Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Kepler Wish List

KileyKiley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 112 Plex Pass
edited March 2013 in Android (mobile)
Anything you would like to see added ASAP! :)

Update! - Since this poll has become bigger than we expected, and it's getting a little hard to keep track of everything, we have decided to try something new as a community! Our good friend id628 has started a Uservoice account for us which will make it easier for the public to add their own ideas and expand on them. Please DO NOT post any new ideas in this forum. Instead add them here: 

http://kepleradvocate.uservoice.com/forums/196188-general

Thanks again to id628!

*Note: Not all ideas have been transferred over yet. Please click on the link and enter it via the "enter your idea" bar at the top of the page. If no similar idea appears, feel free to create a new one! 

~ Cheers! :D

I have seen a bunch of people commenting on random threads about wish list items they want added to the new Plex app so I thought I would create a new thread to list some I have seen, and would also very much like to see added in general and things for specific devices. Feel free to add in your two cents and I will add it to the list.

General (Across the Board for Android (Phone/Tablet) & GTV, ect.):

1) List Based Layout - Something that mimics the Plex Home Theater layout or the AppleTV layout would be perfect for searching through large movie collections.

2) Alphabetic Navigation Bar - For easier navigation of large libraries.

3) Render video subtitles over a video streaming with direct play.

4) Home-screen Music Player Widget

5) Music Section - Ability to sort by folder.

6) Show newly added TV episodes under "Recently Added" header instead of whole season

7) Option to manually add PMS Servers

8) Added support for WMV-Files via new Transcoder - Currently just goes to a blank screen and nothing happens.

9) More settings for Automatic Background Syncing - Cell/wifi, particular wifi networks (sync when I'm at home but not when I'm on work wifi), Power, Time ranges and intervals, ect.

10) Music Section - Ability to create a playlist under the music section

11) "Keep Awake" option to keep the device awake while using Plex for people whose WiFi/Data turns off when screen turns off.

12) "Sync" Icon in the bottom Navigation Bar instead buried in the menu & Sync Progress animation for the Sync Icon so we can see ongoing sync without the need to open the modal dialog.

13) Rich Sync Progress Notification for 4.0 and newer devices with progress bar, estimated time until end of Sync, etc.

14) Online/Offline switch in the top action bar without the need of accessing Menu.

15) Remote Widget similar to YATSE for XBMC that turns your launcher/homescreen (4.2+) into remote for a Plex device (PC/TV/GTV)

16) The ability to set not one, but several storage locations in a priority list. When one Storage location is full and can't take synced content, fallback to the next one.

17) The ability to time-shift subtitles. Currently we lack this in all Plex clients, including desktop. If your subtitle is out of sync, you can't do anything about it in Plex, at all.

18) "On Deck" widget that shows the poster of the last watched video (if not complete), or the next episode of the last watched TV show. For one-touch watching experience right from the launcher.

19) Option to stream content without transcoding when on WiFi

20) Larger gap between pause button & track seek (i.e. more pixels)(my fudgey fingers on tablet means that instead of unpausing, I advance to somewhere in the movie)

21) Don't return to the top of a list when exiting content (e.g. if I watch movie Jaws or even look at the metadata, when I exit back to the list it takes me to the top so I have to scroll down to J again)

22) Show date / time on pause screen (currently you have to back to main menu to see the time)

23) DLNA "send to" functionality built into the Plex app. So if you pulled up a video in the Android youtube app, under the share menu there would be a Plex button that would send the video directly to Plex Home Theater. Then, the Plex app would launch and a remote would be available to control playback.

Google TV Specific:

1) Remote Control Support - Fast-Forward/Rewind/Skip forward & backward Support (Ideally have left right arrow keys skip forward/Backward 30 seconds and fast-forward/rewind buttons at base of track pad incite fast forward and rewind up to 4X)

2) DTS Pass-Through to Surround Sound Systems - (When DTS is enabled it kicks out this error: "Sorry this video can not be played" in all movie formats I have tried so far. {Using GTV and Logitec Z906 surround sound systems})

3) Make Section Headers Selectable - (Recently added, On Deck, My Library, ect.) This would allow easier navigation with remote buttons. This way when you select the section headers you can easily go left or right between them.

4)Respond to keyboard for moving through lists (e.g. type R and the list starts at R)

5) Alternatives / option for screen layout as different layouts look better on large screen. Have ability to switch between poster & list depending on what you are browsing (TV series or episodes)

6) Easier way to get out of the "Filter" pop-up menu when within a Library Section - Currently have to go like all the way over to the other side of the page to get it to close.

Clients:

• Sony Google TV (NSZ-GS7)
  • iPad 2
  • HTC One M8

Plex Media Server Version: 0.9.9.12 (As of 7/26/2014)

Server Run on Windows 7

Comments

• AldriAldri Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    - Render video subtitles over a video streaming with direct play
    - An homescreen music player widget
  • phat78boyphat78boy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 49 Plex Pass
    I'd love the ability to play files that are on my device locally. That way I can not only view the home video I just took, but I can also share it with the built in server. Would also be great for music I don't have on my server, but I do on my device.
  • KileyKiley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 112 Plex Pass
    phat78boy wrote:

I'd love the ability to play files that are on my device locally. That way I can not only view the home video I just took, but I can also share it with the built in server. Would also be great for music I don't have on my server, but I do on my device.

Not sure what your devices you have, but if you have an iDevice you can buy the app called "airtight" from the play store and it will give you airplay functionality to play music, videos, photos, ect from your device. I am sure there is an android version of this somewhere too if you look hard enough.

They do have the new feature that you can make your device a pms server, not sure if that includes videos and pics you have taken or just stuff you have synced to the devise from your computer. You might want to check that out too.

Clients:

• iPad 2
    • HTC One M8

Server Run on Windows 7

• Chip "Mini" MoonChip "Mini" Moon Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 384 Plex Ninja

Okay so I have seen a bunch of people commenting on random threads about wish list items they want added to the new plex app so I thought I would create a new thread to list some I have seen, and would also very much like to see added mainly for set top boxes like Sony's Google TV. Feel free to add in your two cents and I will add it to the list.

1) Remote Support on Google TV - It is very incontinent that you can't fast forward/rewind/skip ahead or back via the Google TV Remote.

2) List Based Layout - Something that mimics the Plex Home Theater layout or the AppleTV layout would be perfect for searching through large movie collections.

3) Alphabetic Navigation Bar - For easier navigation of large libraries.

4) DTS Pass-Through to Surround Sound Systems

5) Possibly a stand alone app for devices like the GTV-GS7 if some of the listed options are not possible to incorporate in for mass platform compatibility.

6) Render video subtitles over a video streaming with direct play.

7) Home-screen Music Player Widget

Side Note: Version 2.9.19 of Kepler still does not show up in the Play Store on the GTV and says it is incompatible with GTV on web play store.

I think it would be great to have this as well, but I think it will be important to distinguish wish lists between client types. GTV vs. Android (phone/tablet) vs Android Sticks/Players

Its always better to have something down on paper then in your head
    -miniMoon

Media Server
    OS - OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4
    Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD
    ASUS - P8Z68-V LX
    Intel i7 2600 3.4 Ghz - Sandy Bridge Overclocked to 4.3 Ghz
    GT-430 2GB DDR3
    3x - 2TB WD Caviar Black SATA HDD (ZFS Filesystem)
    16GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3

Clients
    5 - Roku 2 XS
    3 - Blackberry Playbook
    1 - PS3 / Xbox360
    1 - iPad Mini
    2 - iPad
    4 - iPhone 4S
    1 - MK802 II
    1 - Vizio Co-Star

I think it would be great to have this as well, but I think it will be important to distinguish wish lists between client types. GTV vs. Android (phone/tablet) vs Android Sticks/Players

Its always better to have something down on paper then in your head

I agree, which is why I started this thread. I have personally tried a variety of clients and done quit a bit of research and found that the GTV is currently the best client because it incorporates your set top box that you use for TV (dish, direct tv, ect) right into the system. It also is the only box (to my knowledge) that has the capability to pass-through DTS audio which to me is a must have. With that said I was hoping that they would develop a stand alone app for the GTV, like they had before, so it could take advantage of the numerous amount of benefits the GTV has to offer as well as making it as easy to navigate as possible.

I will edit my previous post to reflect wish list for different clients.

Clients:

• iPad 2
    • HTC One M8

Server Run on Windows 7

• ritalinritalin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 32 Plex Pass
    1. In the music section, PLEASE GOD!!!, give me back the ability to sort by folder. As much as I love the media scanner in Plex, I have yet to come across one in any software package that does not make a mess out of my music library.
    I have kept my music in genre organized folders for some time because of this and refuse to use music applications that do not allow me to view by folder.

The next suggestions are for non-touchscreen devices, such as the GTV or Android HDMI Sticks

2. The new UI is much more friendly in terms of a 10ft interface, though there are a few areas or ideas that could be implemented. The larger problem that I see, is that there are some quirks for controlling the app by keyboard or remote, due to a focus on touch. The main interface is one such area, scrolling side to side is great on a touch screen, but feels slightly less controllable through directional keys. I often feel like I am going from scrolling too slow, too scrolling way to fast, with no middle ground. I think the fix for this is pretty simple. Make the section header (Recently added, On Deck, My Library...) for each section a selectable item, by pressing up once, then left or right. This would allow us to scroll each section quickly and with more control.

3. In the screens where All Movies is displayed and the sort menu pops out of the side, there should be no reason to have to scroll all the way to the right most video to get the filters pop-out to close. It should close after clicking the right direction key once, and not the 9 clicks it takes right now.

Ill report back with more later.
    edited February 2013
    ritalin wrote:

3. In the screens where All Movies is displayed and the sort menu pops out of the side, there should be no reason to have to scroll all the way to the right most video to get the filters pop-out to close. It should close after clicking the right direction key once, and not the 9 clicks it takes right now.

I added your other two ideas, but not sure if I understand number three completely. Can you elaborate a little more on the issue and how to recreate it? Are you under the My Library>Movies(What ever your main movie collection list is called)?
    Thanks! :)

Clients:

• iPad 2
    • HTC One M8

Server Run on Windows 7

• raphirmraphirm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass
    i would like to have the "episode" tag to sort for newest added. now if you sort newest added it is based on series not on episodes (same as plex web was and now you can select episodes)
  • phat78boyphat78boy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 49 Plex Pass
    edited February 2013

Not sure what your devices you have, but if you have an iDevice you can buy the app called "airtight" from the play store and it will give you airplay functionality to play music, videos, photos, ect from your device. I am sure there is an android version of this somewhere too if you look hard enough.

They do have the new feature that you can make your device a pms server, not sure if that includes videos and pics you have taken or just stuff you have synced to the devise from your computer. You might want to check that out too.

I'm running mostly android. With the new pms server function, I would love to be able to see file on my local device and share them.
  • TJNetworkingTJNetworking Members, Plex Pass Posts: 65 Plex Pass
    I would like to see the ability to create a playlist under the music section. not sure why this was not added when the app was built from the ground up don't get me wrong I love the new plex app and the dev team is amazing I could never do what they do. I just think this would be a good and basic feature.
  • apoapostolovapoapostolov Members, Plex Pass Posts: 68 Plex Pass
    * "Keep Awake" option to keep the device awake while using Plex for people who get WiFi/Data turned off when screen goes off and interrupts sync.

* Sync Icon in the bottom Navigation Bar instead burried in a Menu. Sync Progress animation for the Sync Icon so we can see ongoing sync without the need to open the modal dialog.

* Rich Sync Progress Notification for 4.0 and newer devices with progress bar, estimated time until end of Sync, etc.

* Online/Offline switch in the top action bar without the need of accessing Menu.

* Remote Widget similar to YATSE for XBMC that turns your launcher/homescreen (4.2+) into remote for a Plex device (PC/TV/GTV)
    * The ability to set not one, but several storage locations in a priority list. When one Storage location is full and can't take synced content, fallback to the next one.
    * The ability to timeshift subtitles. Currently we lack this in all Plex clients, including desktop. If your subtitle is out of sync, you can't do anything about it in Plex, at all.
    * "On Deck" widget that shows the poster of the last watched video (if not complete), or the next episode of the last watched TV show. For one-touch watching experience right from the launcher.
    Added suggestions to list up to this post. :)

Clients:

• iPad 2
    • HTC One M8

Server Run on Windows 7

• flosoftflosoft Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass
    I would love to see an option for it to stream the films without transcoding when on WiFi.

My phone can decode x.264 720p and 1080p without any issues. It's a bit annoying to have the server constantly transcode videos in a lower quality than needed.
    +1 for flosoft's suggestion. All top-tier Samsung phones have full codec support, and Samsung is by far THE Android phone in market share.
  • robertormpcrobertormpc Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass
    Please add the hability of being able to control other plex softwares like the old app. So from this new app i can chose what to play and where, giving me the full remote control over the plex renders from this app.
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,357 Plex Employee

Added suggestions to list up to this post. :)

Thanks so much for maintaining the list, that's super helpful to have. We may need to hire another 20 or so engineers to work on the list :)

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• ritalinritalin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 32 Plex Pass

I added your other two ideas, but not sure if I understand number three completely. Can you elaborate a little more on the issue and how to recreate it? Are you under the My Library>Movies(What ever your main movie collection list is called)?
    Thanks! :)

Sure...

Yes, lets say I am in the All Movies section, and I have the left most file selected. If I press over to the left one more time, I get the pop-out for filters and sorting. Now once that pop-out is visible, I need to press right on my direction keys 9 times in order for it to go away. This is not intuitive or good UX design. The pop-out should go away by pressing to the right only once.