Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FEATURE REQUEST: Custom Library Icons

Comments

• pruitt62pruitt62 Posts: 465Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    tycho1974 wrote on December 30 2013, 9:39 PM: »

Thanks for your walkthroughs, JamminR. I've followed your instructions, and was successfully able to change my sections thumbs. However, I've recently made some edits to the thumbs, and wanted to update the database. No matter how many times I edit the .db file, my old thumbnails persist. I've even deleted the actual PNG files for the original thumbnails, but they're still showing up! I don't know how this is possible, unless PMS somehow caches the files. I've made new directories (in my public dropbox folder, where I keep the PNG files), I've renamed the files, but nothing works. Any ideas?

Yes, Plex caches the image. I ran into that problem long ago. I ended up going through all the cache folders and deleting every instance of the images (and there are a bunch. lol). But I think you can get it to take the new image simply by adding or deleting a movie, etc to the category. It seems to me that it recreates the image when you do that.

• tycho1974tycho1974 Posts: 237Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, that's the only thing I hadn't done, was to update a section by adding an item. What I ended up doing instead was re-naming the section, then I had to re-link to a new PNG image. I'll keep the updating section thing in mind next time, thanks...

• dunamidunami Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    tycho1974 wrote on December 31 2013, 3:31 AM: »

Yes, that's the only thing I hadn't done, was to update a section by adding an item. What I ended up doing instead was re-naming the section, then I had to re-link to a new PNG image. I'll keep the updating section thing in mind next time, thanks...

You don't need to do all of that.  There is a folder for image transcodes.  Just delete it.  If you're using a roku, you'll need to reboot.  The image will show up after the reboot.  If you're using a browser, refreshing will get it to show up.

What OS are you using?  I'll tell you exactly what you need to delete. --- You should not have to rename anything, refresh sections, etc.  Just nuke the cached images.

• lazyboneslazybones Posts: 891Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

A few tips for ICON changes

1.When you backup com.plexapp.plugins.library.db also grab com.plexapp.plugins.library.db-shm and com.plexapp.plugins.library.db-wal.... When you put your newly edited com.plexapp.plugins.library.db back, delete the -shm and -wal file or the DB will think it is corrupt and recover from these files each time plex launches.. The files should be recreated with your new DB file on first launch.

2. On Ubuntu I created a new folder under /var/lib/plexmediaserver called /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Icons and made sure the plex service account was the owner.,... I then put my new custom icons in there with direct paths to /var/lib/plexmediaserver/icons/mycustomicon.png. Plex serves a URL to the clients, they do no need access to these fires, just the plex service.

• tycho1974tycho1974 Posts: 237Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My PMS is running on a Windows 7 box.

I tested the "refresh by updating section content" theory, and that works as well...

fusionfan wrote on December 31 2013, 3:34 AM: »

You don't need to do all of that.  There is a folder for image transcodes.  Just delete it.  If you're using a roku, you'll need to reboot.  The image will show up after the reboot.  If you're using a browser, refreshing will get it to show up.

What OS are you using?  I'll tell you exactly what you need to delete. --- You should not have to rename anything, refresh sections, etc.  Just nuke the cached images.

• hoonerhooner Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

please make this a feature of plex.

• DallasHQDallasHQ Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1, please add this feature to Plex.

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Lane03 wrote on March 17 2013, 10:26 PM: »

I was able to view the xml using (http://localhost:32400/library/sections) which had the path to the icon, but I couldn't find where the xml file was to edit it.  However, I was able to accomplish this by using the below guide and sql editor.

http://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com/how-to/how-to-plex-media-server-change-the-section-icons/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

For anybody on a Mac following the instructions in the links, you can use the free SQLite Studio http://sqlitestudio.pl/ instead of having to install Firefox, also has free downloads for Windows and Linux.

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • dwanthnydwanthny Posts: 374Members ✭✭

Just showing the success I had thanks to this thread.

Roku_Plex_UI.jpg

Roku_Plex_UI-2.jpg

• pdfsmailpdfsmail Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass
    edited May 2014

WHY is this not a standard option, you would think it would be an obvious thing! Who wants all of their similar library sections to have the same icons?????

I love plex but this needs updated, trying to figure out my different libraries on Roku (and some apps) can be a nightmare. i honestly find having to go into mysql to do this is ridiculous! 

• jeffvenutijeffvenuti Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ditto the last post.

+1 for adding this feature soon.

• greybeardgreybeard Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

One reason I switched from XBMC to Plex is that I got tired of having to hack stuff with XBMC.  The ability to customize the Library icons from within the server app would be a major feature.  Right now the Libraries look like something is missing.

• mammarellamammarella Posts: 9Members ✭✭
    greybeard wrote on July 24 2014, 11:20 PM: »

One reason I switched from XBMC to Plex is that I got tired of having to hack stuff with XBMC.  The ability to customize the Library icons from within the server app would be a major feature.  Right now the Libraries look like something is missing.

pdfsmail wrote on May 13 2014, 12:04 AM: »

WHY is this not a standard option, you would think it would be an obvious thing! Who wants all of their similar library sections to have the same icons?????

I love plex but this needs updated, trying to figure out my different libraries on Roku (and some apps) can be a nightmare. i honestly find having to go into mysql to do this is ridiculous! 

I could not agree more - "something is missing". This is one of those little things that make my home media server look and feel "homemade", instead of like a professional, polished experience. I love that the Plex team continues to work hard on introducing new and useful features, but this one seems like a no-brainer.

• jamin.miserjamin.miser Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

+1 for this.

• mcolvinmcolvin Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for this.

• EmbiggensEmbiggens Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1

Custom Library Icons are essential for a simple user interface like the Roku Plex app has. It makes it much better looking, and far more user friendly, which makes it a far better experience for all. If the Roku must have a simple interface because of deficiencies in it's SDK, than having Custom Library Icons is an absolute must, in my opinion. I've had my library icons setup for about a year and half now. It is simply a far better experience for me and the people I share with, than those ugly default icons that causes people to hate this UI so much. I guess that's why the Plex app UI for Roku doesn't bother me, because it doesn't necessarily look horrible when using Custom Library Icons. :)

131116_PlexLibraryCapture.png

• Terry ToweTerry Towe Posts: 613Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2014

+1 on this.  Even though I only have a few sections, three movie sections with visibly different icons simply looks better than 3 identical icons side by side.  I absolutely hate going to the genre row on a Roku.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,682Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Pruitt wrote on October 16 2014, 5:20 PM: »

Custom Library Icons are essential for a simple user interface like the Roku Plex app has. It makes it much better looking, and far more user friendly, which makes it a far better experience for all. If the Roku must have a simple interface because of deficiencies in it's SDK, than having Custom Library Icons is an absolute must, in my opinion. I've had my library icons setup for about a year and half now. It is simply a far better experience for me and the people I share with, than those ugly default icons that causes people to hate this UI so much. I guess that's why the Plex app UI for Roku doesn't bother me, because it doesn't necessarily look horrible when using Custom Library Icons. :)

131116_PlexLibraryCapture.png

What view is that?  Looks like the WebApp, but they got rid of the library icons.  Did you somehow get the old UI and block the update?

edited October 2014
    MovieFan wrote on October 21 2014, 4:42 AM: »

What view is that?  Looks like the WebApp, but they got rid of the library icons.  Did you somehow get the old UI and block the update?

It's an old screen capture I have up on photobucket from before they removed the icon view from the Plex/Web app. It's the easiest way I have to display what custom icons can look like these days, as I can't screen cap the Roku views and the Plex/Web app no longer shows the icons. ;)