Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to: Automated Linux script for fixing broken mkv files, works with sickbeard too.

hd1080hd1080 Plex for Samsung ModeratorPosts: 1,110Members ✭✭

I wrote this script for sickbeard so it can be execute after sickbeard downloaded a new episode. You can also use it manually.

The script checks with which mkvmerge version the file was created. If the version is higher than 5.8.0 then it will remerge the file. It also checks if the file is compressed.

When you run the script it also checks your installed mkvmerge version. If the installed version is higher than 5.8.0 it will remerge the file with the option '--engage no_cue_duration,no_cue_relative_position'. So the new file will work fine.

It creates a logfile under /tmp/repairMKV.log . You can change this in the script.

You can also run the script in a simulation mode, this means it doesn't touch any of your files. This can be useful to check how many files are affected.

This is how you use it:

./repairMKV.sh <file or folder> [options]

Options:
   -s Simulation mode, no files will be altered.
   -f Forced mode, repair mkv anyway.
   -h Show this help.

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcfpqjb6hf1zqsa/repairMKV.zip

Example for a file:

./repairMKV.sh /home/user/Downloads/complete/Sickbeard/Workaholics/Workaholics.S03E19.In.Line.720p.WEB-DL.mkv 

Output would be:

Filename: /home/user/Downloads/complete/Sickbeard/Workaholics/Workaholics.S03E19.In.Line.720p.WEB-DL.mkv
repair is not needed, mkv version is not higher than 5.8.0 it is 4.9.1 

Example for folder:

./repairMKV.sh /home/user/Downloads/complete/Sickbeard/Workaholics/

Output would be:

Filename: /home/user/Downloads/complete/Sickbeard/Workaholics/Workaholics.S03E18.Hungry.Like.the.Wolf.Dog.720p.WEB-DL.mkv

Filename: /home/user/Downloads/complete/Sickbeard/Workaholics/Workaholics.S03E19.In.Line.720p.WEB-DL.mkv

Example for the simulation mode:

./repairMKV.sh /home/user/Downloads/complete/Sickbeard/Workaholics/Workaholics.S03E19.In.Line.720p.WEB-DL.mkv -s

Output would be:

This is a simulation!

The simulation works also with folders.

How to make it work with sickbeard:

So let me explain how you can use it with sickbeard. I did this on an ubuntu 11.10 system.

First you have to install mkvtoolnix on your system. The easiest way is with apt-get but it could be that this version is too new. You can check which version will be installed with this command

apt-get -s install mkvtoolnix

Output should be:

NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libboost-filesystem1.49.0 libboost-regex1.49.0 libboost-system1.49.0 libebml3 libflac8 libicu48 liblzo2-2 libmatroska5 libogg0 libvorbis0a
Suggested packages:
  mkvtoolnix-gui
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libboost-filesystem1.49.0 libboost-regex1.49.0 libboost-system1.49.0 libebml3 libflac8 libicu48 liblzo2-2 libmatroska5 libogg0 libvorbis0a mkvtoolnix
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
Inst libebml3 (1.2.2-2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Inst libogg0 (1.3.0-4 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Inst libflac8 (1.2.1-6build1 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Inst libicu48 (4.8.1.1-8 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Inst liblzo2-2 (2.06-1build1 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Inst libmatroska5 (1.3.0-2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Inst libvorbis0a (1.3.2-1.3 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Inst libboost-system1.49.0 (1.49.0-3.1ubuntu1.2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal-updates [amd64])
Inst libboost-filesystem1.49.0 (1.49.0-3.1ubuntu1.2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal-updates [amd64])
Inst libboost-regex1.49.0 (1.49.0-3.1ubuntu1.2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal-updates [amd64])
Inst mkvtoolnix (5.1.0-1ubuntu2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Conf libebml3 (1.2.2-2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Conf libogg0 (1.3.0-4 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Conf libflac8 (1.2.1-6build1 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Conf libicu48 (4.8.1.1-8 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Conf liblzo2-2 (2.06-1build1 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Conf libmatroska5 (1.3.0-2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Conf libvorbis0a (1.3.2-1.3 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])
Conf libboost-system1.49.0 (1.49.0-3.1ubuntu1.2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal-updates [amd64])
Conf libboost-filesystem1.49.0 (1.49.0-3.1ubuntu1.2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal-updates [amd64])
Conf libboost-regex1.49.0 (1.49.0-3.1ubuntu1.2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal-updates [amd64])
Conf mkvtoolnix (5.1.0-1ubuntu2 Ubuntu:12.10/quantal [amd64])

As you can see it would install version 5.1.0. This version will work just fine. So lets install it.

sudo apt-get install mkvtoolnix

When the installation is done you have to put the script somewhere on your hdd. I put it in the sickbeard folder.

So my script is located in:

/home/user/my-sickbeard-install/repairMKV.sh 

Make it executable:

chmod +x repairMKV.sh

Now the script should already work when you use it manually. To make sure that it will work with sickbeard you should try it now. See the above samples for how to use it.

Next step is to configure sickbeard. For this you have to shutdown it. You can do this in the webgui.

When sickbeard is down go into your sickbeard installation folder and open the config.ini with your preferred editor.

vi /home/user/my-sickbeard-install/config.ini 

Search for the line extra_scripts = . Here we have to enter the absolute path to the script. It won't work with the relative path.

extra_scripts = /home/user/my-sickbeard-install/repairMKV.sh 

Save the config.ini and close it. Now you can start sickbeard again.

The last part is to pre create the logfile which this script creates. You also have to set the correct permission or sickbeard will output an error that it has no permission to write in the logfile.

I just set the permission to 777 for the file.

touch /tmp/repairMKV.log
chmod 777 /tmp/repairMKV.log 

To see if everything is working you can download a new episode with sickbeard and check the logfile later or use the manual post-processing.

I used the manual post-processing. This is the output:

Postprocessing results
Processing folder /home/user/Downloads/complete/sickbeard_tmp
Processing /home/user/Downloads/complete/sickbeard_tmp/Drugs.Inc.S01E04.Marijuana.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-DON.mkv (None)
Parsed Drugs.Inc.S01E04.Marijuana.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-DON.mkv into Drugs Inc - S1E4 - Marijuana.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264 (DON) [ABD: False]
Checking scene exceptions for a match on Drugs Inc
Looking up Drugs Inc in the DB
Looking up name Drugs Inc on TVDB
Lookup successful, using tvdb id 174501
Loading show object for tvdb_id 174501
Retrieving episode object for 1x4
Looking up quality for name sickbeard_tmp, got Unknown
Looking up quality for name Drugs.Inc.S01E04.Marijuana.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-DON.mkv, got HD TV
Is ep a priority download: False
There is no existing file so there's no worries about replacing it
Found release name Drugs.Inc.S01E04.Marijuana.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-DON
Destination folder for this episode: /home/user/Downloads/complete/Sickbeard/Drugs, Inc
Moving file from /home/user/Downloads/complete/sickbeard_tmp/Drugs.Inc.S01E04.Marijuana.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-DON.mkv to /home/user/Downloads/complete/Sickbeard/Drugs, Inc/Drugs.Inc.S01E04.Marijuana.HD.TV.mkv
Executing command 
Absolute path to script: /home/user/my-sickbeard-install/repairMKV.sh
Script result: 
Filename: /home/user/Downloads/complete/Sickbeard/Drugs, Inc/Drugs.Inc.S01E04.Marijuana.HD.TV.mkv
repair is not needed, mkv version is not higher than 5.8.0 it is 3.2.0

Processing succeeded for /home/user/Downloads/complete/sickbeard_tmp/Drugs.Inc.S01E04.Marijuana.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-DON.mkv

As you can see it finds the script and starts it. Everything went fine.

Samsung Environment: UE65KS9090, UE55D7090, BD-C5900, BD-D5300

Comments

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,176Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Hi HD1080

I looked at your script, and don't think this will work correctly in all cases ^_^

First of all, you are grepping the writing application, but never versions of mkvmerge can write without compression, so maybe it would be better to grep for something like: "(MKVInfo) |    + Content compression"

Secondly, you are running the mux on only the first track, but what if the file contains more tracks with compression enabled?

This is from Servio Forums, showing howto run on multiple tracks: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=header_com

You might also wants to add disabling of cue_duration and cue_relative_position

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57680-problems-with-latest-update-of-plex-app-on-samsung-smart-tv/?p=346413

But when that's said, I love your script, as it is one of the best so far out in the wild

Best Regards

Tommy

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• hd1080hd1080 Plex for Samsung Moderator Posts: 1,110Members ✭✭
    edited March 2013
    dane22 wrote on March 18 2013, 3:35 PM: »

Hi HD1080

I looked at your script, and don't think this will work correctly in all cases ^_^

First of all, you are grepping the writing application, but never versions of mkvmerge can write without compression, so maybe it would be better to grep for something like: "(MKVInfo) |    + Content compression"

Secondly, you are running the mux on only the first track, but what if the file contains more tracks with compression enabled?

This is from Servio Forums, showing howto run on multiple tracks: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=header_com

You might also wants to add disabling of cue_duration and cue_relative_position

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57680-problems-with-latest-update-of-plex-app-on-samsung-smart-tv/?p=346413

But when that's said, I love your script, as it is one of the best so far out in the wild

Best Regards

Tommy

I know it's not the perfect script but it works fine for me :)

I never had the problem with header compression, had only the problem with the new mkvmerge version which adds the cue_duration und cue_relative_position. The script remerges the file with an older version of mkvmerge so my files are working now.

Also my old mkvmerge version doesn't have the option to disable/enable the cue_duration und cue_relative_position. This would only be needed if you use mkvmerge 5.9.0+

About the header compression, didn't know that I can compress every track in a mkv. Thought header compression is for the whole .mkv file.

Just found this in the mkvmerge docu:

The special track ID '-1' is a wild card and applies the given switch to all tracks that are read from an input file.

So it will work just fine.

PS: Feel free to alter this script for your needs.

I updated the script and updated the first post. There was a problem when you manually start the script and abort the mkvmerge process, then it deleted your file and you were left with an half fixed file.

I also added that it checks for compression. It now works too with the latest mkvmerge version. So I think this script is now complete. 

• RockStarRockStar Posts: 2,047Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This is great stuff, but id really prefer it if PMS inplemented such routines for all new files added. Thx for the fix!
    Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

I updated the script, had some bugs in it that it stopped after the first repair. Also compression didn't work when you wanted to repair a folder.

• neckarosneckaros Posts: 255Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2013
    Thank you so much! Maybe you should pin this post?
    I will try on Mac. It would work as well
    edited March 2013

It seems to work on mac (install mac port http://www.macports.org/install.php and then in terminal:  sudo port install mkvtoolnix)

but i get "unable to check version" on most file.

Is it expected? not sure to understand the grep but i see a file version when i simply do a "mkvinfo" on the file.

Is it because i'm on a french computer? i have to change the line to: MKVVERSION=`mkvinfo "$FILE" | grep "écriture" | awk '{print $6} ?

+ En-tête EBML
    |+ Version EBML : 1
    |+ Version EBML lue : 1
    |+ Longueur maximale de l'identifiant EBML : 4
    |+ Longueur maximale de la taille EBML : 8
    |+ Type de document : matroska
    |+ Version du type de document : 2
    |+ Version lue du type de document : 2
    + Segment, taille 1434930680
    |+ En-tête de recherche (sous-entrées ignorées)
    |+ EbmlVoid (taille : 4044)
    |+ Informations sur le segment
    | + Coefficient temporel : 1000000
    | + Application de multiplexage : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0
    | + Application d'écriture : mkvmerge v6.0.0 ('Coming Up For Air') built on Jan 20 2013 13:20:47
    | + Durée : 2468.448s (00:41:08.448)
    | + Date : Sun Mar 24 14:09:54 2013 UTC
    | + UID du segment: 0xf9 0xaa 0x9e 0x31 0xd5 0xd1 0x5f 0x02 0xdc 0x55 0xd0 0xf2 0xfb 0x2b 0x2c 0x30
    |+ Pistes du segment
    | + Une piste
    |  + Numéro de piste : 1 (identifiant de piste pour mkvmerge & mkvextract : 0)
    |  + UID de la piste : 1227499412
    |  + Type de piste : video
    |  + Marque de laçage : 0
    |  + Cache minimum : 1
    |  + Identifiant du codec : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    |  + Données de codec privées, longueur 92 (profil h.264 : High @L3.1)
    |  + Durée par défaut : 41.708ms (23.976 images/champs par seconde pour une piste vidéo)
    |  + Piste vidéo
    |   + Largeur (pixels) : 1280
    |   + Hauteur (pixels) : 720
    |   + Largeur à l'écran : 1280
    |   + Hauteur à l'écran : 720
    | + Une piste
    |  + Numéro de piste : 2 (identifiant de piste pour mkvmerge & mkvextract : 1)
    |  + UID de la piste : 867298700
    |  + Type de piste : audio
    |  + Identifiant du codec : A_AC3
    |  + Durée par défaut : 32.000ms (31.250 images/champs par seconde pour une piste vidéo)
    |  + Audio track
    |   + Fréquence d'échantillonnage : 48000
    |   + Canaux : 6
    | + Une piste
    |  + Numéro de piste : 3 (identifiant de piste pour mkvmerge & mkvextract : 2)
    |  + UID de la piste : 1453215417
    |  + Type de piste : subtitles
    |  + Identifiant du codec : S_TEXT/UTF8
    |  + Langue : und
    |+ EbmlVoid (taille : 1127)
    |+ Cluster

but indeed in this one i don't see any version number:

+ En-tête EBML
    |+ Version EBML : 1
    |+ Version EBML lue : 1
    |+ Longueur maximale de l'identifiant EBML : 4
    |+ Longueur maximale de la taille EBML : 8
    |+ Type de document : matroska
    |+ Version du type de document : 2
    |+ Version lue du type de document : 2
    + Segment, taille 1427555659
    |+ En-tête de recherche (sous-entrées ignorées)
    |+ Informations sur le segment
    | + Coefficient temporel : 1000000
    | + Application de multiplexage : mkv2rls x264-tv version built on 2011. febr. 17
    | + Application d'écriture : x264.exe
    | + Durée : 2601.391s (00:43:21.391)
    |+ Pistes du segment
    | + Une piste
    |  + Numéro de piste : 1 (identifiant de piste pour mkvmerge & mkvextract : 0)
    |  + UID de la piste : 2864556433
    |  + Type de piste : video
    |  + Identifiant du codec : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    |  + Données de codec privées, longueur 40 (profil h.264 : High @L4.1)
    |  + Durée par défaut : 41.708ms (23.976 images/champs par seconde pour une piste vidéo)
    |  + Cache minimum : 1
    |  + Piste vidéo
    |   + Largeur (pixels) : 1280
    |   + Hauteur (pixels) : 720
    | + Une piste
    |  + Numéro de piste : 2 (identifiant de piste pour mkvmerge & mkvextract : 1)
    |  + UID de la piste : 2864556435
    |  + Type de piste : audio
    |  + Identifiant du codec : A_AC3
    |  + Durée par défaut : 32.000ms (31.250 images/champs par seconde pour une piste vidéo)
    |  + Audio track
    |   + Fréquence d'échantillonnage : 48000
    |   + Canaux : 6
    |+ EbmlVoid (taille : 109)
    |+ Cluster

Ok i fixed it. You have to change every

mkvinfo "$FILE"

with

mkvinfo "$FILE" --ui-language en_US

• ScouzerScouzer Posts: 201Members ✭✭

It would be cool with a version that works with Transmission on Readynas

neckaros wrote on March 25 2013, 10:51 AM: »

Ok i fixed it. You have to change every

mkvinfo "$FILE"

with

mkvinfo "$FILE" --ui-language en_US

Thank you, I changed it in the script.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,277Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited March 2013

Found this post with more MKV "problem" properties to avoid for hardware players.

Also a nice read for those who want to know why some movies behave odd with searching and scrolling.(and that it's not always our app :P)

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

The fact that we are stuck on an old firmware version because of the black level issue might not help!

I also added a call to this very good script to extract subtitles from MKV at the end of your script so Samsung TV can display them:

http://www.computernerdfromhell.com/blog/automatically-extract-subtitles-from-mkv/

• jfcgjfcg Posts: 19Members
    neckaros wrote on March 26 2013, 1:05 PM: »

I also added a call to this very good script to extract subtitles from MKV at the end of your script so Samsung TV can display them:

http://www.computernerdfromhell.com/blog/automatically-extract-subtitles-from-mkv/

Would you share this modification for beginners?

Thank you in advance!

• alexvdalexvd Posts: 82Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello I am trying to run this script on my synology nas.   I am getting the following error

RackStation> bash /volume1/scripts/repairMKV.sh /volume1/Media/UsenetTV/Banshee/
     -s
    This is a simulation!
    find: invalid number '100M'
    edited April 2013
    alexvd wrote on April 7 2013, 3:11 AM: »

Hello I am trying to run this script on my synology nas.   I am getting the following error

RackStation> bash /volume1/scripts/repairMKV.sh /volume1/Media/UsenetTV/Banshee/
     -s
    This is a simulation!
    find: invalid number '100M'

Look for this line:

for x in $(find $FILEPATH -name *.mkv -type f -size +100M)

and delete the "-size +100M"

edited April 2013
    jfcg wrote on April 4 2013, 10:12 PM: »

Would you share this modification for beginners?

Thank you in advance!

Here is the modified script (i removed the end credit removal and filtered only on .SRT as they are the only one supported by Plex for Samsung)

And i modified HD1080 script by adding the bellow

then
      echo "Input argument is a file: $FILEPATH" >> $LOGFILE
      checkMKV $FILEPATH

this code:

echo "Calling Subtitle ripper for: $FILEPATH" >> $LOGFILE
      /Users/server/scripts/ripsubtitles.sh $FILEPATH

/Users/server/scripts/ripsubtitles.sh is the path on your hardrive for the rupsubtitles script. You have to chmod -x as for HD1080 script.

so you get something like this:

then
      checkMKV $FILEPATH
      /folder/path/toyourscript/ripsubtitles.sh $FILEPATH
    else
      echo "Wrong input: $FILEPATH. This is not a file nor folder!"

• jfcgjfcg Posts: 19Members

Thank you so much!

neckaros wrote on April 7 2013, 4:56 PM: »

Here is the modified script (i removed the end credit removal and filtered only on .SRT as they are the only one supported by Plex for Samsung)

And i modified HD1080 script by adding the bellow

then
      checkMKV $FILEPATH

this code:

/Users/server/scripts/ripsubtitles.sh $FILEPATH

/Users/server/scripts/ripsubtitles.sh is the path on your hardrive for the rupsubtitles script. You have to chmod -x as for HD1080 script.

so you get something like this:

then
      checkMKV $FILEPATH
      /folder/path/toyourscript/ripsubtitles.sh $FILEPATH
    else
      echo "Wrong input: $FILEPATH. This is not a file nor folder!"

• alexvdalexvd Posts: 82Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2013

HI thankyou so much. I got it working after removing the line you specified. It works excellent!!!! I have an issue when I run manually against files which have parenthesis for specifying the year. I am getting an error.

RackStation> bash /volume1/scripts/repairMKV.sh /volume1/Media/UsenetTV/The Americans (2013) -ash: syntax error: unexpected "("

alexvd wrote on April 8 2013, 12:17 AM: »

HI thankyou so much. I got it working after removing the line you specified. It works excellent!!!! I have an issue when I run manually against files which have parenthesis for specifying the year. I am getting an error.

RackStation> bash /volume1/scripts/repairMKV.sh /volume1/Media/UsenetTV/The Americans (2013) -ash: syntax error: unexpected "("

You have to put it in quotes then.

/volume1/scripts/repairMKV.sh "/volume1/Media/UsenetTV/The Americans (2013)"