If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FEATURE REQUEST: Custom Library Icons

Comments

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,037Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Ok.  I thought I was missing something.  Carry on.

• th3shazth3shaz Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I take it this lovely hack is no longer working? Or maybe I'm special? Because I've about had it with this generic way of displaying libraries. You'd think a simple "Change Icon" feature wouldn't be so hard to code lol :P

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate the work being done here. But this is a very small feature request. I have been messing with SQL Lite and this Database all morning just trying to figure out how to change these silly icons. To no avail.

This is what i get when I try to view the library sections:

U80zVcu.png

Any help is greatly appreciated at this point. I have GIVEN up.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,037Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I think you opened the wrong database.  There are 2, the one in the programs folder, which I think is the one you opened.  The other is in your localappdata folder.   %LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Databases\

The hack still works sort of.  They latest version of PMS removed the ability to use local images.  If you use an online image, they work fine.

• jackandjohnjackandjohn Posts: 417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I'm going to dig deeper in to this past the holidays and update the guide if appropriate.
    One thing to consider is that client support custom icons is quietly being phased out.

iOS does not show custom icons
    nor Plex/Web
    nor Plex/HT
    nor Android

The only client that it seemed to work on is the Roku, and tbh I've been using iOS+Plex/HT more, so didn't notice that with the latest Plex server and the latest Roku app, my custom icons are gone.

Imo, the Plex experience is about crafting a home where our loved media can be honoured and kept, and being able to put work in to the 'shelves' is part of how we express their importance. Hopefully, it's still part of the conversations the staff have behind closed doors.

Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS x86_64 | sabnzb+, sickbeard

i3-4330 OSX86 (edits only through clover) 10.9.4 Plex / Backup server / File Server
    ASUS RT-AC66U w/Stock firmware (physical connection to the server)

FTTH (150/30)

2x iPhone 4 w/Plex app, iPad Air 2 w/Plex app, iPad 1st Gen w/Plex app

Roku2 XD w/Official Plex and RarFlix (And U.S DNS)
    Raspberry Pi - Testing RasPlex, OpenELEC and Raspbmc w/ PleXBMC V2 ; blog of this experience @ http://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com

I've successfully run Two (then three) Plex Instances on the Same Server. Click here to learn more: https://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/two-or-more-plex-server-instances-on-the-same-server/

*Constantly happy with how well Plex works, and where it's headed :)

• leelyndsleelynds Posts: 984Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2014
    jackandjohn wrote on December 24 2014, 4:33 PM: »

One thing to consider is that client support custom icons is quietly being phased out.

nor Plex/Web
    nor Plex/HT
    nor Android

The only client that it seemed to work on is the Roku...

Hmm - custom icons DID work on my android phone and tablet, and on the Sony Google TV (NSZ-GS7/GX70) until the server update a few days ago.  I also read in another forum (I think Windows phone) that custom icons have quit working since update.  In any event, it seems to me a lot, if not most apps, still use icons for libraries rather than the text based style Plex is moving towards. 

Personal opinion - I prefer the icons, and for libraries I share out to my younger grandkids (who don't have full reading skills yet) it just made sense to have an icon representing the content inside the library.  My grandkids' TV watching IS monitored, but not so strict that each video is approved by a parent after the request "Can I watch Plex?"  Before they could go to the Cartoon or Disney icon, now they will need to read, even if I revert to the default icons Plex gave us

After all, once you get into a library section, you are basically choosing an icon (Pooh, Mary Poppins, etc) anyways, so I have a tough time understanding library icons being phased out, particularly for the Roku, where the interface is simple and more icon/graphic driven than some of the other apps.

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,715Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2014

I'd recommend finding out if this "request" exists in the PlexPass "bug and feature request" forum.

If not, start one there so people can vote.

As I add more libraries to my collection (including the recent Christmas one!), I'd love to have a quick easy icon edit feature for all shared/myself to see.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.9.7.4460
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM
  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,371Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    jackandjohn wrote on December 24 2014, 4:33 PM: »

I'm going to dig deeper in to this past the holidays and update the guide if appropriate.

nor Plex/Web
    nor Plex/HT
    nor Android

The only client that it seemed to work on is the Roku, and tbh I've been using iOS+Plex/HT more, so didn't notice that with the latest Plex server and the latest Roku app, my custom icons are gone.

Imo, the Plex experience is about crafting a home where our loved media can be honoured and kept, and being able to put work in to the 'shelves' is part of how we express their importance. Hopefully, it's still part of the conversations the staff have behind closed doors.

Custom icons (server based at least) work great on Android. All my Android devices show my custom icons without issue as does my Fire TV and all my Rokus.

My only issue is that the method of adding them should, by now, be built into Plex rather than having to use an external SQL editor to add or change them.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• leelyndsleelynds Posts: 984Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, server based icons work.  But I prefer the icons to be local, for no other reason than they are local.  I can add custom movie posters, backgrounds, TV show posters, episode images, etc by adding a jpg with the correct naming convention or by "drag and drop" or "browse" files on the computer.  I assume those files are being added to the database as either a link to the file, or as digital data in the database.

Not that it is difficult to upload an image, or do as I have (and others), set up a local server basically to just host the icons. But Plex is a server after all, and I don't need to be connected to the internet for it to work and display posters on my local network.. I haven't noticed that all of the posters, etc disappear when not connected to the internet. 

A quick search found at least 4 enties in "Feature and Bug" voting, plus many others scattered throughout the forum in Roku, windows, server releases, and so on.  All of them say the only way is to edit the database manually (problem solved) and the post drops farther down the line so that it is several pages deep and never found to get a few more votes.  Not too many likes an any of them, because a solution was available. 

And, there are "real" problems which SHOULD get the attention when the server doesn't actually work.  I don't disagree with that.

custom icon requests:

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/123934-thumbnail-for-a-library/?hl=%2Bcustom+%2Bicons#entry739013

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/122422-custom-library-icons/?hl=%2Bcustom+%2Bicons

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/106175-feature-request-ability-to-use-filters-and-custom-icons-when-adding-sections/?hl=%2Bcustom+%2Bicons

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/93559-icons-for-media-folders/?hl=%2Bcustom+%2Bicons#entry566373

Just frustrated, and the rant ends here. 

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,715Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

leely, understood.

I'm more frustrated with the fact that so many just post "+1", never 'voting' by actually clicking "like" on the first post.

Heck, some of the features I want are 20-30 pages deep, and only 1/4 as many likes.

I'm amazed that PS3/4 got so many likes. I'm still waiting on a way to control my shared clients access bandwidth, let alone yet one more way for my friends to access my server and not see the icons I want easily edited.

<end soap box - choir understands you>

All that being said, I'm betting elan/other primary devs that look for feature requests probably don't pay much attention to this area of the forums.

lljunkie might care a bit more than most, but, yeah, one of those threads needs to be revived.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.9.7.4460
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM
  • mscroggimscroggi Posts: 27Members
    I have a bunch of custom icons. It's fabulous. I wanted to mention though that you don't have to find actual small graphics. Most of the images I used are straight from Google image search. Plex does a fine job of scaling the imagery to a good size.
  • farscapesg01farscapesg01 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Either the new server version or the new Roku update released on 1/6 appears to have killed the custom icons option for the Roku now :(  I've been working on a solution to cut the cord in our household, and thought I had Plex and my Rokus set up just about how I wanted them... and starting today (just updated the server and roku apps), all the custom icons I set up in the database are missing for my library section.

This puts a damper on my plans to migrate completely to Plex since I have a 4 year old (going on 16) in the house that wants to watch her shows sometimes and doesn't want help finding them ;)  I need something other than the generic TV or Movie icons to differentiate the kids section from the regular TV or movie sections... that doesn't require reading.

• dwanthnydwanthny Posts: 374Members ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    farscapesg01 wrote on January 10 2015, 4:49 AM: »

Either the new server version or the new Roku update released on 1/6 appears to have killed the custom icons option for the Roku now :(  I've been working on a solution to cut the cord in our household, and thought I had Plex and my Rokus set up just about how I wanted them... and starting today (just updated the server and roku apps), all the custom icons I set up in the database are missing for my library section.

I just checked the Plex channel and my custom icons are working fine with the latest Roku update and Plex Media Server version 0.9.11.1.678-c48ffd2.

farscapesg01 wrote on January 10 2015, 4:49 AM: »

This puts a damper on my plans to migrate completely to Plex since I have a 4 year old (going on 16) in the house that wants to watch her shows sometimes and doesn't want help finding them ;)  I need something other than the generic TV or Movie icons to differentiate the kids section from the regular TV or movie sections... that doesn't require reading.

I have read on this forum that locally stored custom icons are having the issue, but for folks who host their icons online (I use dropbox) there is no problem.
  • farscapesg01farscapesg01 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2015
    dwanthny wrote on January 10 2015, 5:11 AM: »

I have read on this forum that locally stored custom icons are having the issue, but for folks who host their icons online (I use dropbox) there is no problem.

Thanks... I'll look into that option I guess.... might as well make use of my Dropbox account for something ;)

Edit - Yep, that did it.  I like having it local instead of hosted via Dropbox... but if that is what it takes... so be it.

• troycarpentertroycarpenter Posts: 188Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I've been wondering about this as well. I have the icons on the server and reference them that way. Guess I need to move them to a directory under the Web server running on the same machine as Plex and access them through the Web server.

Plex Server 1.9.6.4385   Linux 64bit on Ubuntu KVM, 4 core, 8GB

Host: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz, 8 Core, 32GB, 12TB

Clients: Roku-3, Android (8), Chromecast, Fire TV Stick (2), iPad, Plex Web

farscapesg01 wrote on January 10 2015, 6:09 AM: »

Edit - Yep, that did it.  I like having it local instead of hosted via Dropbox... but if that is what it takes... so be it.

Local or Dropbox makes little difference since the icons are cached locally by the server. I've run Plex with the internet down and the icons were not hampered by the lack of internet.
  • hackztor@gmail.comhackztor@gmail.com Posts: 485Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have my icons local and they work. They get cached so make sure delete the cache if going from normal to custom just in case.

• rossbeckrossbeck Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm a bit confused.  Do any of these methods work with the latest server?  I assume it needs to be re-done every time you update the server as well?  Just though I'd ask before diving in. :-)

rossbeck wrote on January 28 2015, 2:13 PM: »

I'm a bit confused.  Do any of these methods work with the latest server?  I assume it needs to be re-done every time you update the server as well?  Just though I'd ask before diving in. :-)

Putting the URL in the database to the icon JPG file of your choice for any given library works fine and has never had to be updated across server upgrades.
    Elijah_Baley wrote on December 24 2014, 11:30 PM: »

Custom icons (server based at least) work great on Android. All my Android devices show my custom icons without issue as does my Fire TV and all my Rokus.

My only issue is that the method of adding them should, by now, be built into Plex rather than having to use an external SQL editor to add or change them.

What he said (all of it, if you are wondering).

rossbeck wrote on January 28 2015, 2:13 PM: »

For some reason, the local "file" URLS stopped working for me.  Based on what I read here, I moved the icons under a directory accessible by nginx, which is already running on my plex server and updated the URL to point there.  Now it works again.  Was it really broke before I changed the URL?  Don't know.  Perhaps the act of messing with the URL in and of itself actually fixed the problem.  Either way, it works great on all my devices that support it (Android, AFTV, Roku).