If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

From the Devs Reply Thread

Comments

• alexvdalexvd Posts: 82Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well the bugs thing is sort of a chicken before the egg.   If you were allowed to do a alpha or beta like normal software development process than some of us users could have done that bug finding and testing.   This would have been before you submitted.   How on earth can you find all the bugs on your own?

Its too bad Samsung doesnt allow it to be an alpha or beta.   Do they know that Plex has the plex pass now?  

• neckarosneckaros Posts: 255Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Quick question (could not find via search): will this version allow the TV to act as a remote player?
  • RockStarRockStar Posts: 2,053Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    You can connect to remote servers using this version, if thats what you are asking
    Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?
  • neckarosneckaros Posts: 255Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    No I mean that you can select a video on your phone and send it to Samsung Plex

Not in the upcoming version, no.

Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?
  • dane22dane22 Posts: 10,347Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

"We just submitted version 0.989 to Samsung."

Wow, and fingers crossed :)

If this makes it, I'll follow up on my promiss once more, and donate....

What you guys are doing, is simply put OUTSTANDING

Best Regards

Tommy

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

+1  I cant wait to test if the amazon instant video channel will work!!

• SebEdSebEd Posts: 2Members

Totally agree with dane22. With this update it is time to donate. This app and of course the work behind is gorgeous!!!

Fingers crossed!
  • KanashiiKanashii Posts: 86Members ✭✭

:ph34r:  waiting...

• floconsflocons Posts: 66Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just picked up a UN55F8000 - I can't wait to get it set up and have the new Plex installed!

• SwoodleSwoodle Posts: 86Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    alexvd wrote on March 12 2013, 10:03 PM: »

Well the bugs thing is sort of a chicken before the egg.   If you were allowed to do a alpha or beta like normal software development process than some of us users could have done that bug finding and testing.   This would have been before you submitted.   How on earth can you find all the bugs on your own?

Its too bad Samsung doesnt allow it to be an alpha or beta.   Do they know that Plex has the plex pass now?  

But what good would that be? It's not like Samsung are charging to test the app or anything like that. Why would it be better to have users find bugs rather than Samsung? 

Good luck on the latest submit guys. 

@ Swoods.

It would be better because than most if not all bugs users would find before it gets submitted.  Thus not requiring Samsung to spend additional  time testing and documenting all the bugs.   If it passed on the first try than it wouldnt have to be resubmitted again.

Seems to make more sense to me.

• itzmeitzme Posts: 452Members ✭✭

Can I ask what the note below means?

[UPDATED] - Improved Direct play detection. Will fall back to transcoding if unsupported codecs are detected.

I thought transcoding had to be set to "on" to do anything.   Any chance this could relate to the incompatable compression header issue, or am I way off here. 

alexvd wrote on March 22 2013, 2:28 AM: »

@ Swoods.

It would be better because than most if not all bugs users would find before it gets submitted.  Thus not requiring Samsung to spend additional  time testing and documenting all the bugs.   If it passed on the first try than it wouldnt have to be resubmitted again.

But what you're missing is the fact that it's their jobs. They are getting paid to spend the time testing and documenting all the bugs. Their turn around from submission to defect list is fairly fast. Giving it to the community to test, we would still miss things that the Samsung employees are paid to find and ensure that it would require to be resubmitted anyway. 

It's like you have 2 choices,

1 - Give a beta to community (If samsung allowed which they don't, but for the sake of this lets say they did) to test and report bugs. The community has more users, that about the only advantage to doing it this way. They are untrained in what to look for and unaware of Samsung's guidelines as to what is required to promote an app to the Samsung App store. Also the defects raised would be a bit of a cluster headache from the community as bugs could and would most likely be raised in duplicates and some most likely wouldn't contain the correct information needed for the devs to look into. 

2 - Use and abuse Samsung to test and find defects. Hand it over to people trained that deal with Samsung applications on a daily basis as that's their job. It doesn't cost anything and over a space of a week I'm sure they would find everything stopping the application from being held back from the app store.

If you look at it like that, it's not really a hard choice IMHO.  

Cheers

Swoods. 

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,381Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    alexvd wrote on March 22 2013, 2:28 AM: »

@ Swoods.

Swoods is right.

Most users do not have 80+ devices ranging from 2010 to 2013 and in 160 different country settings to test with. I think you can see why we use Samsung for this.

They are also the only ones that can test run apps before the devices are on the market (like 2013) and help us with technical support on how to fix things.

It all seems very obvious if you only see the small picture, but it's a bit bigger then you might think :)

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,381Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    itzme wrote on March 22 2013, 3:12 AM: »

Can I ask what the note below means?

I thought transcoding had to be set to "on" to do anything.   Any chance this could relate to the incompatable compression header issue, or am I way off here. 

The current version only has "Force Local Transcoding" as an option, but the new version has to work with online and remote content too.

To make it as easy as possible we do a check before we start playing, if the content can be played directly (without transcoding) or we need some help from the PMS.

Since we needed this anyway, I extended it to local content aswell. So if you start a movie with "unsupported" codecs or containers and you have a transcode capable PMS, it will start a transcode automatically.

That seems better then showing you we can't play it, and you have to go in manually to set transcoding to on.

During playback you can bring up the info bar with the [INFO] button and it shows if it is trancoding or direct playing.

The local force trancoding setting will still force to always transcode if it is on, but only for local content.

That's the reason why local and remote have a different quality setting. If the content you are playing is local, the local setting will be used, if not we use the remote quality.

BTW if you have a PMS that is not able to transcode like an ARM NAS, you will get a message that we can't play the content.

To see if your PMS supports transcoding you can enter http://[your PMS ip]:32400  in a browser.

The text should contains the tags transcoderVideo="1"  and transcoderAudio= "1". if it says "0" you don't have transcoding capability.

As to the compressed headers, the PMS team is looking into it to see if they can add an indication when the headers are compressed.

If we can detect it, we can add it to the transcoding profile so it will auto transcode if the header indicator is present.

So can't make any promises yet, but we are looking into it.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• itzmeitzme Posts: 452Members ✭✭
    Orca, thank you. That makes good sense.
  • Asura31Asura31 Posts: 3Members
    Hello!

I need to help.
    I have a Samsung c650 smart TV and an Asus RT-N65U router with 500 GB mass store device.
    The TV media players can see the winchester on DNLA, it works perfect.
    I installed Plex apps to  my samsung smart TV, and I installed this application to my PC.
    The TV can see my pc (PMS) and lead throught the routers share when the pc is on.
    The Samsung PLEX apps can't see directly the router mass store device. 
    What can I do? Is it possible?

Best Regards

PS: Sorry for my bad English