If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playing Local Files From USB Drive

elberracoelberraco Posts: 1Members

Hi,

New user here. I would like to congratulate you guys for the efforts trying to get the Rasplex project working. I have been trying to get Raspbmc to work in my network, and I haven't been able to do it. So, I decided to give Rasplex a try and it has been awesome so far.

My question is, can Rasplex or Plex play local files from a USB drive?

I want to replace the outdate and broken DVD player in my car with a Raspberry Pi, and Rasplex, so far, is winning the race :).

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Tagged:

Comments

• a_weina_wein Posts: 274Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    RasPlex is not a stanalone solution. It's designed to work with a Media Server.
    It's possible to play local media but not supported by default.
    You should go for XBMC if you want a standalone solution.
  • MCMORRIS06MCMORRIS06 Posts: 73Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

That is what i want to do as dvd just get scratched in the car and a pain to play when car is in motion it blocks navigation so my passanger cant even go to the menu to play it unleess you stop the car!!!! 

I would think plex sync could be added to the rasplex just like all other ios and android clients!! It would be so nice if i can set my car rasplex to sync set videos and when it connects to my home network in the garage it would sync the video to the local sd or usb of the rasplex??? 

Anyone out there know how or if plex sync could be added to the rasplex it would be awsome in car media center!!!!!!

Thanks

• jgearingerjgearinger Posts: 65Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You would probably be better served by by an android computer... you could load Plex for android and get plex sync... they are about size of as pi... just 10x price...

• iBobikiBobik Posts: 4Members ✭✭

@a_wein You told it is possible to play local medial. Could you white me how, please?

I use Rasplex to play media from my home server, but sometimes I am going to use it as offline player at party outside home and I don't want to install XBMC only for this.

• hexum311adhexum311ad Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass

bump to this!

My situation is I have a Rasplex client in my bedroom where the wireless signal isn't so great so what I'd like to do is loadup my thumbdrive with some media and then use the rasplex to play it at night.

PMS Primary Server 1 - Windows 8.1 Desktop
    Intel Core i7 3.5ghz / 8GB DDR3 / 512GB SSD in RAID 0 / Geforce GTX 660

PMS Private Server 2 - OSX 10.9 Macpro 1,1

2 x 3.0GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon / 13GB DDR2 / 256GB SSD / Geforce 8800 GT 512mb

Clients:

Raspberry Pi (rasplex) / Roku / Chromecast / iPad Mini / iOS phones / Win XP thin client

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,732Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    hexum311ad wrote on October 13 2014, 12:53 AM: »

bump to this!

My situation is I have a Rasplex client in my bedroom where the wireless signal isn't so great so what I'd like to do is loadup my thumbdrive with some media and then use the rasplex to play it at night.

iBobik wrote on October 7 2014, 10:17 AM: »

@a_wein You told it is possible to play local medial. Could you white me how, please?

I use Rasplex to play media from my home server, but sometimes I am going to use it as offline player at party outside home and I don't want to install XBMC only for this.

It is impossible for Rasplex to play media from any type of local storage.  Rasplex is Plex HT and therefore needs a connection to a server.

Sorry.

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • dericdddericdd Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bump for this feature. It would be awesome if you could sync content to RasPlex client the same way we do to Android and iOS devices.

Ned: I know you say it is not possible... but I say why? It obviously is possible or my phone and tablets would not be synching content... What elements are missing? Some sort of local plex service that feeds the content to local connection (and perhaps shares with other devices too)? (just guessing)

A few months ago I got Plex Media Server running on a RPI-2 and asides from not being able to transcode it worked just fine. (Hmm... I think i might play around with this a bit). Perhaps this might be a solution that satisfies some of us.

http://www.htpcguides.com/raspberry-pi-2-home-media-server-installer-image/
    http://www.htpcguides.com/install-plex-media-server-on-raspberry-pi-2/

RasPlex is an awesome device and is a few features away from being the perfect all-in-one solution... Why not address this feature?

Yeah it will not be a simple feat to get Plex Media Server running on same machine as RasPlex...

elberraco: So to answer the original message of this thread: "My question is, can Rasplex or Plex play local files from a USB drive?"

The only solution I can think of is to use two Raspberry-PI devices... Preferably model 3. So not a direct answer, but if you want to be able to read stuff into Plex off a USB key, this is the best idea I can come up with.

1) Install and setup Plex Media Server on the first Raspberry PI.
    -Follow these instructions: http://www.htpcguides.com/raspberry-pi-2-home-media-server-installer-image/
    -Just setup the media server to read from the USB key.
    NOTE: It seems that Plex is not able to read files from dynamically mounted USB key. So just make an entry in /etc/fstab to automount USB key and then Plex will be able to read the disk. No idea why that is, but fstab entry worked nicely. (Write back if u run into trouble with this.)

2) Use second RPI for RasPlex.

3) Once you have those going u can either use one of the RPIs to create a wifi access point or simply use your cell phone to teather the two devices together. (this is why I recommend RPI-3... has wifi built in). There are certainly a bunch of ways to get networking sorted out.

Not the answer you would have been looking for but an acceptible workaround for easy mobile Plexing...

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 368Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dericdd said:
    Bump for this feature. It would be awesome if you could sync content to RasPlex client the same way we do to Android and iOS devices.

Ned: I know you say it is not possible... but I say why? It obviously is possible or my phone and tablets would not be synching content... What elements are missing? Some sort of local plex service that feeds the content to local connection (and perhaps shares with other devices too)? (just guessing)

don't expect Ned to answer you any time soon

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Posts: 993Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Local play is support by theme without all the fancy Plex features in OpenPHT. Try Black Edition and enable 'Play File' in the menu options.

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

Thanx man! That is an awesome feature! I will certainly be playing with this :)

• Atomix10PiAtomix10Pi Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@benjaminwolf, there is an issue with the Local PLay. version 1.8.0 for the RPi2&3. Whenever I try to do that the system crashes and reboots. the file is in mp3.