Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FEATURE REQUEST: Custom Library Icons

Comments

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,682Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The file URL stopped working some time ago.  Only http ones work now.

• liamcraneyliamcraney Posts: 4Members

Hi guys

Just been trying this myself but i cant seem to edit anything, i have double clicked on some of the entries but nothing happens. Am i missing something here?

gZoolpvl.png

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,552Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

LIam, Did you shut down the Plex server?

Does user your logged in as running the SQL editor have edit rights to the folder those files are in?

(Just my guesses)

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.9.1
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM
  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,682Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Is that the actual screen you are clicking on?  You need to move over 1 tab to the right to "Browse Data".  There you can double click to edit the entries.

• presto709presto709 Posts: 160Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

To the Plex developer who said early in this thread that this was on your radar.  Any progress at all?   Isn't this a relatively simple feature to add?   I just want the icons on the first page to be as attractive and useful as the icons on all the other pages.   Almost anything would be an improvement over the small indistinct icons used now. 

• david100kdavid100k Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

custom icons please

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,786Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The new preview channel doesn't use icons for libraries at all. The libraries are shown by name in the first column of the whole screen. With fewer and fewer clients using icons for libraries at all, it's less likely that official support for custom icons will be added.

• david100kdavid100k Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks, i had the custom icons for a while was great "for kids and myself" but it seems that workaround "hack is no longer supported. I have a 42inch tv in my room still can't read that far away. 

Any other workaround for this ?

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Posts: 3,786Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Have you tried the preview app (since I see that you have a Plex Pass)? I don't know exactly how far away you are from the TV, but the text is intended to be readable in that app.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,324Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    david100k wrote on April 17 2015, 3:56 PM: »

Thanks, i had the custom icons for a while was great "for kids and myself" but it seems that workaround "hack is no longer supported. I have a 42inch tv in my room still can't read that far away. 

Any other workaround for this ?

As many posts have pointed out the "hack" still works fine as long as your icons are hosted on the web or you run a server to serve them up. It is just the "file" method that does not work.

But the new "Plex Pass Preview" channel makes it unnecessary as others have pointed out. Of course that channel is still being developed and is missing several features (they will come over time) but I find that it works well enough for me to use for 90% of my watching.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• BaconnaiseBaconnaise Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Elijah_Baley wrote on April 17 2015, 4:21 PM: »

As many posts have pointed out the "hack" still works fine as long as your icons are hosted on the web or you run a server to serve them up. It is just the "file" method that does not work.

But the new "Plex Pass Preview" channel makes it unnecessary as others have pointed out. Of course that channel is still being developed and is missing several features (they will come over time) but I find that it works well enough for me to use for 90% of my watching.

The file method is the biggest regret I have with updating :(. The new Plex Pass Channel is nice but is still several steps backwards of the the current app. They need to add better ways to manage and view movie/tv collections. It becomes cumbersome to use rather quickly. Old app I have movie collections and genres split into sections via Plex and put in order via the sort title field. Here's an example. New version in preview now has title issues where the text is cutoff so navigating and finding what you want is more problematic.Old app if the text is cutoff you have icons.

• dwanthnydwanthny Posts: 374Members ✭✭
    Baconnaise wrote on April 22 2015, 2:33 PM: »

The file method is the biggest regret I have with updating :(.

If you haven't yet done so, get a free cloud account, I use dropbox. Take a few minutes and load your icons to the cloud.  Then create html links for each icon and update your Plex install.  This will work until it doesn't work. :)

• leelyndsleelynds Posts: 939Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Baconnaise wrote on April 22 2015, 2:33 PM: »

The file method is the biggest regret I have with updating :(. The new Plex Pass Channel is nice but is still several steps backwards of the the current app. They need to add better ways to manage and view movie/tv collections. It becomes cumbersome to use rather quickly. Old app I have movie collections and genres split into sections via Plex and put in order via the sort title field. Here's an example. New version in preview now has title issues where the text is cutoff so navigating and finding what you want is more problematic.Old app if the text is cutoff you have icons.

While generally, I do like the look of the new apps, I do miss the library icons on smaller screens (phone, tablets)  My old eyes struggle to read the text until I add bi-focals into the mix.  As well, my grandkids could just click on an icon to know the content inside - no reading involved.  I'm pretty sure my younger grandchildren are not the only kids allowed to browse a Plex library without total and complete parental supervision ;)

• jplrx123jplrx123 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    schuyler wrote on April 17 2015, 4:12 PM: »

Have you tried the preview app (since I see that you have a Plex Pass)? I don't know exactly how far away you are from the TV, but the text is intended to be readable in that app.

Can you provide screenshots of your menu bar in OS X or task bar in Windows or your bookmarks bar on Chrome? Navigation is much more efficient with icons versus text, and it also saves space. Unless Plex is going to allow better integration of media types so fewer libraries are necessary, then the use of custom icons should be a priority considering screen real estate is harder to come by on the ever expanding market of mobile devices. The fact that so many people without dev expertise are going extra steps in order to achieve the use of custom icons on their own should be a pretty clear indicator that Plex should implement this feature. At the very least just have SOME variation so navigation is easier. Pretty please?

• john9527john9527 Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2015

For those of you with an Asus router running asuswrt-merlin firmware (ie 'Merlin'), you can use your router to act as the web server for your custom icons.  Here's how (I'm assuming you have at least some knowledge of the capabilities of the Merlin firmware and basic Linux skills.....if not start with a visit to the wiki)

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

After logging into the router via telnet or ssh

- create a new directory in jffs storage (this will be the permanent storage for your custom icons)

mkdir /jffs/wwwext

- copy your custom icons to the /jffs/wwwext directory (for windows users you can use WinSCP, or copy from a usb drive attached to the router using Linux cp)

- create an init-start script in /jffs/scripts or add the following lines to your existing init-start (this will copy the icons to the router ram at every router boot)

# Copy files for user webserver
    cp -f /jffs/wwwext/* /var/wwwext

Reminder....if creating a new init-start make sure to make it executable and include the shebang.

- update the plex db using any of the tools previously mentioned....use the following for the icon ids

http://router.asus.com/user/icon_name.png

Reboot the router and you are done!

I was amazed how much difference using custom icons made in the 'look' of the standard plex roku app.

• Mr. BattlePlexMr. BattlePlex Posts: 191Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not to beat a dead horse, but we are going on 2.5 years now and as of today (many updates along the way) we still do not have the ability to customize icons in a simple fashion. Can someone on the development team advise as to why it's taking so long to give us what appears to be a simple capability? I, personally, would be happy with the ability to choose from 6 to 10 built-in icons so I can easily tell where I am at in my library vs. scrolling stock icons, etc. Understand, my library has 17 categories of media that includes movies and music. Movie media consisting of instructional videos, workout videos, main stream movies, classic movies, disney, James Bond, Trilogy, Billboard Hot 100 music, blues, jazz, classic rock, rock, pop, soft, etc, etc, etc. I'm not looking for a backdoor hack. I'm looking for simplicity and ease as a paid customer (multiple Plex Pass) and someone who markets your product daily. Please advise. Thanks!

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,552Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2015

@bgower , likely because Plex devs are totally moving away from "icons" at all. Roku was one of the few clients that had them for a while now.

See https://blog.plex.tv/2015/02/24/brand-new-plex-app-platform-people/for some preview pics of what the new Roku app is starting to look like.

There's discussion of how to get the preview plexpass release for Roku scattered through-out the wiki and forums.

The above is all my opinion; do with it what you must.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.9.1
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM

^^ Pretty spot on.  The current Roku app and the Windows 8.1 app are the only clients I know that still use custom icons.  This is a design decision they have made and I highly doubt they will change that.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,818Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

JamminR and MovieFan are correct.

Things do change and nothing is ever set in stone but I certainly don't want to give any of you false hope that custom icons are going to happen in the future.

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • robot2xlrobot2xl Posts: 530Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How I can change the "empty icon poster" for an alternative image?

robot2xl