but...)

etc.

The only way to rename a collection is to create a new and delete all the titles, one by one from wrong collection, correct?

Mac mini (2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7) with Plex Media Server and Plex/Home Theater   Synology DS1512+ with SABnzbd  Sick Beard  CouchPotato

Receiver Marantz SR7007   3D Projector SONY HW55ES   Fixed Frame Screen ReAct 2.1   Speakers DLS of Sweden & Velodyne Ultra (white)

aTV2 with aTV Flash  iPhone 5  iPad mini with Plex/iOS  MacBook Pro  MacBook Air with Plex/Web

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,222Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    RobertSmith wrote on April 5 2013, 7:31 AM: »

Great, I love collections like

Criterion Collection

James Bond

Best Picture (oscar winners)

Studio Ghibli, Pixar, Dreamwork's (I now i can use studio filter but...)

etc.

The only way to rename a collection is to create a new and delete all the titles, one by one from wrong collection, correct?

Sadly, yes. Collections desperately need some love.

• mit3ymit3y Posts: 49Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass
    edited May 2013

+1

Where does this rank on the roadmap for PlexWeb.. the issues laid out in this thread are easily reproducible, and definitely need some attention.

That said, PlexWeb is very very slick.  It makes me want to learn ember.

-mm

mit3y wrote on May 23 2013, 12:59 AM: »

+1

Where does this rank on the roadmap for PlexWeb.. the issues laid out in this thread are easily reproducible, and definitely need some attention.

That said, PlexWeb is very very slick.  It makes me want to learn ember.

-mm

We don't discuss our roadmap openly for a few reasons (expectations, competition, etc).

Plex/Web actually uses Backbone, but Ember is a good place to start too. :)

• alias_rexalias_rex Posts: 531Members ✭✭
    Is there still no way to delete a Collection? This is why I miss the cocoa media manager :(
     Mac mini 1.83 GHz (OS X Server 10.6.8)  Panasonic 32" LCD  SONY HT-CT150 Home Theater System 
  • metropolismetropolis Posts: 8Members

+1 for the old Cocoa manager. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The Cocoa manager had all these functions that we want/need. Please bring it back! It was also much faster at managing large collections. I currently have over 2000 movies, managing with a web front can be very tedious. 

• alias_rexalias_rex Posts: 531Members ✭✭
    Mac Fiend wrote on November 11 2013, 6:36 PM: »

+1 for the old Cocoa manager. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The Cocoa manager had all these functions that we want/need. Please bring it back! It was also much faster at managing large collections. I currently have over 2000 movies, managing with a web front can be very tedious.

It ain't coming back. I kept a copy of the old PMS in ~/Applications. When I need to do a lot of library management, I quit the new PMS and use the Cocoa manager from the old one.
     Mac mini 1.83 GHz (OS X Server 10.6.8)  Panasonic 32" LCD  SONY HT-CT150 Home Theater System 
  • austinarchibaldaustinarchibald Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    vmattaur wrote on March 6 2013, 11:50 AM: »

Yes - 0x49D1 but the process of removing the movie is at least 7 clicks:

Process:

1. Click collection list
    2. Click collection list title
    3. Click pencil to enter edit mode (movie profile)
    4. Click X to delete collection
    5. Click save
    6. Click back button to get back to collection list
    7. Click collection list to remove

I wouldn't much mind doing the following steps for 1 or 2 movies that were added by mistake however I rebuilt my Plex server on OS X and Plex created a collection list and about 30% are single movies . I have tried to go directly to the collection list and uncheck the box but that did not work or I'm not clever enough to figure out how to work it.

It would be nice if a simple delete collection list function was added :)

So, this does work, but it doesn't truly "delete" a collection. It hides it.

For example, I made the mistake of not capitalizing the r in "rambo," and there is no way for me to change that. I deleted the rambo collection following these steps, and it fully disappears. But when I try to create a collection called "Rambo" and add movies to it, it stays as "rambo" in my collections list. It's actually quite annoying because it's the only of all of my collections that is not capitalized. I guess I could rename the collection to Rambo series or something like that, but it is not consistent with how I've named my other collections. I'll just have to deal with a little rambo. Which doesn't give the series justice; if any should be capitalized, it's Rambo!

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,181Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

You can fix that with a little SQLite magic.

UPDATE tags SET tag = "Rambo" WHERE tag = "rambo";

MovieFan, could you elaborate what I would need to do? I have a Mac. Do I need SQLite editor, or can I edit a text file somewhere? Or is there a terminal command? Whatever you think is easiest. Thank you.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,181Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I think SQLite is built in to OSX.  You would just use the terminal command.

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Plug-in\ Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.db "UPDATE tags SET tag = 'Rambo' WHERE tag = 'rambo';"

The ending is single quote semicolon double quote in case you cannot tell.

It is always recommended to quite Plex when messing with the database, but I find this modification to be pretty harmless and have not run into any problems doing this with Plex running.

That worked perfectly and so easily! Thank you very much!

• FellowsheepTechFellowsheepTech Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Exactly what I was looking for, except...
    Now I'm running the server on a Windows (8.2) machine. Any hints how to do the same there?

• astrofisherastrofisher Plex Dwarf Star Posts: 5,515Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Easy way to access the database on a Windows machine is via Firefox addon - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/

Jim

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    Rule #32 "Enjoy the little things"

@FellowsheepTech said:
    Exactly what I was looking for, except...
    Now I'm running the server on a Windows (8.2) machine. Any hints how to do the same there?

Install the sqlite command line shell for Windows from here. Unzip the exe into any folder. Open a command prompt window and CD to the folder where you put the sqlite3.exe files.

sqlite3 "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Databases\com.plexapp.plugins.library.db" "UPDATE tags SET tag = 'Rambo' WHERE tag = 'rambo';"