Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

What is the default SSH user & password?

saltedlollysaltedlolly Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What is the default user and password for SSH when connecting to the RasPlex?

 

Also, should we disable the password - I tried that but still can't connect:

 

 

rasplex Version: 0.1.17
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

Best Answer

  • slewis1310slewis1310 Posts: 137Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

    SSH is enabled by default, username 'root' and password 'rasplex' 

Answers

  • GrodeshGrodesh Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    username: plexuser

    password: rasplex

    If that doesn't work, it might be Openelec's default login. In that case, from memory it's:

    username: root

    password: openelec

  • dale.hameldale.hamel Plex Ninja Posts: 369Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    saltedlolly wrote on March 13 2013, 11:50 AM: »

    What is the default user and password for SSH when connecting to the RasPlex?

    Also, should we disable the password - I tried that but still can't connect:

    rasplex Version: 0.1.17
    Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

    I don't know that disabling the password is a good idea.

    We'll document this better on the wiki (which is launching officially tonight)

  • akirasan01akirasan01 Posts: 1Members

    I can login with:

    username: root

    password: admin

  • stokestackstokestack Posts: 8Members

    The README says:

    "Starting with OpenELEC 2.0, SSH is disabled by default but all that is needed is an empty “ssh_enable” file to exist in /storage/.config to enable it."

  • slewis1310slewis1310 Posts: 137Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

    SSH is enabled by default, username 'root' and password 'rasplex' 

  • arahelarahel Posts: 1Members
    edited March 2014

    This does not work anymore.

    EDIT: ssh-keygen -R [IP_ADDRESS] fixed everything.

  • dlanordlanor Posts: 2,215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2014
    arahel wrote on March 2 2014, 11:45 AM: »

    This does not work anymore.

    I have to disagree.

    I'm using RasPlex 9.9.20 and I logged in to its SSH server as user "root" with password "rasplex" less than a minute ago.

    Best regards: dlanor

  • t3stevet3steve Posts: 29Members ✭✭

    so just to make sure the syntax is:

    ssh ipaddress -l root

    right?

  • maxcaxmaxcax Posts: 1Members
    t3steve wrote on June 17 2014, 1:32 AM: »

    so just to make sure the syntax is:

    ssh ipaddress -l root

    right?

    works for me, thanks...

  • hanson-plexhanson-plex Posts: 5Members ✭✭

    username: root

    pw: rasplex

    Just worked for me on a brand new installation of RasPlex 0.6.0 on an RPi 2 Model B.

  • NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    hanson-plex wrote on May 25 2015, 7:56 PM: »

    username: root
    pw: rasplex
     
    Just worked for me on a brand new installation of RasPlex 0.6.0 on an RPi 2 Model B.


    Yeah! That's what it says at the top of the topic, i.e. 'Answered'!

    Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

    "Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • NVader2000NVader2000 Posts: 453Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    nope, nope, and nope. None of these passwords work. I have a Pi 3 (b) and the latest build 1.2

  • hthighwayhthighway Posts: 6,531Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @NVader2000 said:
    nope, nope, and nope. None of these passwords work. I have a Pi 3 (b) and the latest build 1.2

    If you have the latest 1.2 build you must be referring to PMP, not Rasplex/OpenPHT.
    For Plex Media Player the username & password is (root & plex)

    • Paul
  • jordisalajordisala Posts: 2Members

    Hello,
    I had the same problem, it seems that with the current version of raspberry - libreelec - plexmediaplayer the ssh-keygen proccess doesn't finish when it configured the ssh.
    The symptom is this response when you try to connec with SSH:
    ssh root@192.168.10.164
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.10.164 port 22: Connection refused

    To solve this first you need to get access to a command line on the raspberrpi, the easiest way is to mount the SD in another computer and edit the cmdline.txt file adding textmode on the same line where ssh is found.
    I saw that file when I mounted the SD on a Mac, when I tried on a windows it didn't work but might be my windows.

    When you turn on the raspberry you'll see a commandline from there you can generate a new key but you should put it in the place it expects.

    Execute:
    systemctl status sshd
    One of the lines will mention something about an error opening a file with a text similar to this:
    /storage/.cache/ssh/ssh_host_ed25519_key
    Write down this text somewhere ( the one that appears on your screen ) because you'll need it on the following step.
    exit from the report pressing ESC : q
    Execute:
    ssh-keygen
    when it asks for a file write the concrete text that we mentioned earlier
    when it asks for a phasphrase just press enter
    enter again
    Now execute:
    systemctl start sshd
    And finally to check that everything goes well you can execute:
    systemctl status sshd
    It should say SUCCESS on the third line.
    Now you can try to connect using the user root and the password plex

    From here you can execute plexmediaplayer writting plexmediaplayer on the prommpt.
    If you solved this problem you can mount again the SD and delete the word textmode to return to normal usage.

  • benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Posts: 979Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @jordisala said:
    Hello,
    I had the same problem, it seems that with the current version of raspberry - libreelec - plexmediaplayer the ssh-keygen proccess doesn't finish when it configured the ssh.
    The symptom is this response when you try to connec with SSH:
    ssh root@192.168.10.164
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.10.164 port 22: Connection refused

    To solve this first you need to get access to a command line on the raspberrpi, the easiest way is to mount the SD in another computer and edit the cmdline.txt file adding textmode on the same line where ssh is found.
    I saw that file when I mounted the SD on a Mac, when I tried on a windows it didn't work but might be my windows.

    When you turn on the raspberry you'll see a commandline from there you can generate a new key but you should put it in the place it expects.

    Execute:
    systemctl status sshd
    One of the lines will mention something about an error opening a file with a text similar to this:
    /storage/.cache/ssh/ssh_host_ed25519_key
    Write down this text somewhere ( the one that appears on your screen ) because you'll need it on the following step.
    exit from the report pressing ESC : q
    Execute:
    ssh-keygen
    when it asks for a file write the concrete text that we mentioned earlier
    when it asks for a phasphrase just press enter
    enter again
    Now execute:
    systemctl start sshd
    And finally to check that everything goes well you can execute:
    systemctl status sshd
    It should say SUCCESS on the third line.
    Now you can try to connect using the user root and the password plex

    From here you can execute plexmediaplayer writting plexmediaplayer on the prommpt.
    If you solved this problem you can mount again the SD and delete the word textmode to return to normal usage.

    This belongs in the Plex Media Player subforum, not in Rasplex/OpenPHT. This is a different client.

    Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

  • TATUMTOTTATUMTOT Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    For The Official Plex Media Player Embedded. This was for the Raspberry PI

    Username: root
    Password: plex

    Plex Media Player for Embedded Platforms
    1.2.2.596-d1355001
    December 21, 2016

  • dlanordlanor Posts: 2,215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @TATUMTOT said:
    For The Official Plex Media Player Embedded. This was for the Raspberry PI

    Username: root
    Password: plex

    Plex Media Player for Embedded Platforms
    1.2.2.596-d1355001
    December 21, 2016

    Your information may very well be correct for that particular software.
    But this is NOT a subforum for the "Official Plex Media Player" aka "PMP"

    This subforum deals ONLY with the third-party Plex client "RasPlex",
    which is the Raspberry Pi implementation of "Open Plex Home Theater" aka "OpenPHT".

    Correct SSH login for RasPlex is (as stated several times above):
    Username: root
    Password: rasplex

    Best regards: dlanor

Sign In or Register to comment.