If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

What's needed clarification

jwrayjwray Posts: 1,268Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Hi,

I was wanting to write a plugin for http://freecaster.tv/ and I've been looking at the source for various existing plugins but I'm still not clear on the need for a site configuration file. Reading the wiki suggests one is needed for all flash based sites (which freecaster is) but I can't find one under the plugins for hulu or mtv which are both flash based (I think).

So, just some clarification of what's actually needed before I dive in.

thanks
Jonny

Comments

• jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,303Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Site configurations are contained in a separate bundle (to allow us to separate the player logic from the plug-ins themselves). Look inside SiteConfigurations.bundle for some examples (the Hulu one is encrypted, but all the others are plain text). You can put your own in "~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Site Configurations" while you're developing :)
  • rniornio Posts: 162Members
    Hi Jonny,

great to hear more folks coming to the plug-in dev world.

I just did my first FLASH plugin ... once you get a feel for what a siteconfig really does ... its very simple.

Take a look at the one I did ... I tried to put in some comments: RTL-Now

The way I understand it ... the PMS get fed a few "states" through a siteconfig file.

The result is that PMS will understand your FLASH window ... it will know when a video is playing ... when one is paused ... when one is ended.

With the correct siteconfig ... it will also know how to SEEK (FF etc.)

That's it ... there is no real LOGIC inside the XML ... just a few DEF of how to "know" what state the FLASH window is in.

So first you have to define HOW BIG the FLASH windows is ... then you define where to look for certain characteristics (e.g. colors) to define each state (e.g. the START / STOP button will have different colored pixel depending of its state) ... you define the seek bar etc. etc. ... the WIKI is not too bad ... once you understand the basic workings of a siteconfig file.

Good luck & happy coding.

Robert
  • jwrayjwray Posts: 1,268Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a go over the weekend.