If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Ready NAS 516

uwhtpuwhtp Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm Looking a Getting a All in One Plex Media Center, I noticed that Most NAS boxes have a Very Low end CPU such as an ATOM, the ReadyNAS 516 has a Intel® Ivy Bridge Core i3-3220 3.3GHz dual core and 4Gb of RAM for anyone's experience do you think this would be good for Plex+ trans-coding and how many 1080p streams do you think would be possible?

RN516_Main18-73227.jpg

A side note how does ReadyNAS run plex overall with a price tag of $1200 USD would you think its worth it outside of building one.. or any recommendations would be very helpful

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    uwhtp wrote on April 17 2013, 6:04 AM: »

I'm Looking a Getting a All in One Plex Media Center, I noticed that Most NAS boxes have a Very Low end CPU such as an ATOM, the ReadyNAS 516 has a Intel® Ivy Bridge Core i3-3220 3.3GHz dual core and 4Gb of RAM for anyone's experience do you think this would be good for Plex+ trans-coding and how many 1080p streams do you think would be possible?

A side note how does ReadyNAS run plex overall with a price tag of $1200 USD would you think its worth it outside of building one.. or any recommendations would be very helpful

Thanks

have a read through the NAS guide sticky at the top of the forum.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
    Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3
  • uwhtpuwhtp Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, i did read that as well as looked at the google doc of ones that have worked but with this using a i3 i was wondering its capability or if there was a different one that could be recommend that would work as good or better for the price

again thank you

• tobiashietatobiashieta Plex Dev Team Posts: 5,528Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    That's what I use and I am very happy with it.

Follow me on twitter @tobiashieta or G+

• GovnahGovnah Posts: 81Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Tobias,

Received my 516 today and was curious how would one go about installing the preview release via the 516 GUI? I called NTGR and they indicated all apps must be installed via the Genie Store. I have SSH access and could install from the console, but would like to know the proper steps to verify I install correctly.

Thanks

• tobiashietatobiashieta Plex Dev Team Posts: 5,528Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    I think the latest software has a dialog for it. Otherwise upload the .deb and then run dpkg -i <package>

Tobias Hieta wrote on April 18 2013, 4:21 PM: »

I think the latest software has a dialog for it. Otherwise upload the .deb and then run dpkg -i <package>

Thanks! Last question, what dir from my current ReadyNAS Pro 6 would I copy over to the 516 to avoid rescraping my entire library, which is ~8TB? I have copied the entire .plex dir between like ReadyNASs' but given the 516 is a different kernel, I would imagine install the correct binary for OS6 and just copt the Library directory??

Thanks Again for the assistance and a great product!!!!

Just a FYI:

root@ReadyNAS_516:/data/Documents/Plex# dpkg -i plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.7.23.525-e6ac6cc_amd64.deb
    (Reading database ... 17157 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries 0.9.7.16.462-6ed0547 (using plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.7.23.525-e6ac6cc_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries:
     plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries depends on plexmediaserver-ros6 (>= 0.9.7.23.525-e6ac6cc); however:
      Version of plexmediaserver-ros6 on system is 0.9.7.16.462-6ed0547.

dpkg: error processing plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries

Ah. Yeah I have to think out a good solution for that... Hmm.

• campfourcampfour Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

so is the short answer plex will run on the 516 but you have to start with a clean build and are not able to migrate an existing server into the NAS?

• ray@raydavis.co.ukray@raydavis.co.uk Posts: 12Members

I also have the RN516 and am happy with it running Plex streaming to Plex clients running on iOS/Android/Googe TV/Mac, however I have an issue (see http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/69460-readynas-os-6-plex-server-version-too-old-for-windows-8-client/) where I purchased the Windows 8 Plex client and it requires a later version of the Plex server compared to what comes shipped with the ReadyNAS OS 6.0.6 firmware.

Tobias, do you run the version of the Plex server that comes with the ReadyNAS 6.0.6 firmware or do you run the latest version? If you run the default version do you have connection problems from the WIndows 8 client?

• btarolibtaroli Posts: 159Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The issue with the packaging, as far as I can tell, is that there are TWO packages for ROS6. The download link for Netgear R6 gives you plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.7.26.548-47ad65c_amd64.deb but there is a second /dependent/ package plexmediaserver-ros6_0.9.7.26.548-47ad65c_amd64.deb. I found I could retrieve the second if I manually altered the URL in my browser. With both these in hand, and making sure to shut down the PLEX application on the RN, you then simply ssh to the NAS and:

#dpkg -i plexmediaserver-ros6_0.9.7.26.548-47ad65c_amd64.deb plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.7.26.548-47ad65c_amd64.deb

#touch /apps/plexmediaserver/.localapp

In THAT order. When I tried to accomplish this from the web GUI, it always seemed to result in failure. :-( My suspicion is that this has something to do with how PLEX is bundled with the ROS6 releases. It's there, but it doesn't actually get installed until you try to turn it on -- and thus why the need for two packages?

MInd you, there's a .27 now, but that's how I got it to work. In fact, I just tried to download .27 and got host not found errors. Hmm... will try from home again later.

I am tempted to do as you say above on my RN516, however I do have an open support ticket with Netgear support so was kind of interested to see what they do to resolve this.

One question though, with what you have provided above, do you know if that would interfere with the Netgear provided Plex version? (i.e. when Netgear update the ReadyNAS with new firmware that includes the later versions of Plex, would this stop that process from working? or is what you have provided above reversible such that you can uninstall Plex and let the Netgear firmware install the version they have provided?

m1sterd wrote on June 3 2013, 8:54 PM: »

One question though, with what you have provided above, do you know if that would interfere with the Netgear provided Plex version?

That is an excellent question, and I sadly don't have a good answer. I wasn't taking any pains to update PLEX on ROS6 until I was already running 6.0.6 on my RN516. So I guess we won't know for sure until 6.0.7. BUT, if they are using dpkg to "upgrade", then it may be safe... dpkg won't downgrade without a force.

I must admit that while it seems nice to have PLEX front and center with new ROS6 installations, it is also a bit of a headache, too. But I see this as much an issue with how ROS6 manages "apps" as anything. Not really a PLEX issue, per se.

I installed 6.0.7 the other day but now have even more issues with the Genie App store, I have several support tickets open, one of them covering Plex version not compatible with Window 8 client, one covering Plex running but not showing as running on the installed apps screen. I have had responses from Netgear on both so they are aware, but there was a response in the Plex forums indicating there may be a quicker way to update the Plex app without having to wait for new releases of ReadyNAS firmware being looked at.
  • mdgmmdgm Posts: 261Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    There should be a remove button for Plex in the Dashboard that you can use to uninstall it if you want to.

I don't think a firmware update would downgrade Plex but if it is not installed it would install it.
  • jak78007jak78007 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello, 

I've got the same kind of issue in 6.0.8 version :

When I try to start Plex from the UI plugin of the Netgear console, the state of the server  finally remains with OFF" status.

I am not able to use the update Button nor the new "remove" link, as I tried to remove and re install Plex.

Did you find a solution ?

edited June 2013

I found that after updating to 6.0.8 that the Plex server was still the older version when it should have also been the updated version, I did not see an update button for Plex. I first tried the Remove option which failed to work, I then logged into the ReadyNAS via SSH and went into the /apps/ directory and moved the plexserver folder such that it was no longer under /apps/. I then went into the ReadyNAS admin console and the option to install it under available apps was there, I clicked install and it installed for me as expected, being the later version. However the issue with doing this that I see (and there may be more so I wouldnt necessarily recommend this approach) is that all the movies/music/apps you have configured is lost.

I am sure others could advise a better approach.

I have noticed that since doing this that the Plex server seems to now always show as running rather than as before showing in an Off state even though it was On.

• jak78007jak78007 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    m1sterd wrote on June 28 2013, 12:49 PM: »

I found that after updating to 6.0.8 that the Plex server was still the older version when it should have also been the updated version, I did not see an update button for Plex. I first tried the Remove option which failed to work, I then logged into the ReadyNAS via SSH and went into the /apps/ directory and moved the plexserver folder such that it was no longer under /apps/. I then went into the ReadyNAS admin console and the option to install it under available apps was there, I clicked install and it installed for me as expected, being the later version. However the issue with doing this that I see (and there may be more so I wouldnt necessarily recommend this approach) is that all the movies/music/apps you have configured is lost.

I am sure others could advise a better approach.

I have noticed that since doing this that the Plex server seems to now always show as running rather than as before showing in an Off state even though it was On.

This worked ! Thank you very much.

• mdgmmdgm Posts: 261Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2013

I updated my ReadyNAS 516 to 6.0.8 and did a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything). Had no issues installing and setting up Plex.

Just transcoded a 1080p video and streamed it to my iPad over Wi-Fi. It played smoothly. The Ivy Bridge CPU in the ReadyNAS 516 is very powerful

I just made the jump to move my RN516 to "production" and am considering moving my PMS from a Pro 6 to RN516 instead. But the bundled PMS was still 0.9.7 in ROS 6.0.8. So I tried apply9ing the 0.9.9.3 "binaries" deb package... failure. I still had to apply both the "ros6" and "ros6-binaries" packages with dpkg (as I documented previously in this thread) in order to get it to appy properly. Weird, but oh well... at least we've captured the process. :D