Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FEATURE REQUEST: Custom Library Icons

Comments

• destructodestructo Posts: 118Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    pruitt62 wrote on March 27 2013, 11:25 PM: »

I'm running into a small problem with this. I redesigned a few of the icons I originally setup the other day. When I go to change them, for some reason it's not picking up the new icon, even though it has an entirely different name. I even tried deleting the image from my photobucket account, and keeps showing the old image I setup a couple of days ago. I'm guessing that the Plex Server is caching this somewhere after first read. Does anyone know where this is so I can go in and delete the one's I updated, and force a new download?

Have you tried a library scan from the main plex/web page? That worked for me. Plex just needed to refresh the library.

destructo
    Rokoding: www.rokoding.com

• Lane03Lane03 Posts: 61Members ✭✭
    pruitt62 wrote on March 27 2013, 11:25 PM: »

I'm running into a small problem with this. I redesigned a few of the icons I originally setup the other day. When I go to change them, for some reason it's not picking up the new icon, even though it has an entirely different name. I even tried deleting the image from my photobucket account, and keeps showing the old image I setup a couple of days ago. I'm guessing that the Plex Server is caching this somewhere after first read. Does anyone know where this is so I can go in and delete the one's I updated, and force a new download?

Along with the above advice, make sure when you are changing the database that PMS isn't running.

• Squintz82Squintz82 Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I assume there's no way to change the Genre or Collection icons?

• pruitt62pruitt62 Posts: 465Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    destructo wrote on March 28 2013, 2:16 AM: »

Have you tried a library scan from the main plex/web page? That worked for me. Plex just needed to refresh the library.

Actually, I did not try that. I was able to fix the issue by going through all the cached transcoded images, and deleting the one's I wanted to replace. Which was a very lengthy process, but did resolve the problem.

I do have a few more icons that I assigned the other night, that I now want to replace with custom ones I am creating myself, so I am going to run into this problem again in the near future. When I do, I'll try as you suggest and see if that works. Thanks for mentioning the idea.

• mjbxxmjbxx Dedicated Member Posts: 920Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Do I really have to install Firefox to change the Library icons using SQLite Manager? I currently use the Chrome browser.

edited March 2013
    mjbxx wrote on March 28 2013, 8:06 PM: »

Do I really have to install Firefox to change the Library icons using SQLite Manager? I currently use the Chrome browser.

Use the program I linked to on page 1.

• jackandjohnjackandjohn Posts: 417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    mjbxx wrote on March 28 2013, 8:06 PM: »

No, any SQLite editor will work, the reason it's mentioned so much is mainly that Firefox is cross-platform and ubiquitous.

Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS x86_64 | sabnzb+, sickbeard

i3-4330 OSX86 (edits only through clover) 10.9.4 Plex / Backup server / File Server
    ASUS RT-AC66U w/Stock firmware (physical connection to the server)

FTTH (150/30)

2x iPhone 4 w/Plex app, iPad Air 2 w/Plex app, iPad 1st Gen w/Plex app

Roku2 XD w/Official Plex and RarFlix (And U.S DNS)
    Raspberry Pi - Testing RasPlex, OpenELEC and Raspbmc w/ PleXBMC V2 ; blog of this experience @ http://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com

I've successfully run Two (then three) Plex Instances on the Same Server. Click here to learn more: https://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/two-or-more-plex-server-instances-on-the-same-server/

*Constantly happy with how well Plex works, and where it's headed :)

I am having trouble entering the url address to the "user thumb url" in the Browse Data section of SQLite Database Browser. I can see all Library sections but get a window that pops open and closes when I double click in my attempt to enter the url for a specific section. Any help is appreciated.

edited March 2013
    mjbxx wrote on March 29 2013, 5:52 PM: »

I am having trouble entering the url address to the "user thumb url" in the Browse Data section of SQLite Database Browser. I can see all Library sections but get a window that pops open and closes when I double click in my attempt to enter the url for a specific section. Any help is appreciated.

Double click on the blank space under "user thumb url" for the section you want to customize.  A blank window pops up, enter the url address there.  Click "apply changes", and then close the window.  Then save the database and exit.

That is just it. I double click the blue highlighted "user thumb url" for a section and the window pops up, then quickly disappears. 

• destructodestructo Posts: 118Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    mjbxx wrote on March 29 2013, 7:18 PM: »

That is just it. I double click the blue highlighted "user thumb url" for a section and the window pops up, then quick y disappears.

have you turned off plex?

destructo
    Rokoding: www.rokoding.com

Yes. I went to system tray and exited Plex there. I can get into the Library section in SQLite in the Browser Data area. Every time I double click the "user thumb url" for any section, the window pops up then quickly disappears.

• jackandjohnjackandjohn Posts: 417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    mjbxx wrote on March 31 2013, 4:11 AM: »

Yes. I went to system tray and exited Plex there. I can get into the Library section in SQLite in the Browser Data area. Every time I double click the "user thumb url" for any section, the window pops up then quickly disappears.

This almost sounds like a software error; maybe reinstall the SQLite manager?

Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS x86_64 | sabnzb+, sickbeard

i3-4330 OSX86 (edits only through clover) 10.9.4 Plex / Backup server / File Server
    ASUS RT-AC66U w/Stock firmware (physical connection to the server)

FTTH (150/30)

2x iPhone 4 w/Plex app, iPad Air 2 w/Plex app, iPad 1st Gen w/Plex app

Roku2 XD w/Official Plex and RarFlix (And U.S DNS)
    Raspberry Pi - Testing RasPlex, OpenELEC and Raspbmc w/ PleXBMC V2 ; blog of this experience @ http://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com

I've successfully run Two (then three) Plex Instances on the Same Server. Click here to learn more: https://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/two-or-more-plex-server-instances-on-the-same-server/

*Constantly happy with how well Plex works, and where it's headed :)

edited April 2013

Already uninstalled and re-installed the SQLite Database Browser to no avail. Is there another SQ manager that is known to work with the Chrome browser and Windows 7?

Bump!...... Why is this not working?

No idea why, but I would guess it's a system specific problem, as I used the same database editor on Windows 7 x64 without any problems.  I would suggest trying another editor. 

I finally got this to work by installing Firefox and using the SQLite Manager as per the original instructions for customizing Library icons and It worked as advertised. This really polishes up the look of Plex on Roku. The customized icons are so much better than the standard generic icons that Plex provides.

• garymurphygarymurphy Posts: 34Members

I did this yesterday and my icons have all disapeared now. I just linked to the hosted set posted above. I am now putting copies in my own dropbox to link from there.

Is there a way to store them locally on the same mac that my PMS runs on?

garymurphy wrote on April 3 2013, 10:50 AM: »

I did this yesterday and my icons have all disapeared now. I just linked to the hosted set posted above. I am now putting copies in my own dropbox to link from there.

Is there a way to store them locally on the same mac that my PMS runs on?

Try using:

file:///FILE PATH

or

smb://FILE PATH
  • pruitt62pruitt62 Posts: 465Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I use a free Photobucket account that I've had for about 10 years now to host the icons I use for my Plex server. It works very well. :)