If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] USTVnow Plugin

jwdempseyjwdempsey Posts: 462Members ✭✭
edited July 2014 in Plex Channel Plugins

I am releasing a beta version of a USTVnow plugin. You will need to provide your username/password before you can play any streams.

Download from Github
https://github.com/jwdempsey/USTVnow.bundle

Updates

07/14/2014

I will no longer be maintaining this plugin going forward. It still functions correctly however free accounts will stop working after 45 days. You will either need to sign up for a new free account or use a paid account.

Comments

• toddqtoddq Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Sweet! I started working on doing this a month ago, but gave up after failing to wrap my head around the Services framework. I'm excited to take a look at yours.
  • jwdempseyjwdempsey Posts: 462Members ✭✭
    toddq wrote:

Sweet! I started working on doing this a month ago, but gave up after failing to wrap my head around the Services framework. I'm excited to take a look at yours.

So far it seems to be a little buggy, it tends to buffer quite a bit. Let me know how it works for you.
  • scottyincrscottyincr Posts: 1Members
    Advice from a USTVNow paid subscriber for longer than I care to admit:

Don't waste your time on the buffering issue, just live with it or abandon USTVNow. The problem is almost certainly due to USTVNow's service and has nothing to do with you plugin.
    Their streaming problems are legendary and their customer service is THE worst I have ever dealt with.

Good Luck,

Dave, an extremely dissatisfied USTVNow (ex) customer
    scottyincr wrote:

Advice from a USTVNow paid subscriber for longer than I care to admit:

Don't waste your time on the buffering issue, just live with it or abandon USTVNow. The problem is almost certainly due to USTVNow's service and has nothing to do with you plugin.
    Their streaming problems are legendary and their customer service is THE worst I have ever dealt with.

Good Luck,

Dave, an extremely dissatisfied USTVNow (ex) customer

That's good to know! I still feel like it buffers more then the XBMC version does. I can't go 30 seconds without it buffering 2 or 3 times.
  • Schmye BubbulaSchmye Bubbula Posts: 435Members ✭✭
    edited February 2013
    After I enter my Username & Password in Preferences, when I enter Live, my Roku Plex client always immediately gives me the "Content Unavailable" error, and my Mac Plex client 0.9.3.4 just sits there and does nothing.

- -
    Plex Media Server 0.9.16.6
    Plex Classic 3.1.9 channel on Roku 3 (4200)

(formerly first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X) )

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

(updated from PMS 0.9.5.3 & Mac OS X 10.5.8 on Mar 17, 2014)

Firefox 48.0.2

17" MacBook Pro (5,2) "Mid 2009" — 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

After I enter my Username & Password in Preferences, when I enter Live, my Roku Plex client always immediately gives me the "Content Unavailable" error, and my Mac Plex client 0.9.3.4 just sits there and does nothing.

After you enter your username and password you will have to exit the app and go back in. I will address this issue with the next update. I have not tested this on the Roku mainly because there is already a stand alone USTVnow app.
    edited February 2013
    – Yeah, I'm way ahead of you — long ago I discovered the hard way that many Plex channels need to be backed-out of and re-entered to make settings effective, and moreover, I often have to exit the Plex client itself and re-enter, as well as sometimes quit & relaunch Plex Media Server. I had done all of those, and still got the same nil result.

– USTVnow recently went for-pay to use their stand-alone Roku channel, and free viewing is only available directly from their website with a web browser. Is your Plex channel supposed to emulate a web browser (like the Plex non-Plus Hulu channel), so we can view for free?

– Even though you haven't tried the Roku Plex client, my error message would seem to correspond to the absence of anything happening when I pull the "Live" trigger in my Macintosh Plex client, so whatever's wrong appears to be shared by both.

- -

Firefox 48.0.2

• plexus-1plexus-1 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I've been hoping someone would make a channel for USTVnow, awesome.
    Suggestion for the future, include a configuration box for proxies.

– Yeah, I'm way ahead of you — long ago I discovered the hard way that many Plex channels need to be backed-out of and re-entered to make settings effective, and moreover, I often have to exit the Plex client itself and re-enter, as well as sometimes quit & relaunch Plex Media Server. I had done all of those, and still got the same nil result.

– USTVnow recently went for-pay to use their stand-alone Roku channel, and free viewing is only available directly from their website with a web browser. Is your Plex channel supposed to emulate a web browser (like the Plex non-Plus Hulu channel), so we can view for free?

– Even though you haven't tried the Roku Plex client, my error message would seem to correspond to the absence of anything happening when I pull the "Live" trigger in my Macintosh Plex client, so whatever's wrong appears to be shared by both.

When did they go make you start paying for the Roku channel? I just tried it this afternoon and it worked fine. I am actually grabbing the RTMP stream so I do not need to emulate a web browser. If you have some time to send me your error logs I would be glad to look them over and see whats going on.
    plexus-1 wrote:

I've been hoping someone would make a channel for USTVnow, awesome.
    Suggestion for the future, include a configuration box for proxies.

I am not sure I follow. Isn't that something done outside the realm of Plex?
    – The changeover to for-pay USTVnow on all but their webpage occurred sometime last fall.
    – You aren't charged for the Roku USTVnow channel itself; rather, you have to sign-up with USTVnow and pay them to be able to view anything on the Roku channel. Otherwise you get an error message.
    – I don't know what RTMP is, but do you have a paying account with USTVnow? If not, then that essentially answers my question in the affirmative (yay!), even if you're not strictly emulating a web browser.
    – Please find attached two logs: my PMS log, and my Roku log, both reflecting a fresh session just to try running your "Live" function, getting the "Content Unavailable" error, then exiting my Roku Plex client & quitting PMS.

- -

Firefox 48.0.2

edited February 2013

– The changeover to for-pay USTVnow on all but their webpage occurred sometime last fall.
    – You aren't charged for the Roku USTVnow channel itself; rather, you have to sign-up with USTVnow and pay them to be able to view anything on the Roku channel. Otherwise you get an error message.
    – I don't know what RTMP is, but do you have a paying account with USTVnow? If not, then that essentially answers my question in the affirmative (yay!), even if you're not strictly emulating a web browser.
    – Please find attached two logs: my PMS log, and my Roku log, both reflecting a fresh session just to try running your "Live" function, getting the "Content Unavailable" error, then exiting my Roku Plex client & quitting PMS.

No, I do not have a paying account with USTVnow. Could you send me your USTVnow plugin log as well?
    This log reflects the same session in isolation as the other two logs, except for my also relaunching PMS again after quitting it following my exercise — I didn't re-enter my Plex client or do anything else but just launch PMS, but if that messed anything up, I'll be happy to repeat the exercise again.

- -

Firefox 48.0.2

This log reflects the same session in isolation as the other two logs, except for my also relaunching PMS again after quitting it following my exercise — I didn't re-enter my Plex client or do anything else but just launch PMS, but if that messed anything up, I'll be happy to repeat the exercise again.

Just updated the app in Github. Let me know if that addresses your issues.
    Still get the "Content Unavailable" error.

- -

Firefox 48.0.2

Still get the "Content Unavailable" error.

It says your login failed. I would try entering your credentials again.
    OK, entering my credentials again got me in. But now every USTVnow channel I try to play gives me the "Video Unavailable" error.

- -

Firefox 48.0.2

^ Not much error trapping in the Roku Plex client yet — I should add that my Mac Plex client gives me the error message, "Could not determine input format," when I try to play any of the USTVnow channels. Hope that's a good lead.

- -

Firefox 48.0.2

^ Not much error trapping in the Roku Plex client yet — I should add that my Mac Plex client gives me the error message, "Could not determine input format," when I try to play any of the USTVnow channels. Hope that's a good lead.

That is something I can work with. Thank you.
    edited February 2013
    jwdempsey, I don't believe you have a complete set of my logs for this exercise since I was able to actually successfully get into your channel after re-entering my USTVnow login credentials. These three logs reflect an isolated, dedicated session of three tries in the Roku Plex client attempting to play USTVnow channels, each time getting the "Video Unavailable" error. (Which would correspond to the Mac Plex client giving the error message, "Could not determine input format.")

- -

Firefox 48.0.2