Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FEATURE REQUEST: Custom Library Icons

Comments

• garymurphygarymurphy Posts: 34Members

Thanks chaps,

I will give Lane's suggestion a go, just seems one less step to have them on my HDD.

Cheers

• Lane03Lane03 Posts: 61Members ✭✭
    garymurphy wrote on April 4 2013, 8:36 AM: »

Thanks chaps,

I will give Lane's suggestion a go, just seems one less step to have them on my HDD.

Cheers

If you are unsure how to get the full path, this program may make it easier.  I've never used it (I'm a Windows guy), but it sounds like it would work well.

http://dmevolve.com/2011/11/copying-file-paths-in-mac-os-x/

• wunderlong88wunderlong88 Posts: 135Members ✭✭
    Lane03 wrote on March 17 2013, 10:26 PM: »

I was able to view the xml using (http://localhost:32400/library/sections) which had the path to the icon, but I couldn't find where the xml file was to edit it.  However, I was able to accomplish this by using the below guide and sql editor.

http://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com/how-to/how-to-plex-media-server-change-the-section-icons/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

I went to the "How to: Plex Media Server: Change the Section Icons" and followed the instructions.  I installed the SQ Lite Editor and found the file com.plexapp.plugins.library.db at this address:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources

I looked at wiki link that appeared in the instructions and couldn't find such a place.  The above address was the only place I could find the com.plexapp.plugins.library.db file. Which when I open it with the SQ Lite Editor there is nothing in the library section.  This file shows to have the last date modified as 3/19/2013.  Can someone help me?  I would really like to change the icons but can't seem to make this work or find another way.

http://readingvoyages.blogspot.com/ - a blog of reading lists and unit studies for homeschoolers

Ok, I figured out how to do it.  I had the wrong file, which I suspected but no search was turning up the right one.  I finally located it.  I have successfully changed the tv show icon.

Now I thought this was going to make it possible to change the genre icons but I don't see where to do that.  Can anyone tell me?

http://readingvoyages.blogspot.com/ - a blog of reading lists and unit studies for homeschoolers

• dwanthnydwanthny Posts: 374Members ✭✭
    wunderlong88 wrote on April 6 2013, 8:25 PM: »

Now I thought this was going to make it possible to change the genre icons but I don't see where to do that. Can anyone tell me?

I'm not at home but as I recall, look under the Tags table to change the genre icons. They are all type 1.
  • Squintz82Squintz82 Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    dwanthny wrote on April 7 2013, 1:23 AM: »

I'm not at home but as I recall, look under the Tags table to change the genre icons. They are all type 1.

I've been trying to figure this out myself, but don't see a way to do this.

Squintz82 wrote on April 10 2013, 6:14 PM: »

I've been trying to figure this out myself, but don't see a way to do this.

I went ahead and made a library collection for each genre.  For example I have war films, westerns, cartoons, dramas, documentaries, tv shows, romance etc. and gave them library collection icons.  I have my videos in folders for each collection and PMS is assigned that folder for each collection.  This works nicely and it keeps me from having to go into as many screens on Roku since all of my collections/genres appear at the upper tier on Roku.  Also, I decided to do this so instead of using the actual genres because I didn't want to go to all the trouble of customizing the genre fields for each title and then have a problem or reason that I lost that info (since I haven't found that there is a way to back up personal metadata).  The only downside to my method is that a movie can really only go in one genre/collection unless you want to have to backup copies (which I don't because of space on my drive).  This isn't really a problem for me as I can easily put each one in one main genre/collection and be happy with it.

I think this makes for a simple clean interface at the top tier of the Plex channel and will be easier if for some reason I lose my personal metadata changes (I'm trying to limit those!)

• tcowingtcowing Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I notice that this method works great for your own shares (thanks everyone!), but I have a friend with whom I share my libraries as well. When he uses his Roku, my libraries show up under the Shared Libraries section but without my icons. So, it just works for me at home. Any solution to this?

Thanks!

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,786Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Todd Cowing wrote on May 22 2013, 4:06 PM: »

I notice that this method works great for your own shares (thanks everyone!), but I have a friend with whom I share my libraries as well. When he uses his Roku, my libraries show up under the Shared Libraries section but without my icons. So, it just works for me at home. Any solution to this?

I haven't tried it myself, but I'd expect it to work as long as the custom URL you put in the DB is a http:// URL. So, if you can host the icons somewhere online (photobucket, imgur, your Dropbox Public folder, ...), it should work fine using one of those URLs.

• tcowingtcowing Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    schuyler wrote on May 22 2013, 5:24 PM: »

I haven't tried it myself, but I'd expect it to work as long as the custom URL you put in the DB is a http:// URL. So, if you can host the icons somewhere online (photobucket, imgur, your Dropbox Public folder, ...), it should work fine using one of those URLs.

I am doing that actually, but thanks for the suggestion! I think the problem is Plex on Roku is drawing from a different place for the icons it uses in Shared Libraries vs the icons it uses for the ones on your own server(s).

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,786Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Ah, sorry. For the shared sections, the Roku just asks myPlex for the list of shared sections and I didn't realize that myPlex doesn't return a thumb at all. There may be something we can do about that, thanks for bringing it up!

• pruitt62pruitt62 Posts: 465Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    schuyler wrote on May 24 2013, 5:31 AM: »

Ah, sorry. For the shared sections, the Roku just asks myPlex for the list of shared sections and I didn't realize that myPlex doesn't return a thumb at all. There may be something we can do about that, thanks for bringing it up!

That would be great if you can make a change so that it works with Shared accounts that use Roku's too, Schuyler! :)

• mgsmith.njmgsmith.nj Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

At first glance the whole process seemed a bit complicated, but it really was pretty easy - even with Plex running on a Synology NAS. Much thanks to everyone who took the time to document the steps and answer questions. Hopefully Plex will build this functionality into the app in a future update.

If you're curious, here's how my libraries look now:

LibraryImageForPost.png

• dunamidunami Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

PLEASE make this work for remote clients!  The current section/genre icons make it a bit tougher to browse through content than it needs to be.  Changing the icons for the devices on my network has made a huge difference.   The people I share with aren't actually running their own PMS, and I imagine that's true for a lot of other people who share their PMS.  It'd be great if the remote users could benefit from the custom icons.

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,799Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

PLEASE make this work for remote clients! The current section/genre icons make it a bit tougher to browse through content than it needs to be. Changing the icons for the devices on my network has made a huge difference. The people I share with aren't actually running their own PMS, and I imagine that's true for a lot of other people who share their PMS. It'd be great if the remote users could benefit from the custom icons.

Is it not? I swear I tested this and it worked.
    Of course I'm using RARflix, but I haven't modified that code yet.
    edited October 2013

Is it not? I swear I tested this and it worked.

Maybe that was a poor choice of wording.  I'm specifically talking about remote clients of people I share my PMS with.  Not me accessing my PMS remotely --- although, I haven't tested to see how the icons show up in that situation.

When you say you've tested it, do you mean you've changed the icons on your PMS and you've confirmed that someone you share with through myPlex is seeing your icons on their client?

I assumed based on the posts above that it didn't work on the clients of those who you are sharing your PMS with.  But I just noticed those posts were from June, so maybe it's been updated?  I can have one of the guys a share with test it later today.  But I was working under the impression it doesn't work in that situation.

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,799Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Maybe that was a poor choice of wording. I'm specifically talking about remote clients of people I share my PMS with. Not me accessing my PMS remotely --- although, I have tested to see how the icons show up in that situation.

When you say you've tested it, do you mean you've changed the icons on your PMS and you've confirmed that someone you share with through myPlex is seeing your icons on their client?

I assumed based on the posts above that it didn't work on the clients of those who you are sharing your PMS with. But I just noticed those posts were from June, so maybe it's been updated? I can have one of the guys a share with test it later today. But I was working under the impression it doesn't work in that situation.

Yes I have changed my icons. Yes I have tested this with remote clients outside my network and with a different login than my PMS.

The fact is, local or shared, the Roku code to display the area is identical except the row name being "library" vs "shared library"

Ah, they must have updated it since the end of May then.

Higher up on this page, one of the Plex Developers said this in May:

For the shared sections, the Roku just asks myPlex for the list of shared sections and I didn't realize that myPlex doesn't return a thumb at all. There may be something we can do about that, thanks for bringing it up!

I'm going to very happy if you're right.  Thanks for saying something so I know.

Ah, they must have updated it since the end of May then.

Higher up on this page, one of the Plex Developers said this in May:

I'm going to very happy if you're right. Thanks for saying something so I know.

Looking at the commits, it was done 4 months ago.
    https://github.com/ljunkie/roku-client-public/commit/0693fa9adb96d4af0e98d9e75ddcc0765bf00431

Fix was pushed in v2.6.5 and stated in the release notes, but it's a little cryptic as one would probably not know that 'request sections directly from shared server' would have fixed this issue.
  • pruitt62pruitt62 Posts: 465Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2013

yeah, I can confirm this works with remote users who are using Roku's too. I have several shared users who have Roku's, and I've personally seen my custom section icons on their Roku's on the stamndard Plex client (I think I'm the only user on my system that uses the rarFlix client on the Roku). I know it also works for remote users who are using Plex/Web too.