If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Image caching problem

jwrayjwray Posts: 1,268Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Hi,

Making progress on my plugin but hitting a snag that looks (to the naive eye) like it's something to do with images and caching.

I'm creating a list of directory items by, in a loop, calling

dir.Append(Function(DirectoryItem(Channel, title=title), breadcrumb=title, url=url))

which works fine. However, when I attempt to add a thumbnail image to the item with

dir.Append(Function(DirectoryItem(Channel, title=title, thumb=thumb), breadcrumb=title, url=url))

where thumb is a url to an image on the web site I'm parsing.

I'm seeing a couple of odd things:
* First, all my directory items have the same image, rather than their specific thumb. The parsed urls are different.
* If I remove the thumb=thumb to attempt to remove the thumbnail the image remains in the info list.

Again, I'm sure it's something obvious so pointers would be great.

Also, I can't get rid of the background art I tried once by specifying in the AddPrefixHandler. Similar issue/misunderstanding?

thanks
Jonny

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,397Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Jonny Wray wrote on May 19 2009, 06:45 PM:
    * First, all my directory items have the same image, rather than their specific thumb. The parsed urls are different.

The thumbs are computed and stored based on the URL of the each item itself (the key) rather than the thumb URLs themselves. It's possible that you had incorrect data and they got cached incorrectly. Try clearing out ~/Library/Application Support/Plex/userdata/Thumbnails/Video (assuming it's a video plug-in) and restart Plex.

* If I remove the thumb=thumb to attempt to remove the thumbnail the image remains in the info list.

That points to it having been incorrectly cached.

Also, I can't get rid of the background art I tried once by specifying in the AddPrefixHandler. Similar issue/misunderstanding?

It could be, yeah; the backgrounds live in the ...thumbnails/Programs/Fanart directory, you can clear them out.

Sorry for the trouble :)

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• jwrayjwray Posts: 1,268Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Thanks for the reply. Not so much trouble as me not understanding the caching mechanism or how to clear it out. That should be enough to get me over this hump.

Thanks,
    Jonny.

elan wrote on May 20 2009, 07:33 AM:
    The thumbs are computed and stored based on the URL of the each item itself (the key) rather than the thumb URLs themselves. It's possible that you had incorrect data and they got cached incorrectly. Try clearing out ~/Library/Application Support/Plex/userdata/Thumbnails/Video (assuming it's a video plug-in) and restart Plex.

That points to it having been incorrectly cached.

It could be, yeah; the backgrounds live in the ...thumbnails/Programs/Fanart directory, you can clear them out.

Sorry for the trouble :)