If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

how do i use recommendations

liiightliiight Posts: 449Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I feel like an idiot, but I've looked and looked (in both the plex/web, android app and wiki) and I just do not see how I recommend content to friends. The only way I saw to recommend is by using the ios app. Is that true, or am I an idiot?

And if so, please be gentle...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tonelocotoneloco Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In Plex/Web, go to your queue and select a video you'd like to recommend. Underneath the playing video is a link to recommend. This is the only place that I know of.

• nhagyavinhagyavi Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2013
    toneloco wrote on March 6 2013, 3:42 PM: »

In Plex/Web, go to your queue and select a video you'd like to recommend. Underneath the playing video is a link to recommend. This is the only place that I know of.

I have done what you said and I can't see any recommendation link.

• mikedm139mikedm139 Plugin Developer Posts: 3,022Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

For a lot of "Queued" videos, the Web client redirects to the source web site to play the video. That prevents the "Recommend" link from becoming visible. I suspect that a future update of the Web client will make it easier to recommend that sort of video.

Previously, I've used the iOS Plex app to make recommendations. Just press & hold on the video of choice and "Recommend" is in the list of options that pops up.

If you are having trouble with one or more channels, check here first.
    If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************
    Check out unofficial channels in the
    UnSupported AppStore
    Follow my efforts on Github and Twitter
    Donate

• liiightliiight Posts: 449Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well, at least that confirms what I thought, this feature is visible only from the iOS app. 

mikedm139 wrote on July 2 2013, 9:15 PM: »

For a lot of "Queued" videos, the Web client redirects to the source web site to play the video. That prevents the "Recommend" link from becoming visible. I suspect that a future update of the Web client will make it easier to recommend that sort of video.

Previously, I've used the iOS Plex app to make recommendations. Just press & hold on the video of choice and "Recommend" is in the list of options that pops up.

I really hope that this feature will be available for all systems in the next update for all clients, including Plex/Web.

• chrisroverschrisrovers Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This feature needs to be sent Android's way.
  • Tee EsquireTee Esquire Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I totally agree, Android is way better... Not trying to be a fire starter....

chrisrovers wrote on July 7 2013, 1:57 AM: »

Tee Esquire wrote on July 8 2013, 8:06 AM: »

I have to agree! A friend of mine have an iPhone and I tested Plex on her phone and I just wanted to switch over to my phone with Android!

• tackyoutackyou Posts: 4Members Plex Pass

3 years later, recommended feature still unusable. Plex is weird. So many simple things that never get fixed or optimized.

• aguazalesaguazales Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Definitely. If we can't share full playlists with them, we should at LEAST be able to recommend individual movies to people to have access to my server...

• moloch2689moloch2689 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm sorry to say, but this is the dumbest way to recommend something.

For starters, I should just be able to click on the ... of the movie, show or episode, then I should see a recommend button. I don't need to have seen or put in a special queue, that's f#$ked up ??

I've been trying to recommend shows and movies to my wife for ever, but this is the most, non-logical and backwards way to do it.

For example, I barely use plex myself, but my wife use's it plenty on the tablet. I prefer my WDLive to view stuff on the tv, so therefore, I might view something on the tv that's not view my plex account, but because of that, I can't recommend that viewing to my Plex friends such as my wife's account.

I'm sorry, if this turns up rude, I'm just frustrated of not being able to use what should be a straight forward feature that for some reason, you need to navigate through dark back alley to not find what you want .

• ALIEN51ALIEN51 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

When you see something like this omitted it must be hard to implement? I've tried looking on android/IOS/PC and still cannot find the elusive "recommend" button. Yet so many people ask for it. I find this very disappointing indeed. Do the devs come to this part of town or is it forbidden?

"in time"
    My basic system.
    ASUS: RS300-E6/PS4
    Build: FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1)
    Platform: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3430 @ 2.40GHz
    Memory: 16345MB
    2TB x 4

• jakemiguel7@mail.comjakemiguel7@mail.com Posts: 21Members ✭✭

@nhagyavi said:
    Tee Esquire wrote on July 8 2013, 8:06 AM: »

I have to agree! A friend of mine have an iPhone and I tested Plex on her phone and I just wanted to switch over to my phone with Android!

I have both, an android phone and an iPhone and yeah I have to agree with Tee Esquire & chrisrovers! Plex functions better on android.

• romwilromwil Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agreed... I'm a long time heavy Plex user - servers and clients across multiple OSs and the lack of Recommend functionality across all platforms is silly.

Come on guys, this is a LONG time request for functionality.

I have a lifetime plex pass - please don't let my pass expire before this feature is added. :)

• PaintyPainty Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

have to agree I too would like this functionality. A simple right click and recommend on any file would be great_

• tomcjr25tomcjr25 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

We need to tie a better recommend feature to Plex earning more money in order to justify the resource investment to do the work. Perhaps a quick ad spot for each recommendation or something. I know why I want the feature, but I don't see why it would help Plex to add it since you don't really grasp the benefit of the feature until you actually have the Plex Pass.

Any other ideas?

• engessaengessa Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is my most wanted feature for now. I got several friends who have access to my library but i can't recommend a movie through Plex for them.

The functionality is there but it only works for items on 'watch later' and i don't understand why.

• PHoSawyerPHoSawyer Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ha, thought I must've been doing something wrong, its surely an obvious thing for the Recommend feature to be able to Recommend stuff......but to only have it on the watch later queue thats a bit stupid.

• JDShkolnikJDShkolnik Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@PHoSawyer said:
    Ha, thought I must've been doing something wrong, its surely an obvious thing for the Recommend feature to be able to Recommend stuff......but to only have it on the watch later queue thats a bit stupid.

I agree. Why would we only be able to recommend something we're still planning to watch?